Chapala.com Webboard

Are there any absentee Arizona voter out there

cedros

Today I got an absentee ballot from Arizona for my housebound neighbour. The print on the ballot is so small you need a magnifying glass to read it. I can enlarge it and then print it. My question is will Arizona accept the enlarged ballot? I am reluctant to contact them.

Just now, oregontochapala said:

Democrats Abroad have been at LCS every day to assist with any and all questions and to help voters from states like AZ send in their votes.

I'm not on my PC at the moment to give you the hours, but they can be found easily.

Thanks. That is a long way to go but maybe I will get a chance.

3 minutes ago, Wefferr2 said:

Republican or Democrat? Just kidding. I had to call AZ on a ballot matter today and the were very helpful. In lieu of that why not enlarge the ballot so your neighbor can read it and let him or her transfer their vote to the original? Good luck.

R or D that is not for me to decide. I don't follow you with the transfer.

Are you talking about a paper ballot? AZ is one of the states that allows you to return your ballot electronically. Call the County Election Official and see if your neighbor can still receive the ballot by email. Explain the situation. Then the ballot will be easier to read.

The ONLY accurate resource for this type of question is the County Election Official.

• Like 1

We are Absentee AZ voters.  We received our online ballot, had trouble reading it when we tried to print it so, we transferred the information to a USB stick and took it to ISHOP to print for us and it was all more clear.  I can see it but my husband can't, he used a magnifying glass to read it but ended up just telling me how he wanted to vote which actually worked best.

10 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

Democrats Abroad have been at LCS every day to assist with any and all questions and to help voters from states like AZ send in their votes.

I'm not on my PC at the moment to give you the hours, but they can be found easily.

I read somewhere that you have to show your LCS membership to enter the grounds. That leaves me out.

8 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Are you talking about a paper ballot? AZ is one of the states that allows you to return your ballot electronically. Call the County Election Official and see if your neighbor can still receive the ballot by email. Explain the situation. Then the ballot will be easier to read.

The ONLY accurate resource for this type of question is the County Election Official.

Paper. I would rather not talk to them as I am a 3rd party. I don't see how that would make it any easier to read unless the fiddled with it.

11 minutes ago, ibarra said:

We are Absentee AZ voters.  We received our online ballot, had trouble reading it when we tried to print it so, we transferred the information to a USB stick and took it to ISHOP to print for us and it was all more clear.  I can see it but my husband can't, he used a magnifying glass to read it but ended up just telling me how he wanted to vote which actually worked best.

How did you send the ballot back to Arizona? I plan on sending it via Fax. If I use the ballot with the tiny print it would be a two page fax. If I enlarge the print it would be a 4 or 6 page ballot to fax. Would they reject this in Arizona? So you too must have sent a larger ballot back than what you received.. Maybe?

10 hours ago, Wefferr2 said:

My point was if now they can read the enlarged copy of the ballot with the original next to it they should be able to fill out the original. Good luck again.

I get it now but will they allow you to fiddle with the document size.

16 minutes ago, cedros said:

I get it now but will they allow you to fiddle with the document size.

Only the local election official will give you the answer.  Their number is on the ballot instructions.  They will answer your question and probably won't even ask who you are.    

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cedros said:

How did you send the ballot back to Arizona? I plan on sending it via Fax. If I use the ballot with the tiny print it would be a two page fax. If I enlarge the print it would be a 4 or 6 page ballot to fax. Would they reject this in Arizona? So you too must have sent a larger ballot back than what you received.. Maybe?

No, we did NOT enlarge the ballot at ISHOP.  We had THEM print it and it was much clearer than from our printer.  We tried to fax the primary ballot and it did not work.  We have not sent the current ballot back yet.  However, today I am taking our signed ballots to ISHOP and will have them scan and email them to us.  I will then Upload those documents to the AZ website.  I believe all that is needed for the Upload is the Affidavit page and the actual ballot page.  We will then verify receipt on the same website.  https://recorder.maricopa.gov/UOCAVA/login.aspx

Personally, I would not mess with the ballot by enlarging it.  Ballot tampering????    Get help to read to these people and then, if you choose, follow what we are going to do.  It is simple, just a little driving to ISHOP. 

10 minutes ago, ibarra said:

No, we did NOT enlarge the ballot at ISHOP.  We had THEM print it and it was much clearer than from our printer.  We tried to fax the primary ballot and it did not work.  We have not sent the current ballot back yet.  However, today I am taking our signed ballots to ISHOP and will have them scan and email them to us.  I will then Upload those documents to the AZ website.  I believe all that is needed for the Upload is the Affidavit page and the actual ballot page.  We will then verify receipt on the same website.  https://recorder.maricopa.gov/UOCAVA/login.aspx

Personally, I would not mess with the ballot by enlarging it.  Ballot tampering????    Get help to read to these people and then, if you choose, follow what we are going to do.  It is simple, just a little driving to ISHOP. 

A lot of driving to iShop as I live in Jocotepec. Mine is clear enough to read with a magnifying glass-just too small . I have never seen an American ballot before. A bit different.

I have a scanner.

I emailed the Arizona voting people and they repliied;

"We are aware that the printing is very small, but unfortunately the ballots were formatted by the Division of Elections to fit on an 8 x 11 piece of paper and that isn’t something our office has any authority to change when sending them out. We’ll accept them however you choose to return them, even if it ends up being 5-6 pages."

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cedros said:

Pima County, so maybe all counties, will accept photos of the ballot and affidavit.  I've just voted, taken photos, emailed them in and received a receipt. Go for it absentee voters - please!

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 8:08 PM, oregontochapala said:

23 hours ago, cedros said:

I read somewhere that you have to show your LCS membership to enter the grounds. That leaves me out.

LCS is allowing non-members free access to bring their ballots to the campus.  

27 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

LCS is allowing non-members free access to bring their ballots to the campus.  

What does LCS do once you bring your ballot in. I ask because I don't want it to go by mail as it is too slow. I want mine to go by fax

1 hour ago, cedros said:

What does LCS do once you bring your ballot in. I ask because I don't want it to go by mail as it is too slow. I want mine to go by fax

If you do not have a FAX (some printers have this function), you can:

• take it to a local business offering FAX services
  • if you have scanner or printer with scan function, you can use an online free fax service

I used https://www.gotfreefax.com/ It is free for the 3 pages, then $0.98 for up to 10 pages (my ballot was 4 pages).  There are other free online FAX services (most offer 3 pages free), but this one took PayPal which I prefer.  This company had live tracking of my FAX, sent me a confirmation when completed.  My local elections office got the FAX promptly.  

19 hours ago, cedros said:

I have a scanner.

I emailed the Arizona voting people and they repliied;

"We are aware that the printing is very small, but unfortunately the ballots were formatted by the Division of Elections to fit on an 8 x 11 piece of paper and that isn’t something our office has any authority to change when sending them out. We’ll accept them however you choose to return them, even if it ends up being 5-6 pages."

How did you find the courage to finally contact the only people who could give you the true answer?  How much tequila was needed before you sent that email?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

Vote from Abroad/Dems Abroad has a closet ballot box which is taken to the U.S. Consulate in Guadalajara for transfer to U.S. via diplomatic pouch,

LCS does not itself do anything with the ballots.

Where does the "diplomatic pouch" go once it hits the U.S.?  Not everyone is from the same State in the U.S.  To my knowledge, votes are counted within each State so, the ballots have to get to those States somehow.

33 minutes ago, ibarra said:

Where does the "diplomatic pouch" go once it hits the U.S.?  Not everyone is from the same State in the U.S.  To my knowledge, votes are counted within each State so, the ballots have to get to those States somehow.

Everyone puts their ballot in a sealed envelope addressed to their local Elections Office.