Chapala.com Webboard

Hoja Santa

AngusMactavish

When I lived on the other coast, my Jarocha would often use the leaves of the the plant in green mole, tamales, and quesadillas. It has a licorice type flavor. Walking on Niños Heroes, Chapala Centro I saw the vines growing onto the sidewalk. I have no idea if the leaves are sold here as I never knew they could or if many use them. My cleaning lady said she never heard of it. I will share the location with anyone that wants it.

1024px-Starr_021122-0002_Piper_auritum.j

Piper auritum, also known as hoja santa (Spanish for "sacred leaf"), yerba santa, hierba santa,  Mexican pepperleaf, acuyo, tlanepa, anisillo, root beer plant, Vera Cruz pepper and sacred pepper, is an aromatic herb with a heart-shaped, velvety leaf which grows in tropic Mesoamerica.

I thought it was a tree leaf because it iscalledMumuin CHiapas but maybe the tree is called that becauseof the herb.. Don t know..It says it grows  up to Oregon so it should grow here. My neighbor makes delicious tamales with black beans wrapped in mumu leaf inside.. it isjust delicious. I also had fish in Xalapa wrapped in hoja santa  and that was delicious. 

I have never seen it for sale but it grows here.. 

On 10/15/2020 at 3:11 PM, AngusMactavish said:

When I lived on the other coast, my Jarocha would often use the leaves of the the plant in green mole, tamales, and quesadillas. It has a licorice type flavor. Walking on Niños Heroes, Chapala Centro I saw the vines growing onto the sidewalk. I have no idea if the leaves are sold here as I never knew they could or if many use them. My cleaning lady said she never heard of it. I will share the location with anyone that wants it.

1024px-Starr_021122-0002_Piper_auritum.j

Piper auritum, also known as hoja santa (Spanish for "sacred leaf"), yerba santa, hierba santa,  Mexican pepperleaf, acuyo, tlanepa, anisillo, root beer plant, Vera Cruz pepper and sacred pepper, is an aromatic herb with a heart-shaped, velvety leaf which grows in tropic Mesoamerica.

Please share your source with me when you find it. I thought I saw a huge vine of it poking over the back wall of the shop now called Bohemis at the corner of Madero (Colon) and Independencia in Ajijic . I also found some wild last year near the Wilkes Center.  The leaves are spectacular when used to wrap fish or chicken and grill or pan fry....has a light anise flavor and pleasant tecture I believe it also has medicinal uses.

I have it growing in my yard in Riberas. I have used it to wrap fish and it is a good tea for colds and respiratory health. The plant itself is very invasive as it grows on a rhizome that spreads like crazy. I have removed alot of it and it comes back, so I'm never worried about being without it. I have frozen the fresh leaves, and they stay for quite awhile in the freezer, and I have also put the leaves in a dehydrator for tea, but might be better to dry naturally as I think maybe the dehydrator diminishes some of the anise aromatic quality.