Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex modem

Drew

When you move to a new place are you supposed to take your Telmex modem with you?I was told by my real estate agent to leave it.They just reinstalled my internet in the new place.No one said anything.A friend told me I need to get the old one from my old house because it's mine and registered to me.What is correct?

The modem goes with the telephone number to which it was assigned. If YOU installed the internet at your last location, then you should have cancelled the internet there and handed in the modem.

This gets fuzzy unless you OWN the place you left and had an arrangement with the new purchasers to take over the internet/phone account. Clear as mud, right?

That is actually not quite accurate. You keep both your contract and your modem. A modem can be plugged in anywhere there is a Telmex contract. The only exception would be is if you cancel your contract. The smart move would be to take your phone number iwth you; that is, have it reassigned by TelMex. But even if you move into a new place and take over a different number, your modem will still work fine.

I know the modem will work with any number that has an internet account. Many of us have bought Telmex modems on Mercado Libre and they are plug and play but ONLY if you have an internet account. That's why I said it gets "muddy".  1) are we talking about a rental house or an owned house? 2)if a rental, did the OP install the telephone and internet there? 3) if the phone was already in the rental, did he add internet to it? 4) if the OP installed the phone in the rental along with the internet, has the OP transported that phone number to his new rental?.... if #4, then he owns the number AND the modem.

Oy vey... so many possibilities. Sorry OP but your post wasn't really clear.

Sigh. The modem actually belongs to Telmex and the serial number of the modem is registered to the telephone number to which the internet has been added. I watched them change that serial number three times when I had to keep taking faulty modems back. Finally I bought two of my own Telmex modems. But, if I ever sell my house and the new owner doesn't want either 1) my telephone line or 2) the internet then I have the last old dead modem that Telmex so kindly gave me to hand in. MY modems go with me and, possibly, my telephone number. There are rarely set in concrete facts in Mexico but there are flexible options depending on the situation.

Wonder where the OP went because I really want to know if the phone number was his and, therefore, movable... including his old modem.

Ok I am the OP.When I got my internet reinstalled at the new house I was given the same phone number but a new modem.After hearing that I should have kept my old modem I went and got it back.I then contacted the tech who installed my new internet and asked him what to do.He said don't worry about it.Just tell Telmex if they ask.That I gave it to the tech already that installed the internet.I gathered from his attitude that it was no big deal.

• Haha 1