Chapala.com Webboard

OneSIM card

InChapala1

Has anyone successfully used OneSIM card (https://www.onesimcard.com/international-sim-card/) to receive SMS security codes from a U.S. bank? Starting next month, my U.S. bank will stop sending SMS security codes to email addresses and previously stopped sending codes to VoIP numbers. So, I need U.S. phone # to access my bank online. Yes, I could get a U.S. number from Consumer Cellular (or another U.S. pre-pay company), but I’d like the option to use the phone while traveling in other countries for calls, texts and data. Consumer Cellular and other U.S. pre-pay companies don’t seem to offer good travel options. An internet search came up with OneSIM card, but would like to hear other’s experience before trying this.

I have used OneSim for years. You have to make sure you get a SIM specifically for banking. So far it has worked with all banks and credit card companies, although some can be fussy at times,  e.g. it works fine with one Chase account and sometimes not at all with another.  Keep the option of receiving codes by email for times like that.

• Thanks 2

On 9/19/2020 at 5:21 PM, InChapala1 said:

Has anyone successfully used OneSIM card (https://www.onesimcard.com/international-sim-card/) to receive SMS security codes from a U.S. bank? Starting next month, my U.S. bank will stop sending SMS security codes to email addresses and previously stopped sending codes to VoIP numbers. So, I need U.S. phone # to access my bank online. Yes, I could get a U.S. number from Consumer Cellular (or another U.S. pre-pay company), but I’d like the option to use the phone while traveling in other countries for calls, texts and data. Consumer Cellular and other U.S. pre-pay companies don’t seem to offer good travel options. An internet search came up with OneSIM card, but would like to hear other’s experience before trying this.

I suspect that TextNow may work for you and it's FREE......

https://www.textnow.com/

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2020 at 8:32 AM, bedbug said:

I have used OneSim for years. You have to make sure you get a SIM specifically for banking. So far it has worked with all banks and credit card companies, although some can be fussy at times,  e.g. it works fine with one Chase account and sometimes not at all with another.  Keep the option of receiving codes by email for times like that.

Thanks for the info. I will look in to the SIM specifically for banking. Concerned that it can be fussy at times, since my bank will no longer offer the email option. Received this message from my bank: "As part of our commitment to your security, we're removing the email option in the coming weeks because our team has identified a trend of fraudsters attempting to take advantage of security codes delivered to email."

44 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Capital One told me that the texts MUST be sent to a cellphone with a SIM registered in my name from a cellphone company . In other words, it must use the cell tower network, NOT the internet.

Other banks may differ....

So they won't accept a throw away or pre-pay cell which receives the texts over towers? 

And how will they know if the phone is registered in your name?  Does your bank have access to the phone registry of dozens of cell phone companies across the USA?  

How would they know when they text to a phone number (they use the internet to do that) if the ultimate text is delivered by a cell tower?  Some of the major cell companies actually switch your phone to internet reception when you are in range of one of their wifi connections.  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

And how will they know if the phone is registered in your name?  Does your bank have access to the phone registry of dozens of cell phone companies across the USA?  .....

Yes they do. When I tried to use my cellphone on my wife's account, they said no because it's not registered in her name.