Chapala.com Webboard

More Ajijic Plaza info

#HarryB

MC, if you look at the 2nd in the series of photos I posted above, you will see that the funding for this is totally from the State, with no Municipal outlay.  Maybe @HarryBcan tell us whether these funds are earmarked solely for Plaza Reconstruction or if the municipio has the authority to spend it on other infrastructure needs.  

Chapala municipio, after offending Ajijic locals and expats alike with their yellow bathroom tiled crosswalk (at Aquiles Serdan y Ocampo), did allow Ajijic residents to vote on the material they wanted used for future road work.  Residents were allowed to vote in that referendum (I did and am a Permanente, not a MXN citizen). 

I would like to see more local referendums as I think the políticos in Chapala are out of step with the local and expat residents of Ajijic.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

MC, if you look at the 2nd in the series of photos I posted above, you will see that the funding for this is totally from the State, with no Municipal outlay.  Maybe @HarryBcan tell us whether these funds are earmarked solely for Plaza Reconstruction or if the municipio has the authority to spend it on other infrastructure needs.  

Chapala municipio, after offending Ajijic locals and expats alike with their yellow bathroom tiled crosswalk (at Aquiles Serdan y Ocampo), did allow Ajijic residents to vote on the material they wanted used for future road work.  Residents were allowed to vote in that election (I did and am a Permanente, not a MXN citizen). 

I would like to see more local referendums as I think the políticos in Chapala are out of step with the local and expat residents of Ajijic.  

Thank you Bisbee, that is a good reminder.  It appears that Angus is not aware or just wrong again that the Municipio had taken into account the opinions of expats on purely local matters in the past.   Now if we could just get him to go elsewhere to vent his spleen.  I have no illusions he will or has ever done anything to improve Chapala.

Agree with that last sentence wholeheartedly, Bisbee

I think it looks gross!  What is wrong with the traditional design that is currently there?   Leave it alone.   Everyone always has to ruin everything.  Modern is not always better -- especially when you should want to retain some of the cultural integrity of a Pueblo Magico.

They have done enough to modernize the Malecon.  What they might want to focus on is the deteriorating pier and make it return to a great spot to enjoy drinks at sunset -- remember the Tequila Republic?    That would not be a bad place to replicate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Don't doubt the clout that the expat community has on the decision making here locally, even if we can't vote.  When you have 20,000 expats/snowbirds (estimate) spending 1,500 dollars per month (estimate) of money brought in from other countries, you have some impact.  That equates to thirty million dollars per month put into this little local economy.  360,000,000 dollars per year that get spent many times over and that is just the living expenses... not cars, real estate,etc.  So make an effort to express your concerns as members of the community you love.  There are always opposing voices where money is concerned and when political pressure is applied.  Logical explanations when expressed calmly by financially influential elements of society will usually, but certainly not always, prevail.  Do your part to make yourself heard no matter what side of the issue you're on.  Alan

How much money, using your financial mathematical skills, do you think is spent here by MEXICANS, that receive remittances, pensions, and other sources from NOB?

A lot of fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, and daughters are contributing to family support in this area, just like they do all over Mexico.

It´s the number 3 earner of USD in Mexico after petroleum, and tourism and we don´t produce much petroleum here. 

You are correct about remittances, etc.  Huge for all of Mexico.  No idea as to an estimate locally but the largest castillo for patron saint festivities is always the "Ajijic Hijos Ausentes".  This area is unique in that there is a big percentage of relatively wealthy expats who are able and willing to spend our money here compared to that same demographic in most other places.  That was my only point.  As a result, we should have a little more influence in matters that affect the local lifestyle than perhaps in other communities which don't have the same expat population.  I also think it is only natural that locals have the biggest say so in how they want the community to develop.  I'm not hearing a lot of support for the Pueblo Magico "ideal" from locals yet... although there might be more support and money and political will supporting the plan than we are aware of so far.   Alan

8 hours ago, slainte39 said:

How much money, using your financial mathematical skills, do you think is spent here by MEXICANS, that receive remittances, pensions, and other sources from NOB?

A lot of fathers, brothers, sisters, sons, and daughters are contributing to family support in this area, just like they do all over Mexico.

It´s the number 3 earner of USD in Mexico after petroleum, and tourism and we don´t produce much petroleum here. 

The combination of the two plus the big presence of well off Tapatios makes this a pretty rich area by Mexican standards.  You would think with that tax base the local government could keep the main streets swept and all of the streets repaired like I've seen in so many Mexican towns of much more modest means.

• Like 3