Chapala.com Webboard

Going rate for a house cleaner

Susan111

We pay 75 peso per hour, four hours a week.  Two weeks a year paid vacation.  Xmas bonus. Lunch and she gets first shot at anything we are eliminating from our house. We also pay her more on holidays or give her the option to not show up and still get paid. Last but not least we give her sick days. She is the best. If we had to let her go we would owe her a calculated settlement also.

11 hours ago, mudgirl said:

FYI Susan: Vacation pay and Xmas bonus, mentioned above, as well as severance pay, are not something employers just do out of the goodness of their heart- those are govt. mandated benefits, not a choice. Some may choose to give extra, but there is a formula for what you are required to pay.

Correct Mudgirl and if all the labor laws were enforced the true benefits of lower living costs between Canada/U.S. and MX would not be so attractive

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

if all the labor laws were enforced the true benefits of lower living costs between Canada/U.S. and MX would not be so attractive

Really? Try getting anyone to clean your house in Canada for less than $15/hour. Even when paying all the govt. mandated benefits in Mexico, there's no comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2020 at 6:57 PM, Susan111 said:

Hi there, 

We are up in Chula Vista and wonder what the going hourly rate would be to hire a house cleaner up, for 10-11 hours per week. 

If you have any thoughts, I would love to hear!

With thanks,

Susan

Since thing are so iffy with the virus, not the time to hire a new person   Everyone now has so much time on their hands, try cleaning yourselves.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Really? Try getting anyone to clean your house in Canada for less than $15/hour. Even when paying all the govt. mandated benefits in Mexico, there's no comparison.

I was trying to explain that perceived cost in MX are not actual costs, so people should not be fooled by those big bold headlines of how "cheap" it is to live here...and given the lack of service and performance recently of Telmex..anyone trying to do fast and reliable business on the internet may wish to have 2nd thoughts about relocating to "paradise"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Daisy 2013 "Since thing are so iffy with the virus, not the time to hire a new person   Everyone now has so much time on their hands, try cleaning yourselves."

Wow, more unasked for life advice. Not everyone has (1) time on their hands (2) the physical ability to clean house (for any number of reasons, which are personal.) How about you use some of the time on your hands to do a little introspection?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I was trying to explain that perceived cost in MX are not actual costs...

I did a quick calculation and determined the required benefits add only 10% to the hourly rate, excluding severance. I still have the same cleaner for 200 MXN a week.

Guess my perceptions are way off. 

Gardener pool service $750 per month. Health insurance $1075 per month. Telephone/ internet $389 per month.  Property tax $450 per month. Sky TV $599 per month. Car insurance $550 per month. Gas $100 per month (solar water)  Electricity $25 per month (solar) Maid $1900 per month with all costs. Prime video $99 per month   Homeowners insurance $460 per month  Cell $199 per month  =$6596

In the Texas last month Gardener $125 per month, Pool service $70 per month, Health insurance $540 per month (less coverage than Mexico) Cable (internet-phone-TV) $225 per Month. Property tax $548 per month. Car insurance $210 per month. Electricity $210 per month. Maid $300 per month.  Amazon prime $6.49 per month. Homeowners insurance $78 per month Cell $36 per month 

So converting at a rate of only 20 pesos per dollar  $6596 mx per month = $330 US per month in Mexico

Us total    $2349 US   per month  (houses are similar in value) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I think thinking in hourly rates is not all that applicable here.   In the maid search I would have the applicant come in and either give you a price for the job you expect to be done; or, let her do the job one day for a stipulated price and then give you a price.  

• Like 2

I use a cleaning service that charges me $800 pesos for 4 hours of 1 housecleaner.  I got a chuckle from the post about "so much time on our hands" since so many of us need that maid service for tasks we can no longer handle ourselves due  entirely to infirmities, rather than time constraints.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 9/29/2020 at 9:16 AM, gringal said:

I use a cleaning service that charges me $800 pesos for 4 hours of 1 housecleaner.  I got a chuckle from the post about "so much time on our hands" since so many of us need that maid service for tasks we can no longer handle ourselves due  entirely to infirmities, rather than time constraints.

Really expensive for Mexico!

• Like 1

I use a service as well, for 3 hours once a week. Yes, it is more money than I paid when I handled the hiring, etc. myself but I don't l want to do that again. The service pays insurance costs, as well as annual bonuses, etc. They also supply all equipment and cleaning products. If the cleaner is not satisfactory, they find a capable replacement. It works for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All I know is that I have had the same cleaning crew for more than 10 years. I have 2 young ladies who come to the house three times per week between 8:15 and 11:15 AM. Why two? because the youngest girl was under 15 when she started working and according to tradition persons under 15 need parental supervision.

(The younger girl went to high school in the afternoon). Today these two young ladies (sisters) work 2 persons*3 hours*3days=18 hours per week and I am paying them $1,050 per week which works out to $58.33 per hour. Oh and they get all of the benefits of an employee, vacation etc.

I have always told my property manager to give my employees all the benefits they are entitled to. So my costs, for each hour of their work is higher, of course than $58.33.  I could give you more details as to their actual costs per hour, if I were lakeside. But I'm up here in Seattle, hiding from the coronavirus, enjoying TV dinners and bored to death hoping I can get my corona Vaccine soon so that I can return to home, Ajijic.

1 hour ago, kam said:

I use a service as well, for 3 hours once a week. Yes, it is more money than I paid when I handled the hiring, etc. myself but I don't l want to do that again. The service pays insurance costs, as well as annual bonuses, etc. They also supply all equipment and cleaning products. If the cleaner is not satisfactory, they find a capable replacement. It works for me.

Are you using Spring Cleaning?

Paying by the job can be iffy.  My maid has had a habit of working very fast, doing sometimes sloppy work, and leaving early.  I had to be very clear with her that I expected her to work for the full 2 hours that she told me it would take to do my cleaning.  Paying by the job invites cutting corners.  I prefer by the hour and I tell her if she gets 'through" faster, she can find more to do.  I've had to point out a lot of things that were not getting cleaned right.  Fortunately I speak enough Spanish to have this conversation.

1 hour ago, ezpz said:

Paying by the job can be iffy.  My maid has had a habit of working very fast, doing sometimes sloppy work, and leaving early.  I had to be very clear with her that I expected her to work for the full 2 hours that she told me it would take to do my cleaning.  Paying by the job invites cutting corners.  I prefer by the hour and I tell her if she gets 'through" faster, she can find more to do.  I've had to point out a lot of things that were not getting cleaned right.  Fortunately I speak enough Spanish to have this conversation.

If you pay by the job or pay by the hour should make no difference on what you are willing to accept. You are the boss. You are in charge. 

All my Mexican relatives pay by the job. They dictate the requirements of the job. None of the help cuts corners .. Why  They want to keep their jobs. If anything they work longer hours so the bosses are happy.

• Like 1