Chapala.com Webboard

Where do I sign up for Seguro Popular?

jojana

I went to Chapala today to sign up again for Seguro Popular in Chapala but the woman at the front desk told me it was finished. I know its under a new name but the woman at the front desk just kept telling me its finished and wouldn't tell me another location except to go to GDL. Does anyone know where to sign up for it?

It's called INSABI and it should be the same place.  Found this on a FB page for Chapala - "The new program requires no pre-registration, you will just go to your nearest former Seguro Popular building with your CURP". Clinic is on Flavio Romero de Velazco 408B in Chapala and is open until 3 p.m

2 hours ago, WideSky said:

It's called INSABI and it should be the same place.  Found this on a FB page for Chapala - "The new program requires no pre-registration, you will just go to your nearest former Seguro Popular building with your CURP". Clinic is on Flavio Romero de Velazco 408B in Chapala and is open until 3 p.m

Went there today and although I couldn't remember the new name. I did mention that its under a new name and I was still sent away. Just wanting to know if anyone knows of another location in the lake Chapala area. 

Yes there are locations in San Antonio, and Ajijic.   The INSABI system will want you to go to the clinic for where you live.  If you need medical service all you do is enter with a copy of your CURP and they will ask for your address.

As posted earlier there is no signup. INSABI service is available to anyone who does not have other government heath insurance. 

INSABI is designed for people who do not have the ability to buy heath coverage. 

7 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Yes there are locations in San Antonio, and Ajijic.   The INSABI system will want you to go to the clinic for where you live.  If you need medical service all you do is enter with a copy of your CURP and they will ask for your address.

As posted earlier there is no signup. INSABI service is available to anyone who does not have other government heath insurance. 

INSABI is designed for people who do not have the ability to buy heath coverage. 

Do you have an address for the one in SAT?

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

I would think that is a large majority of the general public, including foreigners right now. Prices of medical equipment are skyrocketing. An appliance for hip replacement now costs over 70,000 pesos. Equipment only. I was recently quoted $10,000 US per year by a broker who was touted as having the lowest cost, but reliable, private health insurance plan.

Don't despair though. The INSABI hospitals are generally quite competent, especially in the Jalisco area. Then there are the public general hospitals which are very affordable, then charity private hospitals run by nun nurses, then the Military hospital, and Navy hospital - same thing.

There is no way to manipulate the prices of imported medical equipment other than encouraging production in Mexico. Then there is lots of room for improvement, which will take place slowly but surely.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jojana said:

Went there today and although I couldn't remember the new name. I did mention that its under a new name and I was still sent away. Just wanting to know if anyone knows of another location in the lake Chapala area. 

I suggest you DO remember the new name and see what happens.   That said, if you were in need of help and arrived with personal I.D. and CURP number they should be able to help you.  And understand,  for some procedures and/or meds you will be required to pay at least part.

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

I would think that is a large majority of the general public, including foreigners right now. Prices of medical equipment are skyrocketing. An appliance for hip replacement now costs over 70,000 pesos. Equipment only. I was recently quoted $10,000 US per year by a broker who was touted as having the lowest cost, but reliable, private health insurance plan.

Don't despair though. The INSABI hospitals are generally quite competent, especially in the Jalisco area. Then there are the public general hospitals which are very affordable, then charity private hospitals run by nun nurses, then the Military hospital, and Navy hospital - same thing.

There is no way to manipulate the prices of imported medical equipment other than encouraging production in Mexico. Then there is lots of room for improvement, which will take place slowly but surely.

I paid $13,700 for my IMSS. Certainly affordable for foreigners.

The majority of working Mexicans have IMSS coverage for medical & retirement. Federal employees have ISSSTE coverage.  

31 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

I paid $13,700 for my IMSS. Certainly affordable for foreigners.

The majority of working Mexicans have IMSS coverage for medical & retirement. Federal employees have ISSSTE coverage.  

Sadly I think both systems are Broke and their value is worth about as much as the paper they are written on. I just came back from a 6pm appointment at the Chapala IMSS clinic and Doctor #1 was a no show and no idea when she will return. Question; so why does the central reservation deck keep making appointments??? That clinic is a pathic example of how the IMSS is portrayed to work,and its disgusting's dirty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, many people have complained about the IMSS clinic in Chapala. Our Mexican driver says you wait for hours, then they send you out the door with some paracetamol (tylenol).

Try the newly refurbished IMSS hospital in Tjamulco de Zunigas for a contrast. As per Mostlylost who is a key member of this forum and he always (correctly) remarks from a point of view from actually living in the middle of this.

Like everywhere in the world, you have to learn how the system works. The ropes and pullies. Which hospitals and doctors to go to for their strengths, and which ones to avoid.

Dammit, for me I think I am heading to hospital for another 7 to 14 days intravenous drip.

Will keep you posted, but no picts!

• Like 1