Chapala.com Webboard

Satellite Internet Service Anyone Can Install

26 minutes ago, cedros said:

expensive

Its expensive because of the dish.  Notice no LNB sticking out of the dish.  I imagine it is a Phase array dish or something very high tech. It also has motors to move the dish. Now 100 bucks a month and 500 for the dish sounds expensive but remember the guy was using a cell phone modem before so you want to talk about slow and expensive cell phones modems are.

3 minutes ago, lcscats said:

OK now before you all get excited some research is needed.  I don't know but I doubt if the satellite will reach Mexico.  

At this moment no. The object is to serve those without any. Here there will be many, like digital nomads that want to live in the country or remote beach. I hated satellite service due to the latency but these low level satellites have solved that delay problem. What I see as incredible is the dishes self alignment capability.

Unlike satellite tv which has only a couple of satellites.   the Starlink system will eventually have thousands of satellites. As they gear up they will add more and more areas of coverage. The satellites will each serve a limited area

What remains to be seen is if individual governments will require Starlink to be licensed to offer service in their country. 

• AngusMactavish changed the title to Satellite Internet Service Anyone Can Install
12 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Unlike satellite tv which has only a couple of satellites.   the Starlink system will eventually have thousands of satellites. As they gear up they will add more and more areas of coverage. The satellites will each serve a limited area

What remains to be seen is if individual governments will require Starlink to be licensed to offer service in their country. 

I see Canada just authorized service

Starlink currently has about 775 satellites in Low Earth Orbit.... shooting for thousands. I didn't/don't think they were in Beta yet but did see that that was a test in N. Idaho... probably what the guy in the video was a part of.  Maybe February for the beta in N. US, S. Canada. 

Lots of hurdles yet.... but Musk seems to be adept to high hurdles. Batteries and EVs are kid's play to him seemingly.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, gringohombre said:

I don't get it...Just checked my ILox speed, 96 down, 25 up for about US$35 a month!!! Why pay US$500 for installation and US$100 a month? I know that the availability of ILox is somewhat limited at this time, but understand that Telmex is also upgrading in a lot of areas.  

You don't get it because its not the same thing.  This product is for people who have no wired services available.  People on remote ranches and such or people who travel.  The dish for 500 bucks is an amazing cost for the tech.  These things were incredibly expensive  a few years ago. The older sat internet solutions were extremely slow and had bad latency.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Tingting said:

And now I feel like an even older technodino!

While most of the technical jargon is beyond me (too lazy to stay current), I think we're about to see some amazing upgrades to what's currently available. My wish list is simple: streaming tv without buffering.

I have ILOX and I use Lakeside TV which offers clear choice as one of the  options.  It does not buffer.  WIFI, Global and other streaming services all buffered for me.  Negative is Clear Choice does not have much sports or HBO and such.   Google Lakeside TV for more info.  Kodi and IPTV always buffered for me also.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, RickS said:

Starlink currently has about 775 satellites in Low Earth Orbit.... shooting for thousands. I didn't/don't think they were in Beta yet but did see that that was a test in N. Idaho... probably what the guy in the video was a part of.  Maybe February for the beta in N. US, S. Canada. 

Lots of hurdles yet.... but Musk seems to be adept to high hurdles. Batteries and EVs are kid's play to him seemingly.

I must be one of the "kids" just qualifying for Medicare today! I'm fascinated by the technology. Just signed up on Starlink.com website to get Beta information if they ever come to MX. Maybe the price will come down from the video, none was listed? I plugged in Chapala and Chapala-Guadalajara, Jal came up. I'll post any updates.

Musk has an advantage that he can deliver the birds with his Space X rocket. It is going to get crowded out there, but apparently there is builtin avoidance control which does not effect the transmission. There are no rents to pay in space,but there should be some sort of corporate taxation which benefits the whole planet. These companies and countries should also pay the price of cleaning up all the obsolete junk up there.

Maybe I willr start an outerspace repo service. Wasn't that " Repoman" movie with Emelio Estevez one of the greatest ever? I stiill want that Falcon, sorry, Chevy Malibu.

Lookup Dish network USA. They have had an internet satellite, video streaming service for many years, with millions of subscribers. Carlos Slim is majority owner of Dish Mexico, but doesn't seem to do anything with it. Unusual. Maybe, as an urban traveller, he has seen the lower quality apartment buildings with a ratsnest of cable connections. Want cable or internet, see Jose in suite 445. He gets the highest speed possible, then sells lower speeds at a different INS.

26 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Lookup Dish network USA. They have had an internet satellite, video streaming service for many years, with millions of subscribers. Carlos Slim is majority owner of Dish Mexico, but doesn't seem to do anything with it. Unusual. Maybe, as an urban traveller, he has seen the lower quality apartment buildings with a ratsnest of cable connections. Want cable or internet, see Jose in suite 445. He gets the highest speed possible, then sells lower speeds at a different INS.

Well, for starters, do a favorite search engine and lookup "satellite latency", here's one:

That is one of the issues that affect satellite internet, have a look at some youtube videos about starlink, here's one to get you started: