Chapala.com Webboard

Mustard bandits

artsnob

I was standing in my doorway three people wanted to come in I told I was closed, they pointed to shirt tail and there was some goo on it they proceeded to clean it of, they were asking me all kinds of questions, I then realize my wallet was gone they said it is over there on floor, there was no money in it and the credit card was still there so I figure they scanned it, so I called my bank which was closed so just to be safe I cancelled card, I ordinarily don’t Carry my cards but I had gone to Multiva machine and it was out of money this morning, the lady said they were servicing it in afternoon so I planned to go at five to get money...so tomorrow I will call my bank in USA and have them send new card, and find out if they used debit card  watch out folks these people were very well dressed and had European accent...

• Thanks 1

This happened to me several years ago in Tonala , while shopping in one store a guy came up to me a said I had mustard on my backside and started cleaning my backside and caused my wallet to pop out of my pocket luckily when it hit the floor it bounced forward and i just picked it up, later I read bout the mustard bandit i was very lucky ! 

9 hours ago, ea93105 said:

You let strangers get that close to you ? I would have stopped them at 6ft minimum regardless of masks

You're right, of course, but you'd be amazed at just how good some of these folks are, not just the mustard bandits. Sometimes, things happen so fast that you just don't connect the dots in time. I'm so sorry this happened to you, Artsnob, but don't beat yourself up because you did everything right afterwards. These folks practice at being evil scum while we assume most folks are good and let down our guards. Sadly, evil scum usually win.

23 hours ago, ea93105 said:

You let strangers get that close to you ? I would have stopped them at 6ft minimum regardless of masks

Victim blaming is not helpful. Just saying.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gogirl said:

Victim blaming is not helpful. Just saying.

It is amazing how many people say what they “would have done” about things that have never happened to them. In their imaginations they are smarter, more aware, braver than ordinary humans. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

"blaming" is saying that the victim was to blame. I didn't say that, but allowing strangers to get that close to you is a little like leaving the keys in your car. You are still a victim when it gets stolen but it would have been prudent to not have allowed the situation to even be possible. If a stranger approaches you and breaks the personal space boundary necessary today, politely back up a little and ask for space or raise you hand in the stop position, just sayin

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

"blaming" is saying that the victim was to blame. I didn't say that, but allowing strangers to get that close to you is a little like leaving the keys in your car. You are still a victim when it gets stolen but it would have been prudent to not have allowed the situation to even be possible. If a stranger approaches you and breaks the personal space boundary necessary today, politely back up a little and ask for space or raise you hand in the stop position, just sayin

like thingie!

1 minute ago, Upfront said:

oh for petes sake he has an art gallery. how far away are they supposed to be when they want to come inside to look

I believe social distancing is still in play. Every stranger is a danger these days.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, ea93105 said:

Say what you will but you are blaming him for letting strangers get too close and therefore getting robbed. If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gogirl said:

Say what you will but you are blaming him for letting strangers getting too close and therefore getting robbed. If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.

Say what you will, as long as its nice. 

Having just moved here from the States, I assure you it's no different there. ALWAYS know your surroundings and who is near you. Walmart parking lot, the Malecon, walking to your car, or on a sidewalk near the centro, etc. my head is on a swivel. (from my days as a Canadian Pacific RR conductor). not a panic mode just an awareness mode. Don't be so trusting of others that you misplace your common sense when you're out and about.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Jubilacion said:

Having just moved here from the States, I assure you it's no different there. ALWAYS know your surroundings and who is near you. Walmart parking lot, the Malecon, walking to your car, or on a sidewalk near the centro, etc. my head is on a swivel. (from my days as a Canadian Pacific RR conductor). not a panic mode just an awareness mode. Don't be so trusting of others that you misplace your common sense when you're out and about.

Here is another alternative, which will not be popular, but it is common in Mexico. Keep a good, well connected lawyer on retainer. It doesn't have to taxable cash, but gifts, vacations, etc. They are usually a family shared asset. If someone touches your clothing or body without your permission, punch them in the nose. Believe me, they will not expect that. If they start whining about medical costs, give them your lawyer's card, same if they are stupid enough to call the police. Then avoid people with taped up noses.

Mustard bandits would end within a year.

Edited by CHILLIN

18 hours ago, Upfront said:

nothing to do with your size or anger. you are proposing that people respond with violence, esp in mexico where you would go to jail even for being in the right. and you are insinuating that everyone is ready to react instantly in such a way when 99.9% of people have never even beenin a real fight. then you propose that seniors do this. l then yyou propose that seniors on fixed incomes put a lawyer on retainer. then you presume that they already know a good well connected lawyer. then you tell us to avoid people with taped up noses that sudeenly appear at our door.

seriously.i could never even have a pefrsonal meeting with you if i stood ten feet away because iw ouldnt know how you would react in ANY given situation.

i say again. the man owns a gallerywhere peoople enter every day. how is it on him to know how to prevent something like this unless he becomes experienced through exaclty what happend. and then is he supposed to distrust everyone for the rest of his life. seriously great advice. give the man a break. he reported something for all of us to be aware of

More sage advice from someone with a border promotion as an expert on everything-SNORK!

That's what gary[randy] chillin  is on everything. We are in agreement as to HIS demeanor,  upfront, ain't we?

• Sad 1

Aren't they going to be surprised then when at least one of them ends up with a bloodied nose?

I should add though that I am the least likely to be pick pocketed. I am over 6 foot, barrel chested, and often been mistaken as, and actually worked as, both a bouncer and body gaurd. They are not confrontational or violent, the job is the get them out the door as discreetly as possible. No apologies for a bad landing, sir.

On the other hand, Pedro Skeletor hired a body gaurd to stay in his house, because he insulted and threatened a liver cancer patient, and his visiting PTSD son. He hides behind his bad boy biker persona, but acts more like the Cowardly Lion.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Aren't they going to be surprised then when at least one of them ends up with a bloodied nose?

I should add though that I am the least likely to be pick pocketed. I am over 6 foot, barrel chested, and often been mistaken as, and actually worked as, both a bouncer and body gaurd. They are not confrontational or violent, the job is the get them out the door as discreetly as possible. No apologies for a bad landing, sir.

On the other hand, Pedro Skeletor hired a body gaurd to stay in his house, because he insulted and threatened a liver cancer patient, and his visiting PTSD son. He hides behind his bad boy biker persona, but acts more like the Cowardly Lion.

Then why does your wife compare you to Randy from the trailer park boys who is morbidly obese.-jajajajajajaja!-SNORK!

By the way except for  the odd minor tussle in hockey I have not had  a fight since I was 15 when as an intelligent person who was about to kill someone, decided that fighting was for animals and kids. It took 3 to pull me off the victim. Get your stories straight. the violent, crazy, wife abusing,alcoholic person and his equally violent and crazy son threatened to kill me. Although hiring a body guard was a nuisance for a week but it was prudent. How nice of you to make fun of my present life threatening disability  I should be easy for you, the tough guy, to dispatch me since I  have gone from an athletic 180 pounds to 110 in a short period.

pedro the magnificent kertesz

• Sad 2