Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for a condo to Purchase in Puerto Vallarta

Is this to be a sound business investment, generating revenue, or is it a place you want to keep open, and personal, that you can come and party once in a while?

If you are looking for investment, I would be looking south to the El Tuito area. There is a huge reservoir going in there to service Cabos Corrientos. A twenty mile white sand beach, one of the few wild, natural locations left in Mexico. Then the already in place, Cajon de Pena reservoir, filled with black bass, lobina, and every other shell fish and mollusc you can imagine. My uncle wanted to invest in a fishing cabin/resort there, but his prospective partner was sketchy, and he backed out. There is nothing there like we see on lakes in Canada or the USA. You know. A dock, some gas, a little store selling bait, lures, and aged local Racilla under the table. It is far enough from the ocean that you can get full property titles.

This will give you some information to start. Nice, clean casas and a restaurant. A nature lovers paradise.

https://www.rincondelaceiba.mx/nosotros

16 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Is this to be a sound business investment, generating revenue, or is it a place you want to keep open, and personal, that you can come and party once in a while?

If you are looking for investment, I would be looking south to the El Tuito area. There is a huge reservoir going in there to service Cabos Corrientos. A twenty mile white sand beach, one of the few wild, natural locations left in Mexico. Then the already in place, Cajon de Pena reservoir, filled with black bass, lobina, and every other shell fish and mollusc you can imagine. My uncle wanted to invest in a fishing cabin/resort there, but his prospective partner was sketchy, and he backed out. There is nothing there like we see on lakes in Canada or the USA. You know. A dock, some gas, a little store selling bait, lures, and aged local Racilla under the table. It is far enough from the ocean that you can get full property titles.

This will give you some information to start. Nice, clean casas and a restaurant. A nature lovers paradise.

Except for the raicilla I didn't get much vibe from that place.

17 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I don't recall seeing this; "A twenty mile white sand beach, one of the few wild, natural locations left in Mexico" in that area. Where exactly?

Cabo Corriente is the lighthouse at the end of the beach, around the corner, boat access only, is another beach with a popular hotel/restaurant accessed by water taxi from Boca de Tomalan. The main beach is called Playa Mayto. There is a sprinkle of hotels, guest houses and restaurants there. You tell the restaurant what kind of seasonal seafood you want that evening and they go out and catch. The water is so clean there they have healthy oysters. It is a solitary place, for now, and can be a dangerous one, there have been robberies there, especially if you are driving your own ATV, not the hotel rentals.

The first link is in regards to surf fishing, but it has many photos. The writer of the blog would not tell anybody the location and locals did not think that shore fishing was possible. The second is a youtube of the area. The long term development of this whole area goes, something like, major resorts north of Puerto Vallarta, Puerto Vallarta for sophisticated entertainment etc., south of Puerto Vallarta for eco tourism and whole family vacations.

http://surfishmexico.pbworks.com/w/page/19215735/Surf fishing Mexico in solitude

We spent a lot of time looking at beach condos before concluding it makes no sense to own one unless you are either rich or planning to spend most of your time there.  Some of the things we learned:

1.  A lot of poor quality construction means big expenses as the building ages.  The salt air also greatly increases the maintenance particularly on windows, AC units and outdoor electrical items.

2.  Condo fees are so high in many buildings you could rent for a month or more and still be ahead on cash flow.

3.  Many if not most are rented out much of the time meaning a lot of people coming and going who really don't care about keeping the place clean and quiet.

4.  Buildings with high Mexican ownership are likely to have too much partying and not enough paying one's condo fees.  And the condo laws are really weak in this country, it is quite hard to get people to pay up.  

5.  And finally, you really don't own the place at all, there is no fee simple ownership at the beach.

• Like 3

If you are Mexican you own the place but I have to agree with all your ponts.. We once rented for a month at a condo in Akumal tight on the beach  enjoyed the place for about 3 days and then could not wait to get out. The week-end were hell. A family from Merida had 3 condos and lived with all doors open and the kids rynning from one place to another at all times of the day. Drunk young Americans would come and spend a week or so and never sobered up. There was no sense of community, it was jut awful. The time I enjoyed there is when we got out and visited Merida, part of the Yucatan and went out to see some places in QR. The actual stay at the condo wa awful except for the wonderful breeze and blue water.. but that get pretty boring very fast.

We lived on the water in Northern California for 10 years and yes everything rusts including the car , very quickly.. The tv lasted 6 months and the car 3 years...

• Like 2

Everybodies needs are different. The people who most enjoy waterfront are large families, grandkids, etc. Kids love the water and it seems to give them boundless energy. It seems to me you wrote you have had some great experiences on the Britanny coasts as a young lass. The trouble is that the airline industry did not cooperate, to fly a whole family down to Mexico costs a fortune today.

I have lived in three houses on the beach now, also on a mountaintop overlooking Vancouver, and visited various lakeside cabins. The water is the best. In a forest is second.  Always changing. Always something new.

You definitely need on on site property manager if you cannot do it yourself. It depends on the renters too, I was getting rentals for my parents old place for $1,200 US per week. And that was ten years ago. This was for prime time dates, which meant it was not available to our own family during those times.

On 12/24/2020 at 5:16 PM, CHILLIN said:

Looking at the picture of places West of El Tuito  on that site and on Tomzap it looks more interesting. I will have to return to that area and check out the ocean beaches. 

4 hours ago, cedros said:

Looking at the picture of places West of El Tuito  on that site and on Tomzap it looks more interesting. I will have to return to that area and check out the ocean beaches. 

There's a nice hotel in Mayto, oceanfront with a nice pool. The ocean looks kinda rough for swimming, much like that at the Pink Posada in Manzanillo. A bit further south is Tejua, with a beautiful cove, smaller waves and a restaurant up on the hill to the north with a killer view of everything and fresh seafood.  Until just a few years ago the road from El Tuito was dirt and not passable sometimes but is now paved. There used to be one bus a day from ET that went down there, don't know if there still is. Probably gonna be super developed if it hasn't been yet.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, michael2595 said:

This is to live in full time. My days of investing are over.  

I was thinking it might be a good place to find long term rentals.

It's up to you michael2595. It is easy to buy on the coast and difficult to sell. May I suggest that you RENT for one entire summer BEFORE you buy. It is one thing to be on vacation for a couple of weeks there but, going about the daily business of living in an oppressively hot and humid environment takes a toll on many people. And stick with the PV downtown area... all other areas, up and down the coast there, roll up the sidewalks from June 'til October.

• Like 1

If you mean downtown PV as El Centro, not much happening there. The businesses have been gutted. All the action is south of the river in the so called romantic zone. The gay community there (there are few lesbians in PV, I don' t know why, and I have never asked). Very vibrant and creative, many times over the top. I used to watch this man walk the beach every morning. He was pretty slim, and he had heavy, about 1/4 inch thick nipple rings, which caused his nipples to sag considerably. With his rainbow striped Speedo, walking like he didn't have a care in the world. Every week you will see something that will give your head a shake, or a flirty smile, I don't know how you roll.

23 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

The gay community there (there are few lesbians in PV, I don' t know why, and I have never asked). 

The answer we got from several gays was simple: Gays don't care for lesbians. I have no idea if that is generally true but Chillin is right, gays outnumber lesbians 20:1 in PV. For many years Blue Chairs Resort was the number one destination for Pacific Coast gay men. It's still there, looking a little down in the heels but still attracts a large crowd to their beach club and for nighttime entertainment on the rooftop of the hotel. We lived in the next building south for 4 years until the noise just got too much so we sold and moved further up and inland.

Yes, the last lesbian bar in PV, Apaches, was sold to gay men in the last few years.

Do you mean you moved to Conchas Chinas?  So many flamboyant, over the top people. Who needs telanovellas, just hang out at morning coffee shops to hear the latest gossip. Who was the one who built the (gay) famous Latin fever festival. He bough a three story building right across from a very religious, conservative ladies stationary store, for school supplies. He turned it into Latin America's largest gay club, going 24 hrs a day, with pictures of attractive gay men in the windows. When things got tough, he faked his own kidnapping. You can't this stuff up. But it can become tiring. You will need a quiet break to Chapala 😴😴😴😴

The thing about the Blue Chairs was they were next to a large stone outcrop into the ocean, where apparently, anything goes. Look at the lyrics for " Love on the Rocks" by Neil Diamond. Hilarious, but I am not even hinting that he was gay.

• Haha 2