Chapala.com Webboard

More Ajijic Plaza info

#HarryB

32 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Sterility seems to be the design of the day for plaza rebuilds. Wide open spaces.

Exactly  Those architectural renderings show the place basically denuded.  If this is really what they have in mind we need to come together as a community and stop this before it happens or we'll end up like Chapala.  Garden club would be a good leader, anyone here from there? 

IMO as an architect engineer these renderings are what might be expected from high school students, not professional architects.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Exactly  Those architectural renderings show the place basically denuded.  If this is really what they have in mind we need to come together as a community and stop this before it happens or we'll end up like Chapala.  Garden club would be a good leader, anyone here from there? 

IMO as an architect engineer these renderings are what might be expected from high school students, not professional architects.

"like" thingie

2 hours ago, #HarryB said:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Harry look at how they depict the area around the middle band stand.  It is hard to judge what they are proposing if this is not properly represented showing the location of everything including trees, benches, art work, gardens.  Professional renderings include the adjacent so one can see how it all fits together.

Still looks like a parking lot. Doesn't look at all conducive to people wanting to hang out there and visit with friends. All those benches will probably still be as vacant in reality as they are in the rendering. There's reasons why plazas in some towns are filled with people and a vibrant slice of local life. This doesn't look like one of those.

What it looks like is something designed by a 30 year-old whose taste runs to all-white and grey homes furnished exclusively with the generic Ikea-look.

• Haha 2

It seems that the only changes, for construction purposes, are along the Northern side of the plaza in front of the Jardin restaurant, the community center, and the old chapel.  That means the restaurant is pretty much out of business and that is the prettiest part of the plaza.  Also in danger are the seating areas for the coffee shop and newly remodeled bar.  Likewise say goodbye to the taco, burger, and hot dog vendors and the produce lady.  Probably the craft vendors along the walkway of Guadalupe Victoria. So anything that makes the area unique and charming is in danger.  I'm in favor of cleaning up the town and repairing the crappy streets.  I'm not sure if putting TV, high speed internet, electrical, and phone cables underground is worth the trouble considering the impact that will have on local business, traffic, and service interruptions now and into the future when those services need to be updated.  The Chapala government should be careful what they wish for.  Local input should be sought and valued and if that can't happen then they should say no thanks to the Pueblo Magico program... especially since once changes are made, the program evolves only to promote more regional tourism.  Is that really what the area needs or wants?  Lots of current infrastructure is already stretched to the breaking point.  Any plans to do those updates?  The current Pueblo Magico program is unfunded.  I'm not sure how they plan to cover the costs since all governments are struggling as well as the local businesses and individuals who are really fighting to stay alive.  Be very careful...Alan

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, barrbower said:

It seems that the only changes, for construction purposes, are along the Northern side of the plaza in front of the Jardin restaurant, the community center, and the old chapel.  That means the restaurant is pretty much out of business and that is the prettiest part of the plaza.  Also in danger are the seating areas for the coffee shop and newly remodeled bar.  Likewise say goodbye to the taco, burger, and hot dog vendors and the produce lady.  Probably the craft vendors along the walkway of Guadalupe Victoria. So anything that makes the area unique and charming is in danger.  I'm in favor of cleaning up the town and repairing the crappy streets.  I'm not sure if putting TV, high speed internet, electrical, and phone cables underground is worth the trouble considering the impact that will have on local business, traffic, and service interruptions now and into the future when those services need to be updated.  The Chapala government should be careful what they wish for.  Local input should be sought and valued and if that can't happen then they should say no thanks to the Pueblo Magico program... especially since once changes are made, the program evolves only to promote more regional tourism.  Is that really what the area needs or wants?  Lots of current infrastructure is already stretched to the breaking point.  Any plans to do those updates?  The current Pueblo Magico program is unfunded.  I'm not sure how they plan to cover the costs since all governments are struggling as well as the local businesses and individuals who are really fighting to stay alive.  Be very careful...Alan

Bang on!!!!!!!

13 minutes ago, barrbower said:

Darn good analysis Alan!!!!

👍👍👍👍

On 11/29/2020 at 4:36 PM, lcscats said:

OK I got this from the boss of the Jardin.  They don't know what is going to happen exactly but Issues like new water lines and new pavers of some kind may close it down but when its over they will open back up the outdoor seating.  They rent the space from Chapala and he said he will help lay stone if thats what it takes to get the outdoor space open. This was four days ago that I talked to him. 

This was posted in an earlier thread.  Just because there are no chairs, tables or umbrellas in the drawings does not necessarily mean the Jardin Plaza restaurant's outdoor seating is gone for good.  

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

This was posted in an earlier thread.  Just because there are no chairs, tables or umbrellas in the drawings does not necessarily mean the Jardin Plaza restaurant's outdoor seating is gone for good.  

It does mean a lot more clarification is needed.  I suspect if put to a community vote one would find a general consensus that most are quite satisfied with our plaza, like the restaurant and coffee shop seating on it, like the vendors on it and would much rather see the money spent on fixing the dismal condition of the streets and sidewalks and the pier here. 

Maybe some of the realtors would like to turn it into Carmel by the lake but I believe they are in the minority.

And Angus, you are right.  Nobody here cares about the opinion of Chapala residents like yourself regarding the Ajijic Plaza.  So why don't you butt out of this thread that doesn't concern you.

I notice you also like to insult Pedro who in fact has lifted quite a few fingers to help Chapala.  I'm sure he could give you some suggestions as to how to become a positive force in your community instead of a negative force in ours.