Chapala.com Webboard

Ordering Electronics From Amazon Mexico Importacion?

FrankyOP

Hey all.  I was looking to get a computer monitor while here in Mexico.  I notice amazon mexico has the model i want but they charge a lot for it compared back to the US.  Such as compared to amazon us or best buy etc. It does show its sold and shipped it from amazon mexico but its really expensive.

I previously have ordered things from amazon mexico with no issue.  Now this computer monitor, i do see it on another page on amazon mexico where the price is much less... and it shows plus an importacion fee.   Its basically the US model of this same monitor and its exactly the same.  When i went to adding it to my cart, it seems to show the price along with the customs fees... and its a good bit cheaper than buying it from the other link directly from amazon mexico.

Has anyone here bought an electronic like a monitor or tv or anything like that... from amazon mexico... and it had the words importacion and had it shipped?  It does seem to take two weeks at least from what it shows.

Also... does anyone know if I could get a free month of amazon prime mexico?  My credit card is from the US though.  I would like to try prime since if i do that to also save the cost.   Because I thought i read if you want to try a month of amazon prime mexico for free... your credit card needs to be registered in mexico... is that correct or incorrect?  Could i get a free month trial of amazon prime mexico using my us credit card?

Now the confusing thing is this.  When i see the same monitor on amazon.com US site... when i add it to my cart... then go to the payment page and then change the address to my apartment im renting here in Mexico, it says its not allowed to ship it here.  Does that mean... it also wouldn't work if i order the item on amazon.mx website?  But why does it seem to allow it when i add that item imported on amazon.mx site?

What I'm confused is I read online some people said when you buy off amazon, it might actually be cheaper buying it off amazon us site and paying the import fees and shipping it here as oppose to buying the same item on amazon mexico site.  But is that what they mean or they do mean buy it off amazon mexico and look for importacion? 

If the order goes through in amazon.mx, does that mean the item will have no issue coming in?  Such as it won't get stopped by customs or things like that?

Your password for Amazon.com and Amazon.com.MX are the same.  Your credit card from U.S., or any other country is valid with both accounts.  We have ordered many items from BOTH sites, electronics included.  Our suggestion, order from the cheapest of the 2 websites.  We have experienced absolutely no problems with customs on any items that we have ordered over the past 20 years using Amazon in Mexico. 

On shipments from the US, Amazon estimates the costs associated with importation and charges you for those in advance. They usually slightly overestimate those charges and make an adjustment when they have been assessed the true cost. This usually results in a small refund for the purchaser. The best thing about all this is that the importation process is handled entirely by Amazon so you are not faced with DHL or Fedex tacking on some ridiculous brokerage or processing charge or having your shipment held up by Aduana in Guadalajara. I've had hundreds of items as varied as clothes hooks, pool pumps and filters, electronics, shoes and on and on, sent by Amazon US to Mexico and never had a problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ibarra said:

Your password for Amazon.com and Amazon.com.MX are the same.  Your credit card from U.S., or any other country is valid with both accounts.  We have ordered many items from BOTH sites, electronics included.  Our suggestion, order from the cheapest of the 2 websites.  We have experienced absolutely no problems with customs on any items that we have ordered over the past 20 years using Amazon in Mexico. 

Hey thanks.  What type of electronics did you buy?  Did you buy any big electronics like monitor or tv?  Or was it smaller electronics?  Because doesn't customs open every package that comes in?  Thus would that increase the chance something as big as a monitor/tv could get damaged in the process?

Well the computer monitor is much more expensive on the amazon mexico site as compared to the amazon us site.  But the big issue is this.  I do see that same monitor on amazon mexico site where it shows the price... and the importacion fees.  Thus imagine there are like two links to the same monitor on amazon mexico.  Well the second monitor is the same thing but the last letter of the model is different.

Amazon mexico has it for a very high price... then they also have it on amazon mexico with a lesser price and the importacion fees.   But they also have it on the amazon US site.  So its like three ways you could buy this monitor.  The big issue is this.  Why is it when i add that computer monitor on the amazon US site... then at the payment page, i change it to a mexican address, it says it cannot ship it here?  Does that mean it's not allowed or something?  Yet... it doesn't seem to be an issue on the amazon mexico page?  Of course i didn't place the order but it did take me to the payment page on amazon mexico when i added that monitor from amazon mexico with importacion ...

10 hours ago, conejorapido said:

On shipments from the US, Amazon estimates the costs associated with importation and charges you for those in advance. They usually slightly overestimate those charges and make an adjustment when they have been assessed the true cost. This usually results in a small refund for the purchaser. The best thing about all this is that the importation process is handled entirely by Amazon so you are not faced with DHL or Fedex tacking on some ridiculous brokerage or processing charge or having your shipment held up by Aduana in Guadalajara. I've had hundreds of items as varied as clothes hooks, pool pumps and filters, electronics, shoes and on and on, sent by Amazon US to Mexico and never had a problem.

Did you buy electronic from amazon mexico where it shows importacion?  Or did you buy the electronic from amazon us site and changed the shipping address from your US address to your mexican address?

When I add the monitor to my cart on my amazon us account, it goes to checkout page and when i change the US address to Mexican address, i get message

Sorry this item can't be shipped to your selected address..  You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.

20 minutes ago, FrankyOP said:

When I add the monitor to my cart on my amazon us account, it goes to checkout page and when i change the US address to Mexican address, i get message

Sorry this item can't be shipped to your selected address..  You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.

Then order from an Amazon supplier  that does ship to Mexico. That's what I  have always done for many purchases large and small. I  only use Amazon US. It usually says "ships to Mexico" under the item.

5 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Then order from an Amazon supplier  that does ship to Mexico. That's what I  have always done for many purchases large and small. I  only use Amazon US. It usually says "ships to Mexico" under the item.

Well if i order the monitor from the amazon us site... well it shows it ships from amazon.com to my US address.  But if i put mexico address, i get that message.

But when i went to the amazon mexico website and saw the exact monitor  on amazon mexico... and the importacion fees... it let me add the item to the cart and it shows the seller as amazon llc etc.  So that would work?  So has you or anyone bought from amazon mexico but the item showed as importacion and then you ordered it and it shipped to you?  

FrankyOP,  you are all over the place with your questions and concerns.   I will try to answer what I can from your questions directed at us.  1.  We do not have a U.S. address, only MX.  So that means our default address is MX.  Items that ship to MX state under the price Ships to Mexico.  If the item is available from Amazon.com.MX, we determine what, if any price difference there is, and order the less expensive option.  2.  We have ordered  laptops and tablets from Amazon MX.  None of the packages have appeared to been opened when we received them. We try to order everything from sites that Amazon provides, not 3rd party sellers.   3.  Some items we have ordered from Amazon.com.MX have been imported.  Usually, like a previous post indicated, a small amount will be refunded about 60 days after delivery for overcharges.

If you want to receive your purchases in MX, change your default address to MX and you will avoid being told "this item doesn't ship to MX".  You will see, like I just told you, Ships to Mexico in item description under the price.  If the item does not say "ships to Mexico", then obviously you will not want to add that item to your cart.

Here is an example of an item from Amazon.com that shows it ships to MX:

Ships to Mexico
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, ibarra said:

FrankyOP,  you are all over the place with your questions and concerns.   I will try to answer what I can from your questions directed at us.  1.  We do not have a U.S. address, only MX.  So that means our default address is MX.  Items that ship to MX state under the price Ships to Mexico.  If the item is available from Amazon.com.MX, we determine what, if any price difference there is, and order the less expensive option.  2.  We have ordered  laptops and tablets from Amazon MX.  None of the packages have appeared to been opened when we received them. We try to order everything from sites that Amazon provides, not 3rd party sellers.   3.  Some items we have ordered from Amazon.com.MX have been imported.  Usually, like a previous post indicated, a small amount will be refunded about 60 days after delivery for overcharges.

If you want to receive your purchases in MX, change your default address to MX and you will avoid being told "this item doesn't ship to MX".  You will see, like I just told you, Ships to Mexico in item description under the price.  If the item does not say "ships to Mexico", then obviously you will not want to add that item to your cart.

Ships to Mexico

Excellent summary.

If anything that I have learned as a customer on both sides of the border is, Amazon stands by their word about customer satisfaction. I would not be worried that any piece of gear could be scratched in transit or customs because if it is, I simply ask for a return at their expense and then re-order.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, ibarra said:

Ships to Mexico

Okay so i put the item you posted in my amazon.com US account.  Then changed address to mexico address and it does ship it... there is a good amount of import fees for it... but it does show it would ship it.  But those monitors i tried... i get that message.  So does that mean those monitors are not able to be shipped then?

But why does it seem if i add the monitor from amazon mexico... that says importacion... it does seem to work?  Well it doesn't... but it does get me to the payment page before confirming order?  Because i thought... how would that work.... since i added the same exact monitor on the amazon US site... but changed the address to mexico and then get that message?

On 12/3/2020 at 10:46 PM, happyjillin said:

Well if i order the monitor from the amazon us site... well it shows it ships from amazon.com to my US address.  But if i put mexico address, i get that message.

But when i went to the amazon mexico website and saw the exact monitor  on amazon mexico... and the importacion fees... it let me add the item to the cart and it shows the seller as amazon llc etc.  So that would work?  So has you or anyone bought from amazon mexico but the item showed as importacion and then you ordered it and it shipped to you?  

Okay would like if someone can explain this.  For example, I tried putting another monitor i saw on amazon mexico where but it shows importacion.  I added it to my cart in amazon mexico and it goes to the payment page... shows the shipping fee and import fess... then show the total amount.  Above it has the confirm if i want to buy it on amazon mexico.

Now with the same monitor... when i go to amazon.com US site... i added it to the cart... changed the address to mexico address... it did show that it would work shipping it here.  But you have to pay a huge fee... 66 dollars for shipping... and almost 20 percent import fees.  I know the import fees you have to pay when buying online.  The thing is if I do this on amazon mexico site... the shipping fees are much less.  Its only 600 peso fee for shipping on amazon mexico... but its more than double it on amazon.com US?  Can someone explain this?

Now this is what doesn't make any sense.  The monitor that I do want... its available on amazon mexico but the price is very high.  But they also sell the US version of the same monitor... on amazon mexico site.  Its basically same monitor... just a one letter difference in the model number which make sense because i know different countries sell the same tv/monitor... but change the letter in the model number.  So on amazon mexico... if i add this to the cart it shows and has a 600 peso shipping fee and also import fee and total price isn't that much.  Now... when i go to amazon US site... put the same monitor to my amazon US account cart... then change the address to Mexico address... it shows an error message of not being able to ship it. 

Can someone explain this?  Why would it seem like i could order the same monitor on amazon mexico imported from the US... but it doesn't allow it on amazon.com US site?  Because my concern is if i do the order on amazon mexico and order it... it won't go through somehow because the same monitor ordered on amazon US... don't allow it.  Has anyone here had an issue like this?  Such that what would happen if order goes through on amazon mexico... then it gets stopped at customs?  Will i get a refund to my credit card or what happens there?  

But with the example of the other monitor... is that what you mean by its cheaper buying it off amazon mexico than amazon US with the example i gave on the other monitor?  You mentioned how order form whichever site is cheaper... but is the example i use what you mean by that?

ibarra... when you say you bought items off amazon mexico with no issue and items didn't appear to be opened... you mean you ordered it off amazon mexico but it was imported from the US right?  Did you ever notice a situation like the one i mentioned with the monitor i want?  Because i thought... if it doesn't ship to Mexico when i put that monitor on amazon US site... then wouldn't the same monitor bought on amazon mexico site imported from the US might have an issue?

Note... it shows Amazon Export Sales LLC as the seller for the monitor... whether i use the amazon us or mexico site.

Also... is it possible to get a free trial of amazon prime with a US credit card?  I keep getting error message showing.

I'm guessing the reason it shows it doesn't ship to Mexico on my amazon US account... but it does seem on my amazon mexico account is because its a different supplier for each of them... is that correct?  But it shows amazon export sales llc... so wouldn't they be the same thing though?

2 hours ago, Brian Dalziel said:

FrankyOP - Did you change your shipping address before adding items into your cart, as ibarra kindly recommended above?  

You mean with my amazon US account?  If so, I did that each time with each different item.  Such as with the item ibarra posted and that would ship to Mexico.  It would work with another monitor i tried.  But the monitor that i want, it showed an error.  Yet... why does the same monitor... seem to show/work on amazon mexico with importacion?

Ordering it directly from amazon mexico and no importation fees cost a lot of pesos more...which is why i ask this.  Now if it was like a few hundred pesos, i wouldn't make it a big deal.  Its close to two thousand more peso difference...

12 hours ago, FrankyOP said:

Okay so i put the item you posted in my amazon.com US account.  Then changed address to mexico address and it does ship it... there is a good amount of import fees for it... but it does show it would ship it.  But those monitors i tried... i get that message.  So does that mean those monitors are not able to be shipped then?

But why does it seem if i add the monitor from amazon mexico... that says importacion... it does seem to work?  Well it doesn't... but it does get me to the payment page before confirming order?  Because i thought... how would that work.... since i added the same exact monitor on the amazon US site... but changed the address to mexico and then get that message?

This has made my head spin. I'm afraid to stand up. Do you even understand this after posting it?

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

This has made my head spin. I'm afraid to stand up. Do you even understand this after posting it?

Okay I will make it very simple question.  If i see the monitor i want on amazon mexico... and it shows it and says the importacion which means it would be coming from the US... then i click add it to cart... then go to payment confirmation page... and it shows the total fees... such as cost... shipping cost... and import fees... and obviously it shows the Mexico address... then the option to click purchase now... then it will one hundred percent go through right?  Im concerned it might get stopped at customs because the same monitor when i add it to the cart in my amazon us account...and change address from us to mexico... shows error and cannot ship from my amazon us account.

Because when i tried doing the same exact thing with another monitor... it would ship with my amazon us account... but of course when you compare the total cost compared to using amazon mexico account, its much more expensive.

Look at this monitor.  This isn't the monitor i want to buy but look at this one.  The one i want to buy... right now its not available on amazon mexico with importacion so I can't post the link to it yet to describe what im talking about.  When the link is available, i can post it.

https://www.amazon.com/AOC-U2790VQ-3840x2160-Frameless-DisplayPort/dp/B07LBM2DCC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=AOC+27+Monitor&qid=1607197047&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com.mx/AOC-Q2778VQE-Pulgadas-DisplayPort-Compatible/dp/B07LBM2DCC/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=aoc+monitor&qid=1607196950&sr=8-4

So if you buy it off amazon US site here... you pay

66 shipping

67 import fees

Total 380 dollars roughly.

If you buy it off amazon mexico and importacion... you pay

4956 pesos

620 peso shipping

1060 import fees

6636 pesos roughly or = 336 dollars.

So in this situation if you want to buy the monitor, you would buy it off amazon mexico as oppose to amazon US correct?  And either way, the shipping would be the same time and carrier, only cheaper on amazon mexico right?

Now in the example I want to use... the same monitor when using amazon mexico importacio vs amazon mexico DIRECTLY ... cost over 2k peso price difference so around 100 dollars more.  So I thought obviously purchase it from amazon mexico importacion as oppose to amazon mexico DIRECTLY if its that big of a price difference.  Of course shipping would take longer.   But what confuses me is why when i add that monitor to my cart  in my amazon US account and change the address to Mexico... it doesn't ship?  Yet the monitor above I posted... when i change the address to Mexico on amazon US... it would ship?  So that concerns me because that might mean the monitor i want to buy on amazon mexico importacion which is much cheaper than amazon mexico DIRECTLY... might not ship from thre US?  Since well i cannot buy it off amazon US.   Like if it shows as able to ship and much more expensive price... well that would make sense and not concern me.  

Does that make sense in what im asking?  Because isn't it the same vendor?  The seller on both sites for the monitor i want to buy shows amazon export sales LLC.

• Sad 1

If you are in Mexico, order from Mexico to get a Mexican warranty, and have no need to worry that the item is imported; most everything is imported from China or the USA, etc., or both. 

If you order it yourself, from a USA source, you may not receive it, as it may be held in customs, or even prohibited without you having an import licence for such items.

If that doesn't explain it, you may just remain confused, scared, and helpless; or maybe just a troll under a bridge, as someone suggested.  Are you?

45 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

If you are in Mexico, order from Mexico to get a Mexican warranty, and have no need to worry that the item is imported; most everything is imported from China or the USA, etc., or both. 

If you order it yourself, from a USA source, you may not receive it, as it may be held in customs, or even prohibited without you having an import licence for such items.

If that doesn't explain it, you may just remain confused, scared, and helpless; or maybe just a troll under a bridge, as someone suggested.  Are you?

Hey.  Well yea im in mex right now.  I know i could order it from amazon mexico directly... its just that it would cost a hundred dollars or so more as oppose to buying it on amazon mexico importacion... where its basically the same monitor but shipped from the US.  So that to me is a big price difference.   People here mentioned how they would buy it from where its cheaper... and thats a big price difference for me... which is why i ask this question.  If this was like 50 dollar price difference, i just get it off amazon mexico directly.  But its around hundred dollar difference so thats why i ask this.  

Well the thing is if the monitor i want to buy where if i added it to my amazon us cart and then changed the address from US to mex... then it shows it would ship it and the cost... then I figure... it would be fine to order it from amazon mexico importacion then since that would mean for sure the item would ship as others here mention they ordered many electronics from amazon us or mexico imported from the US.  Its just the fact that this exact monitor i want to buy... it doesn't seem to ship from amazon US when i change the address to Mex... makes me wonder if ordering it from Amazon mexico importacion would have the same issue... does that make sense?  Like the tablet someone posted... i see it would work from amazon US as it woudl ship it.   But most importantly, why would it seem like the one i want on amazon mexico importacion seem it would ship?

Yea i wanted to buy it locally as i have previously bought electronics and items from amazon mexico directly without an issue.  The thing is it cost about a hundred dollars more than if i order it amazon mexico importacion.  Im not sure about you guys, but a hundred dollar price difference is quite a bit.  Do most of you not really care and overpay that much for it?  I have always overpaid for a ton of things so im trying to not do that anymore.  

• Confused 1