Chapala.com Webboard

Expired INM card

Susan111

Hi there, 

I have an expired INM card (Canadian passport) and am living in Chapala. I was going to renew it in July at the Tijajuana airport / US border, but understood it wasn't possible because only essential travel was permitted into the USA. Today I went into the Chapala immigration office, and was told the borders are all open and I should renew the expiry on the card when I'm able to. Given that the US/Mex border is still restricted to essential travel (according to this website: https://mx.usembassy.gov/travel-restrictions-fact-sheet/) it appears like I shouldn't yet go to Tijajuana until the US/Mex border opens up to non-essential travel. 

Also, at one point I understood there was an option for anyone to go to the Guadalajara immigration office to file some paperwork to have the INM expiry renewed, but was told at the Chapala immigration office that this option is now no longer available unless you are over 60 and have a certain pension/income. 

Any suggestions you may have on how I should best handle this renewal, would be appreciated,

With thanks!

Aren't you able to fly, or are you driving a Canadian plated car?  How long has your FMM been expired?  You seem to have missed a deadline to renew in Mexico. Check with Sonia Diaz, who posts here.

If you are "living in Chapala", you really should get a residence visa. and could be told that at the border.

52 minutes ago, RVGRINGO said:

Aren't you able to fly, or are you driving a Canadian plated car?  How long has your FMM been expired?  You seem to have missed a deadline to renew in Mexico. Check with Sonia Diaz, who posts here.

If you are "living in Chapala", you really should get a residence visa. and could be told that at the border.

Thanks! Can you share more about what you mean by "You seem to have missed a deadline to renew in Mexico"?

I was planning to fly to Tijanuara at expiring time (end of July), but after reviewing what the US customs had on their website, it looked like I couldn't enter the US unless it was for "essential travel". Since I would be just going into the US, turning around, and going to back Mexico, that didn't seem to qualify as essential travel. 

I am not sure why you must 'go into' the US from within the Tijuana airport if your only intent is to get another Mexican FMM. Cannot one just, after flying into TJ from somewhere within Mexico, just go to INM there at the airport and get a new Tourist Card...what you are calling a INM? And then board a plane back to Guadalajara. Would it not be just as you would have walked into the TJ airport from the US using the CBX walkway with the intent of flying somewhere in Mexico?

I've not personally used that CBX walkway into the airport from the US but tons of folks do that, get an FMM within the airport and then fly somewhere within Mexico.

What is an expired INM Card?
From your situation it sounds like you have an expired tourist visa as you expect to cross over the MX/US border and come back.
It is possible that you will either be refused a tourist visa OR have the next MX tourist visa reduced from the usual 180 day.

I am assuming you are referring to an FMM.  Have you called Spencer's office here to see if he can do it?  376-765-7553      331-556-0828 cell    If he says no then check with Sonia Diaz

Posted Sept 3rd  

In San Miguel, I have renewed 40+ FMM tourist cards, once expired. After renewal, Aduana in Queretaro will renew your TIP (car permit). Once you have your new FMM you may apply for Temporary Resident, again locally. I have had clients come from as far as Zihuatanejo and Ajijic to renew FMM's and TIP. I also have TR applications being processed using financials and this temporary program.

www.soniadiaz.mx

• Like 1

This was posted by Sonia Diaz on Sept 29 - Note #2

"Inmigracion COVID Exemptions Stopped
At Inmigracion, as of this morning all the exemptions for COVID have stopped. The rationale being Mexican consulates are open.
1. You may not enter Mexico with an expired Temporary Resident card.
2. FMM tourist cards are no longer renewed in Mexico using a "humanitarian" process; they may still be renewed through a "regularization" process and paying 3 fees.
3. A Temporary Resident card that expired IN MEXICO may only be renewed by paying a fine and a review fee if it expired within less than 60 days. It also requires proving financials and starting over at year 1.
4. A Temporary Resident process may no longer be initiated in Mexico.
In other words, all the Inmigracion rules are back to what they were in March and earlier."
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

At least in San Miguel, and the rule exists with INM so it should be national, an expired FMM tourist card may be renewed with 3 fees. They total just over 3700 pesos. It is called regularization.

On 10/2/2020 at 12:42 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Today's Phonics Lesson:

Tea = Ti

Wha = jua

Nah = na

Teawhana = Tijuana

Spelling Lesson:

INM stands for INMIGRACION

That was the most mangled spelling of Tijuana I've ever seen. Even when someone responded, spelling it correctly, the OP again wrote it wrong in yet another way. 

Oh, I believe her. Some people just don't understand, believe, care that when they are traipsing around in a foreign country illegally it might be a big deal. Sounds like it 'just took too much energy' to not let that happen.... but then of course I could be wrong. 

• Like 1