Chapala.com Webboard

This Beach is Your Beach, this Beach is My Beach.....

RickS

25 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Isn't it true that laws have always existed to allow public access to beaches Mexico? That all shoreline belongs to the people of Mexico. The difficulty has been enforcing those laws. It is in the Mexican Constituion.

Who the hell follows the law in Mexico. The more laws you have the more opportuinies for petty burocrates to supplement their incomce with mordia. The golden rule here is do it and asked for forgiveness latter

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

On 10/31/2020 at 12:21 PM, AndyPanda said:

Isn't it true that laws have always existed to allow public access to beaches Mexico? That all shoreline belongs to the people of Mexico. The difficulty has been enforcing those laws. It is in the Mexican Constituion.

Yes, I have seen the curent law of public access broken in so many places over the years

I thought that when I first came to the Lakeside in 1997 that the owner of the land next to the shore also had control of who could come and party on the ocean but not along along the lake shore.

All I know is that in the past teenagers from all over, including Guadalajara had free access to the beaches on Lake Chapala, but I thought not on the Pacific Ocean.  

No, I am not an expert on the subject, it is just what I had heard.

34 minutes ago, johanson said:

I thought that when I first came to the Lakeside in 1997 that the owner of the land next to the shore also had control of who could come and party on the ocean but not along along the lake shore.

All I know is that in the past teenagers from all over, including Guadalajara had free access to the beaches on Lake Chapala, but I thought not on the Pacific Ocean.  

Pete I think if you own lake frontage you are given first option of "leasing" that piece that conects to your property...otherwise other parties can assmue its "lease"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johanson said:

Its private land, then Federal Zone with no permanent structures, but can be "leased" from the CNA,  and finally beach area, which everyone has access rights to, for normal beach activities. Can´t remember the exact dimensions but think it is 30 meters for beach from high tide and 50 meters for Federal Zone.

• Like 2

Guy up the road from me, whose property also borders on the arroyo, as mine does, tried to pull that private property nonsense one day. My friend and I were taking a walk with our dogs up the arroyo and he had barbed wire fences across the arroyo. Lots of the guys around here do- it's illegal, but I get it, they're trying to keep their horses and cows contained. My friend and I just lift the fences, which are barbed wire attached to small posts, secured on both arroyo banks to trees and go underneath.

This guy is out there one day when we're walking and asks what we're doing. Kinda dumb question, a couple of old ladies out for a walk with the dogs, we're obviously not thieves. We say as much, just out for a walk and he says "Well, this is private property, you know." We said "No it's not, it's federal zone- you don't own the arroyo and your fences across it are illegal, by the way." He just turned around and walked off.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting how the big hotels try to prevent pubic access to the beaches.  This is the case in Ixtapa near Zihuatanejo.  Along the entire strip of hotels, there is no way to access the beach in the areas between hotels.  All blocked by walls.  Only access is to enter the hotels to walk through their reception area and out to the beach.  Of course this access is only reserved for the guest of the hotels.  We have to drive all the way to the last hotel on the strip to get around it and onto the beach.  Though once on the beach, no one has ever tried to run us off.  They just make it as inconvenient as possible requiring a lot of walking as well.

This is not the case in Zihuatanejo though.  The small, privately owned hotels along the beaches all have pathways  between each property where the public can access the beach.  Seems to be the habit of the mega corporation chain hotels only (greedy, selfish bastards).

• 3 weeks later...

...recent amendments to the law have stated that if a hotel or resort cuts public access to a beach they have to either provide some sort of easement or allow the public to pass through the property itself and onto the beach.. at least this apples to oceanside properties. The stated penalties for non compliance are severe with huge fines and even the loss of ownership of the resort of hotel complex.  This all started in Cancun when a security guard told some beachgoers that they had to leave if they didn't buy 'refreshments' from the fronting property. The local cops (they always do) assisted in an arrest for non-compliance of the demand and the whole thing blew up when it hit the media, going all the way to the top. Hotels and resort complexes fronting beach property restrict public access to the beach at great risk to themselves... 

1 hour ago, RichardF said:

The stated penalties for non compliance are severe with huge fines and even the loss of ownership of the resort of hotel complex.  

That'll have them shaking in their boots. For sure...lol