Chapala.com Webboard

Holiday tomorrow

cedros

1 hour ago, tomwins said:

You continue to argue that Walmart Mexico is not Walmart US but many of us don't shop at Walmart Mexico because it is a chain that displaces smaller stores that keep the profit in the community rather than sent it to Mexico City or Guadalajara. This is the real harm that Walmart does. I don't care who owns it as long as they keep putting a strain or putting out of business the locally owned stores. Shopping at these locally owned stores who are more responsive to the needs and requests of the local community is CRITICAL right now.

Please don't ignor the harm Walmart Mexico does to other stores in the community on top of the coronavirus precautions.

Shop local merchants and keep them alive. Walmart has plenty of resources from the stores they've already killed off. Everyone who cares about local economies should do all they can to support locally owned stores right now.

I have not seen any little guy store closures around here. Conversely many new little guys opening all over the place. And another thing,Soriana became more consumer oriented because of the competition from Walmart.  All this nattering from SJW's about various big guys is a real hoot.

WalMart started in 1962. That's almost 60 years they've been "ruining" local businesses. Someone once posted here they felt sorry for the blacksmith business after Henry Ford arrived on the scene: no one needs horseshoes anymore.

Which makes me think of how sorry I should feel for the smithies who used to make swords for the wars. I should throw in the street lamp-oil and candle companies after that SOB Thomas Edison screwed up their living by inventing light bulbs.

Time and progress. The good or the bad depends on perspective.

• Haha 2

Walmart Mexico opened in Mexicali in 1993 and the locals claimed it was their first supercenter and 50 percent owned by the Mexican owned group who owned VIPS, Superama, Suburbia and other intetests and the other 50 percent owned by Walmart USA. It brought the Mexican supermarket chains up to better condition fast as the other poster pointed out. 

Previously these stores, to name the ones I remember being in frequently back then and since 1980 were Commercial Mexicana, Gigantic, Calimax which was in Baja etc. were gouging customers and had stores in despicable condition with, for example, horrible produce rotting and flies hovering around, not all of it of course, frozen meat in freezers with frost and stuck together and months old, again some refrigerated meat was fresh, tile floors broken and missing tiles and very few shopping carts that were easy to push, the rest completely screwed up and needed to be replaced and basically everywhere it was filthy. People with the means shopped in the USA often. Chicken everywhere back then in Mexico gave you the runs.

About 20, I forgot when actually, years ago Walmart USA bought another 15 or 20 percent interest of Walmart and Sam's club and 60 percent interest in VIPS, Suburbia, and Superama in Mexico and Central America where the VIPS group also operated. Then not that many years later Walmart USA bought about 20 percent more, now all together 80 percent of all these commercial stores including VIPS which, as far as I know, is the current situation. Don't quote me on any of the financial facts because this is all from memory ( I would not like to do any Google search, not in the mood ) and is obviously not accurate but is simply a story I felt like telling today. LOL 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yes Soriana really improved after Walmart opened and so did the little stores.. I too remember the sorry state of many grocery stores, butchers and fishmarket before they came.When I came I was appalled to see rotting produce on te shelves of many stores and  also I remember the fish market at Soriana stinkinng to the point I would not go near it. Yes there has been a lot of progress in the last 20 years..

• Like 5

Certainly different corporate practises all over the world. What I thought was a hoot was the local bloke who wrote to the President of McDonalds in the U.S.A., that the Big Mac he was served in Guadalajara was not up to his standards, or what he was used to being served in Canada. Apparently, they did not reply.

• Confused 1

41 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

Certainly different corporate practises all over the world. What I thought was a hoot was a local man who wrote to the President of McDonalds in the U.S.A., that the Big Mac he was served in Guadalajara was not up to his standards, or what he was used to being served in Canada. Apparently, they did not reply.

You usually mention me directly which for some reason you haven't done this time so I will say it was I that wrote to CUSTOMER SERVICE not the PRESIDENT. McD alleges their standards are the same worldwide and the thing I was served in Guadalajara at 2 separate stores where not the same quality as those I've had in the US and Canada even in the backwaters of Montana.They didn't even come close to matching the foto on the wall.  I think your latest poorly vailed personal attack is a HOOT and a HALF.

pedro kertesz

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, tomwins said:

You continue to argue that Walmart Mexico is not Walmart US but many of us don't shop at Walmart Mexico because it is a chain that displaces smaller stores that keep the profit in the community rather than sent it to Mexico City or Guadalajara. This is the real harm that Walmart does. I don't care who owns it as long as they keep putting a strain or putting out of business the locally owned stores. Shopping at these locally owned stores who are more responsive to the needs and requests of the local community is CRITICAL right now.

Please don't ignor the harm Walmart Mexico does to other stores in the community on top of the coronavirus precautions.

Shop local merchants and keep them alive. Walmart has plenty of resources from the stores they've already killed off. Everyone who cares about local economies should do all they can to support locally owned stores right now.

If you lived here 30/40 years ago, long before Walmart, you would WANT Walmart to put them out of business. Why do you keep excusing the bad marketing that was done here before Walmart and other big box stores arrived

Mexicans don´t patronize the big stores because they hate local ownership and want to put them out of business.  Wake up!!!  Do you remember when you couldn´t even buy fresh, pasteurized milk that wasn´t already soured.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, slainte39 said:

If you lived here 30/40 years ago, long before Walmart, you would WANT Walmart to put them out of business. Why do you keep excusing the bad marketing that was done here before Walmart and other big box stores arrived

Mexicans don´t patronize the big stores because they hate local ownership and want to put them out of business.  Wake up!!!  Do you remember when you couldn´t even buy fresh, pasteurized milk that wasn´t already soured.

I don't know any business that functions as it did 30 or 40 years ago. So your comment makes no sense. Businesses that didn't change are no longer with us.

I have found value in smaller stores who respond to the more specific needs of their customers. So there is value in them. We should make sure they survive.

I am not anti-big box. You are arguing things I don't propose. I'll go to your first point that competition has made things better. Walmart would love to remove ALL competition.

If you want to shop at Walmart that is your choice. I have closes friends who know my feelings and tell me when they go there. My mother has me take her to Walmart (in the US) when I visit her and I do that.

I don't know why you feel the need to defend Walmart. They have plenty of revenue and resources to survive a downturn that last more than a year. Most of the local privately owned shops do not have that. This is why I am making my point. We need to help locally owned and operated businesses survive. We will all benefit from them.

I will disclose that I own index stock that has Walmart US and other MX investments that has Walmart Mexico. So I benefit from them being successful. I don't want them to fail but I want them to have strong, vibrant competition.

Finally, a Mexican friend who heard I went to a Walmart owned store in Joco told me how terrible they are in the treatment of their employees. So your statement about how Mexicans "hate" Walmart fails. You may know 3 and I know 2. Don't generalize an entire people. We are all people who make decisions based on our experience, our wants, and what is available to us. So saying that Mexicans want local owners out of business is insulting to everyone. I hope we all at some level want the best world we can have. I regret that social media, including this chat room, is making that harder to achieve. Zuckerberg is laughing all the way to the bank at the people who have helped him become a zillionaire by allowing him to sell profiles on what motivates them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tomwins said:

I don't know any business that functions as it did 30 or 40 years ago. So your comment makes no sense. Businesses that didn't change are no longer with us.

I have found value in smaller stores who respond to the more specific needs of their customers. So there is value in them. We should make sure they survive.

I am not anti-big box. You are arguing things I don't propose. I'll go to your first point that competition has made things better. Walmart would love to remove ALL competition.

If you want to shop at Walmart that is your choice. I have closes friends who know my feelings and tell me when they go there. My mother has me take her to Walmart (in the US) when I visit her and I do that.

I don't know why you feel the need to defend Walmart. They have plenty of revenue and resources to survive a downturn that last more than a year. Most of the local privately owned shops do not have that. This is why I am making my point. We need to help locally owned and operated businesses survive. We will all benefit from them.

I will disclose that I own index stock that has Walmart US and other MX investments that has Walmart Mexico. So I benefit from them being successful. I don't want them to fail but I want them to have strong, vibrant competition.

Finally, a Mexican friend who heard I went to a Walmart owned store in Joco told me how terrible they are in the treatment of their employees. So your statement about how Mexicans "hate" Walmart fails. You may know 3 and I know 2. Don't generalize an entire people. We are all people who make decisions based on our experience, our wants, and what is available to us. So saying that Mexicans want local owners out of business is insulting to everyone. I hope we all at some level want the best world we can have. I regret that social media, including this chat room, is making that harder to achieve. Zuckerberg is laughing all the way to the bank at the people who have helped him become a zillionaire by allowing him to sell profiles on what motivates them.

You certainly managed to convolute my post.  The arrival of Walmart and other big stores forced the local abarrotes to change.

How much of Walmart´s revenue in Mexico is generated by Mexican clientele and how much by foreigners?  I rest my case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1