Chapala.com Webboard

Interested in Lake Chapala for future travel and possible living

Hello!

We are Lester Bennett and Luis Martinez Garcia.  We currently live in Georgia.  We are in our 60's and have been looking for relocation in our retirement.  I am a former college teacher and Luis is a former architect from Spain.  I taught in the States for many years at different schools including teaching in Thailand, Australia and the EU.  Luis worked in Angola and mostly in Spain. His family is from Galicia, an autonomous community in Spain’s northwest.

We have done some research about Lake Chapala. There is a lot more that we would like to know.  

I am new at this. I have never been in a webchat, so I am sort of loss for what to say.  I have so many questions.

We both have children.  I have 4 children, two boys and two girls, five grandchildren who live in Georgia, not far from where we live.  Luis has one son who lives in Madrid with his girlfriend and their dog, Ubri.  We try to go every year and stay in Torremolinos, very close to Malaga, and they come down and visit us.

We have a small farm in Monroe, about 50 miles south of Atlanta.  We have quite a zoo here with 5 cats, 1 dog, 13 hair sheep, 1 peacock, 1 turkey, 12 Roman geese, 1 cockatiel, 1 Guinea, and of course chickens.

Well, that is a little about us.

I hope to hear from someone.  I would really like to know more about life around Lake Chapala.

Best regards, 

Lester and Luis

What are you looking for in a retirement location? What are your priorities? What would be deal breakers for you?

Living here is like living anywhere. You will find much the same in your day to day life but with the differences you would expect from a very different culture. If having a well ordered life where things happen predictably and on schedule is very important to you than much frustration awaits you. If you are curious and adventurous, like learning, and adapt easily you will have great fun. 

This web board was a huge resource for me before I movved 2 years ago.  Bongo the main forum on Lake Chapala an just read ,read, read through the posts, because all kinds of things are discussed.  Then you can ask more specific questions. You've posted in the section of the we board about a specific organization, the Lake Chapala Society. Very few people will ever see your post.