Chapala.com Webboard

citrus tree doctor

chartiec

You can try calling Sergio Davalos 33-1411-0966 and get an opinion from him. He has been treating my yard for quite a while for a variety of issues with citrus trees, grass and other plants like hibiscus. Powdery mildew, different types of fungus and lots of bugs. He's not an exterminator, but treats plants in distress.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

There is a serious citrus disease here that affects many types of citrus especially mandarin.

We cut all our branches back to the big parts and the new growth is doing very well. There was all kinds of nasties attacking it,is why we did that. Expecting the first crop next Nov.-Dec.

A hard pruning will not be enough. You have to use an

arsenal of powders, hopefully as organic as possible. A popular pest is whitefly, which isn't a fly at all, but a beetle which feeds off aphids and scale usually brought by ants, even those tiny ones. The leaves have to be sprayed with a phosphate soap mixture and then a Neem oil repellent. If you used any livestock based compost, you will also have to treat the soil for fungus gnats. The gnats are not the problem, they plant their eggs beside the plants, and the larvae grow into large, white worms, which eat into the roots and fresh stalks. I use mosquito bits, which inoculate the soil with BTH. The only way to grow citrus here is to start with fresh, unused soil, and then build its backbone with organic soil enhancers and red earth worms and/or their castings. With no freezing or dormancy, it is just too hard to isolate the plants.

John, the former President of the Organic Vegetables Gardening club will return to Lakeside soon. He is a kindly, and super knowledgble soul who might be willing to visit your orchard.

I sprayed my citrus trees with water with some dish detergent and Neem oil in it and then cleaned each leaf by hand. It helped but....... 

I still needed to prune the worst branches off. 

23 hours ago, happyjillin said:

We cut all our branches back to the big parts and the new growth is doing very well. There was all kinds of nasties attacking it,is why we did that. Expecting the first crop next Nov.-Dec.

We have done major trimming on our lime tree from time to time and this method has been successful enough that we can give away a lot of the fruit.