Chapala.com Webboard

anyone use mexican consulate in Nogales for visa application?

lynn rattray

I've been told by several people not to use the consulate in san diego so wondering which consulate (of the border cities) is the easiest to use right now . I called the Nogales office about this and both times i was sent to a "full" mailbox. 

i'm anxious to get this started. Also do the financial statements have to be notarized in some fashion. thanks any info would be helpful

I have been told by a few different people that Tucson is reasonable consulate to deal with. We tried to apply last September when we first moved down but did not have enough months of retirement income to show yet. We got the 6 month tourist visa and expected to return to the us to apply within that time frame. A variety of situations including Covid-19, my mother’s terminal medical diagnosis and need to participate in her personal care in Oregon, her subsequent death and a plethora of other tragedies we had not had the opportunity to get back to Tucson to do so:/ 
We just returned from Oregon and hoped to apply for our permanent visa there but due to COVID, to put in your application there, you first have to email to dbenitez@sre.gob.mx. He can tell you what he requires to schedule the appointment for you depending on what form of income you are using to qualify. We were using our SSI and pension income to qualify and the requirements for that were as follow:

Types of visas and requirements:

1.     Must present originals and copies of all documents required in order to apply for a visa. If presenting bank statements you must request a letter from your banker stating that you are the rightful owner of the account. 

2.       All visas have a processing Fee of $40.00 USD Non-refundable in order for the application to be submitted.

3.       Consular interview does NOT guarantee the issue of the visa.

4.      The Consul of Mexico has the right to request more documents if needed.

5.       Each person applying for residency must present their own income at the time of their interview, unless he/she is applying through family unity.

-Temporary residency visa:

-Solvency Economic: Investment receipts or bank statements showing an average monthly overall balance of over $40,000 USD aprox, per-month, (12 months of statements).

-Applicant's pension bank statements with a monthly income of over $1,600 USD (presented lettler from social security). 

-Permanent Residency Visa

Solvency Economic: Investment receipts or bank statements showing an average monthly overall balance of over $80,000 USD per-month, a aprox (12 months of statements).

-Applicant's pension bank statements with a monthly income of over $2,500 USD (presented lettler from social security).

Must Have an Appointment:
-Visa Application must be on double sided paper. -Original Passport & Copy of first page of passport-Photo (32mm x 26mm) -frontal view,in color, white background-No glasses.-Proof of legal status in the US (non US Citizens).-Fee $40.00 U.S.D (NON-REFUNDABLE)
EVERY DOCUMENT MUST HAVE SCAN TO OUR EMAIL

We were surprised by the “Statement from your bank that you are the rightful owner of that account”! I had to make the request three different times to my bank to get something that the consulate would accept and it took us 4 days to get the “statement “ from Charles Schwab. Then we were making the request the week before Labor Day so when the guy finally got back to me the soonest appointment was the 23rd of September and we did not want to wait in AZ that long so just came home with another 6 month tourist visa. We will have to return to some consulate in the US before that expires:/ This was early last week, Sept, 8th. 
Hope that helps!

15 hours ago, Susy Wilson said:

Types of visas and requirements:

1.     Must present originals and copies of all documents required in order to apply for a visa. If presenting bank statements you must request a letter from your banker stating that you are the rightful owner of the account. 

We just secured our Residencia Temporal visa mid-June 2020 at the Consulado de Kansas City. I brought copies 2 sets each of documents for me and my wife of Income (bank statements had my name and my wife's name, no letter from the bank which I've not heard of) and Savings (401k/Annuity, etc). I also brought a couple copies of our marriage license. I believe more is better so another visit with forms was not required.

In the end our Consulado Officer picked exactly what she wanted (did not need the marriage license after seeing it). We were offer Permenente but we chose Temporal becuase I wanted to drive our vehicle into Mexico. 

In the end each Consulado does what it wants within reason. Also, ask about the needed photo's. We brought photo's BUT their new system (at least in KC) took our photo with their camera when we were approved and placed it in a new electronic visa page onto our passport.

As I stated we were surprised by the request for a letter from the bank and in March when we spoke to the consulate in Tucson no one said it was required. As mentioned each consulate seems to do things their own way and since the OP was asking about Tucson and we have the recent requirements they need I thought it could be helpful. 

• Like 1