Chapala.com Webboard

Landscaper Needed

Zeb

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't quite understand. Make a list of the herbs and edible plants you would like to have, look them up online to find out what sort of conditions they thrive in (full sun, partial shade, dry conditions, constant watering, height they grow to, whether they are perennials, bi-annuals or annuals, etc.) then you can figure out what areas you would need to plant them in, and if you aren't into gardening yourself, get your gardener to place them aporopriately.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Sometimes we want to pay someone else. In this case, someone who already knows all that. Or, you could take up auto-mechanics. All you have to do is look it up, right?

Yes.  I did not want to have to do all that research or figure out the layout so that it is aesthetically pleasing and there is also the best way to combine them with Ornamentals.  Lots to know.

Well Zeb, I don't always agree with Mudgirl but seriously if all you want are edible plants, herbs and medicinals.  It might be more rewarding to research tropical or subtropical varieties that interest you and just order them online.  What can't be found in the local viveros Mercado Libre can be pretty amazing and sometimes the most available option.  And many of these edibles and herbs might do very well in decent sized pots and you can move them around as you see fit.  

9 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Well Zeb, I don't always agree with Mudgirl but seriously if all you want are edible plants, herbs and medicinals.  It might be more rewarding to research tropical or subtropical varieties that interest you and just order them online.  What can't be found in the local viveros Mercado Libre can be pretty amazing and sometimes the most available option.  And many of these edibles and herbs might do very well in decent sized pots and you can move them around as you see fit.  

As stated above I don't want all,

(1) just some incorporated with ornamentals.

(2) someone experienced to counsel me on which to buy.

Same original request.

Get thee to a vivero and ask your questions to someone who (may) know the real answers. Get your plants and then hire someone to spot them around, check it out and make any corrections you desire, then have them planted. Time's a wasting.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mudgirl said:

Have you even asked at local viveros for someone who can do this for you? That is your best bet. The owners themselves or some of their employees may very well provide such a service.

Have I "even" asked at local Viveros comes across as critical.    I know how to drive around and ask and I also know many will say yes, and yes I have done that.   That doesn't mean they can really do it or that they are reliable. After living here several years, I am not that trusting anymore.  I get a lot of "yes" I can do from people and the work is shoddy.

The best way is to get a referral from someone.  Also, I had a person who said he was a landscaper and yet when I asked for drawings , more than once, he never provided them and what seemed obvious to me, is that he considers himself a landscaper because he installs landscaping.  That is not a landscape designer by any means.

16 minutes ago, AndyPanda said:

Hmmm. I come here to ask questions to see if anyone has an answer before I go trucking around town. Like everyone. Advice about how to grow trucking around town, for most of us adults, is not necessary.

Exactly.

What it sounds like you are looking for is what is called up north a landscape architect. They go to school for that and have degrees in that. You might find someone in Guadalajara, but I'd say the chances of finding that Lakeside are small.

And a friend of mine who had a gardening business in Denver told me she absolutely hated it when clients asked her to put in gardens designed by landscape architects. They came up with these beautiful drawings that looked great on paper, but they didn't seem to know much about the requirements of different plants. So they would have plants which required full sun and dry conditions in the same area as plants which required a lot of water and partial shade.

All I know is that where I live in Sayulita, the people who do this kind of work are also the people who run the viveros. They know exactly how big each plant grows, what conditions they thrive under, etc. Of course they would need to have the same aesthetic as you, or understand the look you were after. 

15 hours ago, Zeb said:

Have I "even" asked at local Viveros comes across as critical.    I know how to drive around and ask and I also know many will say yes, and yes I have done that.   That doesn't mean they can really do it or that they are reliable. After living here several years, I am not that trusting anymore.  I get a lot of "yes" I can do from people and the work is shoddy.

The best way is to get a referral from someone.  Also, I had a person who said he was a landscaper and yet when I asked for drawings , more than once, he never provided them and what seemed obvious to me, is that he considers himself a landscaper because he installs landscaping.  That is not a landscape designer by any means.

Some people need help using the bathroom and most do not. Part of life is being daring...taking some risks. Try it, failure is not so terrible.

• Haha 1

I suggest you put any herbs etc. that you are buying in pots first and then place them where you want them. If they aren't happy, it's easy to move them and try a different location. I happen to like the architectural appeal of plants in pots. It adds height and visual appeal to a flatter landscape immediately. The pots also prevent the herbs and edibles from becoming invasive and growing where you don't them to be. It's an adventure and immensely rewarding when you get it right.

We used a landscape architect who also owned a vivero just outside of Bucerias for our new build in San Pancho. For the most part, it was instant satisfaction and expensive. We still had to tweak things over the next two years. Such is life.

6 hours ago, Ferret said:

I suggest you put any herbs etc. that you are buying in pots first and then place them where you want them. If they aren't happy, it's easy to move them and try a different location. I happen to like the architectural appeal of plants in pots. It adds height and visual appeal to a flatter landscape immediately. The pots also prevent the herbs and edibles from becoming invasive and growing where you don't them to be. It's an adventure and immensely rewarding when you get it right.

We used a landscape architect who also owned a vivero just outside of Bucerias for our new build in San Pancho. For the most part, it was instant satisfaction and expensive. We still had to tweak things over the next two years. Such is life.

Yes. Place in pots good idea.  I still want a layout for the yard.