Chapala.com Webboard

Holiday tomorrow

cedros

7 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

It's what we call a bank holiday back home, which means gov't offices and banks and anyone else who needs a break and isn't too worried about losing income, or has employees who expect the time off. So there are no fast rules. But you can bet Soriana and WalMart here will be open.

On official federal holidays here in Mexico employers either give their employees the day off with pay or if they work have to pay them 3X their pay so that motivates businesses to close those days.

2 hours ago, AndyPanda said:

I don't about the employment laws, but I seriously doubt WalMart ever pays anybody 3 times their pay.

I know one of the carniceros at Walmart and he will get triple pay and can´t wait to go to work......lol

Yeah, they will pay it and enough employees know the law that could cost Walmart far more than the holiday pay.

13 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

I'm surprised at your vitriol. This is not a prejudice. This is a store that doesn't even pay their baggers. And therefore doesn't have to pay IMSS, vacation, etc.

The stores here such as Walmart and Soriana never pay the baggers, they exist on tips only. I don't know if it is culture or tradition or what but that is the way it is in this country. 

• Thanks 1

Do a search.  I typed in "grocery store baggers not paid Mexico" and found many articles.  I think this is the most concise.  I found information regarding the young ones that bag groceries but did not copy it for this post.

Published on Tuesday, November 12, 2019  Mexico Daily

Grocery baggers are not Walmart employees, company says

It has an agreement with a government agency, which recruits seniors for a volunteer program

Walmart Mexico has clarified that senior citizens who bag groceries are not company employees.

The statement came in response to President López Obrador’s call last week for an investigation into what the grocery baggers are paid.

The retired senior citizens are engaged through an agreement with the National Institute for the Elderly (Inapam) which states that they are volunteers.

“The elderly citizens who work in our stores are part of a program of senior citizen volunteers. We signed an agreement with Inapam, which is in charge,” said company spokeswoman Gabriela Buenrostro.

At a press conference for Walmart’s “Irresistible Weekend” campaign, the store’s own version of the national shopping event called “Buen Fin” (Good Weekend), she said the workers receive government pensions.

“They are not Walmart employees. They are part of an Inapam program . . . retired people between the ages of 60 and 65 can have additional remuneration [through tips] in our stores and elsewhere in the industry.”

Seemingly unaware of the program, the president said the Labor Secretariat would intervene, calling it “a great injustice against the elderly on the part of Walmart.”

“The Labor Secretariat must intervene, it will intervene because all human beings have the right to a fair salary, it’s an enshrined right in the constitution,” he added.

The president said he had faith that Walmart executives would decide to pay the baggers now that the issue was being discussed in the media.

Most big-box grocery stores participate in the program.

• Like 2

Walmart Mexico (one of the largest employers in Mexico) which owns Superama, Bodega Aurrera, Sams Club, and Walmart pays IMSS, vacation, and Christmas bonus. It also offers university students a program to join the executive training  in their last year of university with limited work hours.

https://www.walmartmexico.com/unete-al-equipo

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

The stores here such as Walmart and Soriana never pay the baggers, they exist on tips only. I don't know if it is culture or tradition or what but that is the way it is in this country. 

Same as the guys who help park cars and do car washes at Walmart, SuperLake, and many other locations on private commercial property.

Andy Panda the vitriol comes  from people who are attacking Walmart for ever without having any clue that Mexico is not the US. I do not believe Walmart here is very dfferent from any other chain store.

The bashing of Walmart gets pretty tiring, if you do not like them do not go there., It is pretty simple

.Baggers are not paid anywhere.I knew kids who were baggers at farmacia Guadaljara and made nice money with the tips. It was a  program to help them make extra money and they worked as a team during the shift. They were awarded the jobs because they had good grades. They were happy for the oportunity to work there.

• Like 3

Oh yes, Walmart. They wanted to run the "company store" with their own money, aka script, like they did in the cotton mill towns of the US, but thankfully failed.

"In 2008, a Mexican court ruled that Walmart de México could not pay its employees in vouchers redeemable only at the store, as it violated an article of the country's Constitution."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walmart_de_México_y_Centroamérica

42 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Oh yes, Walmart. They wanted to run the "company store" with their own money, aka script, like they did in the cotton mill towns of the US, but thankfully failed.

"In 2008, a Mexican court ruled that Walmart de México could not pay its employees in vouchers redeemable only at the store, as it violated an article of the country's Constitution."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walmart_de_México_y_Centroamérica

Was that implementation tried by the Mexican majority ownership and management here, or dictated from the US corporate home office in Arkansas?

Most of these US corporations and franchisers that get a Mexican presence, usually wind up doing it differently  than they do in the US....Mexican culture and tastes. The new Arby´s in GDL in somewhat different than the US.  They get some leeway from the norms in other countries.

1 hour ago, bmh said:

Andy Panda the vitriol comes  from people who are attacking Walmart for ever without having any clue that Mexico is not the US. I do not believe Walmart here is very dfferent from any other chain store.

The bashing of Walmart gets pretty tiring, if you do not like them do not go there., It is pretty simple

.Baggers are not paid anywhere.I knew kids who were baggers at farmacia Guadaljara and made nice money with the tips. It was a  program to help them make extra money and they worked as a team during the shift. They were awarded the jobs because they had good grades. They were happy for the oportunity to work there.

This topic has wandered off into never-never land. Bashing? All I said was that I doubt WalMart pays anybody triple. Mexican Walmart. If they pay some employees because they are forced to by law, you know that they are also doing everything in their power both legally and otherwise to circumvent every obligation they have ever had or will ever had. That is the Walmart corporate philosophy and it does not differ from country to country.

If you really want to get into it, Mexico is one of the worst. How about that warehouse they built on revered land by the pyramids? https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/business/walmart-bribes-teotihuacan.html quote: "The Times’s examination reveals that Wal-Mart de Mexico was not the reluctant victim of a corrupt culture that insisted on bribes as the cost of doing business. Nor did it pay bribes merely to speed up routine approvals. Rather, Wal-Mart de Mexico was an aggressive and creative corrupter, offering large payoffs to get what the law otherwise prohibited. It used bribes to subvert democratic governance — public votes, open debates, transparent procedures. It used bribes to circumvent regulatory safeguards that protect Mexican citizens from unsafe construction. It used bribes to outflank rivals. The Times identified 19 store sites across Mexico that were the target of Wal-Mart de Mexico’s bribes." How quickly people forget.

How  about the 1,000 trees they were supposed to plant right here to recompense the community for mowing down a lovely avocado forest, along with proper highway renovations, and access and safety features for roadwork that they simply ignored?

You can like or dislike WalMart all you want. But I don't need you presuming to tell me what I know or don't know about Mexican Walmart.

• Thanks 1

Of course Walmart only does what they do because of the law, you will not get arguments from me on this and this is true for a whole lot of busineess this is why there are laws and unions.. In my previous life whe I got to the US and was forced to take a job at minimum wage in a large retail outlet , I found out all about the goodness of large retailers for their employees but I was happy to earn some money there for a year. and then I went on to better things. I learned a lot and ised that later...that is life.

On 11/16/2020 at 11:04 PM, slainte39 said:

Was that implementation tried by the Mexican majority ownership and management here, or dictated from the US corporate home office in Arkansas?

Most of these US corporations and franchisers that get a Mexican presence, usually wind up doing it differently  than they do in the US....Mexican culture and tastes. The new Arby´s in GDL in somewhat different than the US.  They get some leeway from the norms in other countries.

You continue to argue that Walmart Mexico is not Walmart US but many of us don't shop at Walmart Mexico because it is a chain that displaces smaller stores that keep the profit in the community rather than sent it to Mexico City or Guadalajara. This is the real harm that Walmart does. I don't care who owns it as long as they keep putting a strain or putting out of business the locally owned stores. Shopping at these locally owned stores who are more responsive to the needs and requests of the local community is CRITICAL right now.

Please don't ignor the harm Walmart Mexico does to other stores in the community on top of the coronavirus precautions.

Shop local merchants and keep them alive. Walmart has plenty of resources from the stores they've already killed off. Everyone who cares about local economies should do all they can to support locally owned stores right now.

• Haha 1

Small stores simply don't offer the variety and one stop shopping of places like WalMart and Soriana.  That is why you see them largely populated with Mexican shoppers pretty much anytime you go.  Same with Costco.  On weekends you see buses bringing in Mexican shoppers from outlying areas to these stores.

To single out WalMart as some sort of evil for offering what consumers clearly want is more about ideology and elitism than reality.  You see many of the same big box stores going like gang busters in places like Oaxaca where there are just a handful of expats.  Mexican consumers have made it quite clear what they prefer.  

Interestingly, when it comes to paint and hardware and building materials the big boxes like Home Depot don't seem to have much impact.  I do most of our own maintenance of that type and find our local suppliers, once you figure out who has what, as quite superior to Home Depot in both price and variety.  

• Like 3