Chapala.com Webboard

Any idea what is going on in Riberas?

MtnMama

The Catholic Church at San Lucas and Hidalgo has been having evening services (bells announcing) every evening at 6 PM for over a week. Unfortunately the services are accompanied by very loud cahotes lasting from about 5:30 to 7 PM. My dogs are nearly hysterical.

I don't remember this happening before. I was hoping it was an anniversary of some sort and would only last a week. If it is for that chapel's particular saint, any idea how long it will last?

It is all for the Virgin del Pilar, according to the guy shooting off the cohetes.  This is her day so should end soon...hoping so anyway.  They have not done it before and I think this year they are just bored since most other activities are cancelled or curtailed.  They need stuff to explode. Alan

Thanks Alan. I finally entered the right search term and the church is Nuestra Señora Del Pilar. According to Mr Google, "The modern Fiestas del Pilar, as they developed since the 19th century, begin on the weekend preceding 12 October and they end on the Sunday after 12 October (i.e. they move between 5–13 and 11–19 October)."

On 10/12/2020 at 4:54 PM, MtnMama said:

The Catholic Church at San Lucas and Hidalgo has been having evening services (bells announcing) every evening at 6 PM for over a week. Unfortunately the services are accompanied by very loud cahotes lasting from about 5:30 to 7 PM. My dogs are nearly hysterical.

I don't remember this happening before. I was hoping it was an anniversary of some sort and would only last a week. If it is for that chapel's particular saint, any idea how long it will last?

If war were ever declared on Mexico nobody would believe it. That said, I feel for the dogs and cats when the cohetes start. It's like armegeddon for them. The dog I had was positively terrified and the cat would hide under the bed.