Chapala.com Webboard

bat in the garage

midnight

Trimmed the tree and the bat moved into the garage (one wall open to the outdoor patio). Looking for suggestions for humane bat removal or ways to discourage the bat that won't hurt the little guy. It moves around to different high areas of the walls, so not just one spot. Anyone have success with this problem Lakeside? Thanks!

1 minute ago, midnight said:

One wall of the garage is open to the outdoor patio. The bat can come and go. It's a problem!

It is only a "problem" for the moment, it will go away, it will not attack you or your animals, relax.

• Like 3

Why do you want to get rid of the bat.  They eat more mosquitoes than purple martins.  Many people build bat houses in effort to attract them.  I think a bat in your garage would be an interesting topic to show visitors. 

• Like 2

Infected bats may not show any signs of rabies. Infection can only be confirmed in a laboratory.

But clinical signs in bats may include:

• behaviour changes: infected animals are prone to more aggression
  • disorientation and difficulty flying (infected bats may be injured as a result)
  • eyes taking on a staring expression

My friend had bats outside his front door and what a mess they made.   His contractor bought Transonic Pro Electronic Pest Control from Mercado Libre. It immediately worked.  They are not back.  This has many settings, he put it on low, as it has a sonic sound that keeps the bats away.    Good luck.  This was installed outside so I am sure it also helped the. Neighbors 

Vampire bats aren't around here, except above Joco.  A rumor spread about the bats and ignorant people went up to the caves above Joco and burned out the bats.  Were they vampires or fruit bats?  No one knew, but hysteria reigned for a while.  So stop with the vampire bat thing.  We need pollinators. 

Like bats, think bats are great, and don't want to harm it.  Don't, however, want to clean up bat poop every morning. Since the open wall to the garage does not allow for a closed door, the bat can come in whenever he likes. Thanks for the suggestions, ie the sonic method, and will keep trying to discourage the little guy in a humane way.

On 9/7/2020 at 8:04 PM, Islander said:

Bats do not like light. Put a flood light there.

I live in Raquet Club and have a carport and terrace where bats will gather for nighttime picnics unless I leave a light on. It doesn't need to be all that bright a light either.

They'll leave seeds and a bit of droppings on the floor in a darker part of each of these places.

On the terrace, it is one particular dark corner so I just put a night light to shine there and that is enough.

The carport has a motion sensitive light that detects them gather in a corner.

I don't know where they live but they sure do enjoy some fruit around here. I'm glad they are here and see them flying just after dusk sometimes. I just don't want them messing up my terrace or carport.