Chapala.com Webboard

Bicycle From Mazatlan To Guatemala, Is It Safe?

AngusMactavish

46 minutes ago, addtocart said:

Hmmmm.  I recall a motorcyclist doing the same thing until he was found dead.

Yeah, nothing anecdotal about that.  That was Harry Devert, killed outside of Zihuatanejo because some gangster thought he was DEA.  2014.

And then there were these guys:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/cyclists-in-chiapas-were-murdered-prosecutor/

This guy is living on borrowed time IMO.

• Thanks 2

the pole and german who were killed near Ocosingo in Chiapas did not live to tell us how safe it wa... 

I think it is a question of luck... if you do not encounter anny one who want what you have, it i safe so in time of COVID when there is no money and you travel through areas where people have barely what they need to eat, good luck to you on the lonely roads.. Until recently the border to Guatemala was cloed anyway o they may end up in CHiapa for ever...

By the way if you ee where they were killed  it is not so isolated, there was a house in construction not far and they were about to arrive in Ocosingo.. I broke down in that area and had to spend the night with people  in that area.. and people there are very poor.. They aked for 200 pesos to stay in their house and that was better that staying on the ide of the road but I could not help hoping that it was ok...

On these roads it is just a question of good luck or bad luck depending on the people you meet,,, Good luck to them,

One cyclist got his head and foot chopped off and the other one who was several km behind got shot when he got to the same area..that was a couple of years ago. One was going from San Cristobal to Campeche and the other one had biked from the States and was on his way to Tierra de Fuego..  Both strong guys and seasoned bikers. Never caught the guys..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In many places there are no shoulders on the highways for bikes to use.

I met a couple of guys biking down the west coast of Mexico.  They asked if they could camp in our yard. They were terrifed on some of the highways. They would jump off their bikes and ditch down the slope. 

I wonder if you would be more ikely to be robbed as you cannot move fast enoguh to escape a vehicle.