Chapala.com Webboard

renew a Temp Res Visa

JGiff

I haven't seen anything about this when searching so I will ask.

I'm sure it probably still can't be done but wonder if the MX Govt is allowing people to renew their TR visas from abroad because of the Covid situation. I know I'm reaching and dreaming. 

I wanted to drive down from Canada , I have 2 dogs and we all know we can't cross the Can/US border. I know I can fly but don't really want to rent a car for 4-5 months. Looked at trying to get a dual citizen to take my car into the USA but that would be breaking the rules and all the many other problems that would bring. 

Sonia Diaz posted this about a month ago, https://www.chapala.com/webboard/index.php?/topic/88652-expired-temporary-resident-visas/&tab=comments#comment-667906

Posted August 16

Visa Expiration During COVID

These are temporary programs and not all Inmigracion offices may implement. This process is available in San Miguel and where else, I do not know.

1. Visa Expires When in Mexico

You may renew a Temporary Resident visa which has expired. There is no fine. There is no penalty.

2. Visa Expires When Outside of Mexico

You may renew a Temporary Resident visa which has expired. There is no fine. There is no penalty. However, it is critical, when entering Mexico, that you complete an FMM and you must not mark tourist and best not to check any category and no stamp by Immigration staff. You must convince the immigration officer at your point of entry not to enter you as a tourist on their computers. If this happens you will be a tourist and you will need to start over at a Mexican consulate.

www.soniadiaz.mx