Chapala.com Webboard

Cuban Sandwichaholic???

heidinrick

As restaurant after restaurant closes due to lockdown and virus restrictions reviews of this nature are unnecessary .and only cause further financial burdens . What do they achieve...nothing...if you have a bad experience don’t go back ....

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

On 9/7/2020 at 12:36 PM, Bisbee Gal said:

Rick----if you are still reading this thread, do you know if Sabor del Caribe is using a China Box (aka Caja China) to cook their pork?  About 10 years ago there was a place on the libramiento near where Pollo Don David is now, that had a China Box and their pork was excellent.  

No, we do not use a “caja china “ but the pork is delicious! Come give us a try. 

On 9/7/2020 at 10:13 PM, Mainecoons said:

I can't believe I missed all the fun and back biting here.  That's what I get for going on an RV trip.

This place looks great, minus the flies.  There's another place in that area we haven't returned to because of flies from nearby horses.  Hope this one doesn't have the same problem.

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, have no control over the flies! We spray several times a day to help with the problem. 

On 9/7/2020 at 1:30 PM, ea93105 said:

I ate there today. Sandwich was good (nothing to write home about)  but the side purple cole salad was not welcome. But 40 pesos for ice tea ?!? that was a turn off.  Too bad because its a convenient location.  Huertos is still a better option for the money.

Hi there, it sounds like you ate at Doppio Cafe and not the Cuban restaurant. We don’t make or carry purple cole salad. 

On 9/17/2020 at 7:47 PM, Ian Greenwood said:

Thank you so much Heidi n Rick ....sorry about all the dumb asses that answered your post  ...the Cuban Sandwich ,   Malanga fritters   ,black beans .. the real deal... definitely a return visit ...lots of interesting choices on the menu . If  you don’t like this Cuban Sandwich it’s because you don’t know what a Cuban Sandwich is..

Thank you ! 

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 12:04 PM, Carnivore said:

On September 9th when I first posted it was after receiving a friend's suggestion that we read the prior responses to the post.  My wife and I decided to take a look for ourselves.  We know very well what a Cuban sandwich is, having been to Cuba, southern Florida and the area around "Nueve Esquinas" in Guadalajara.  Further, there are probably at least a dozen authentic Cuban eateries in Guadalajara.  We also have our favourite Cuban restaurants in Scottsdale/Phoenix and having been, successfully in the restaurant business for many years we know what service, quality, value and the importance of visible management is all about!

There were three other diners present when we arrived at about 1:30p.m.  A lone woman reading a magazine and we never observed her eating. An elderly man and woman who left about ten minutes after we arrived.   The young waitress (the only employee we ever saw although it was apparent that someone else was in the kitchen) took our order for two beers.  Of the four beers listed on their poster board only two were available.  Twenty minutes went by before we received our beers (Victoria) but twice the waitress had returned to our table to ask which beer we had ordered.  We ordered two grilled Cuban sandwiches.  It was another 1/2 hour before we received our sandwiches.  The library patron had also left.  When our sandwiches arrived a lone male patron had just been seated.

Our sandwiches could not have been 1/2 inch thick and the toasted bun had been so obviously over toasted on a "press grill" that it was more like a "cracker" than bread.  The cracker was hard and scorched.  The ham was a square, thin, pink slice of processed something (perhaps turkey, some kind of ham or maybe even turtle....impossible to identify!) The pork consisted of thin pieces of almost burnt shreds of pork that were so dry they crunched.  It was identifiable as pork because virtually everyone knows what pork fat smells like.  The thin slice of yellowish processed cheese was not identifiable as it had virtually liquified and blended with the mustard.  There was so much plain yellow mustard on the sandwich that the mustard was really the only thing you could taste.   The fries were overcooked, dry and almost cold.

When our food arrived we had asked for another "Victoria" to split between us, but apparently the two we had received were the last available.  Remaining choice "Corona" but definitely not to our taste or liking, so we passed.

So the good thing....We had a polite, pretty little waitress who, likely to most 14 year olds,  would be considered "hot".  However, we left all of the fries, at least half of our sandwiches and when we settled our bill with our usual level of gratuity (as we know that no employee here has sufficient income and most have absolutely zero control over who they work for or the quality of what they serve)... our little waitress pleasantly said:  that she hoped we would return sometime soon!

Not exactly a visit worth repeating!  In addition the abundance of flies and road noise definitely detract from the ambiance.

Rick & Heidi.  Your visit and subsequent report should definitely have been recognized as being exceptional.  (It was only after reading your initial post that we decided to visit.)  Your visit must be considered as something akin to winning a lottery.  You should have immediately after leaving, raced to OXXO to buy a lottery ticket.  We ate many, many times in your restaurant and never, ever experienced anything even remotely close to our Cuban excursion in Riberas.  In fact, in our twenty three years, since first coming to Lakeside, I can really only remember having experienced one other Mexican restaurant experience where the food deserved an equivalent description:  TOTALLY INEDIBLE!

Dear Carnivore, There’s a lot I can say about your post and experience. First of all I want to apologize for your bad experience, secondly you mentioned being in the food industry yourself and should know that the best thing a customer can do “is let management know of your experience “ your food wasn’t cooked right ? You didn’t like it ? Let them know!! It gives them the opportunity to fix it! Why go behind “doors” and criticize and talk bad about the place when they have no clue there’s an unhappy customer. Good or bad reviews helps us grow. But the most important ones are the one brought up in person. We are a family owned business with 6 tables and 1 person is able to manage them. I hope you give other businesses the opportunity to fix any issues you may have in the future. 
Thanks to a very loyal customer, I found out about this place and told what’s being talked about us. We can’t grow or fix any problems if we don’t know about them. We strive to serve the best quality local product’s and service our customers deserve. Once again we Apologize for your bad experience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

I suggest that restaurant owners check this website for opinions.  I would find it very uncomfortable to discuss my dissastisfaction with the owner of the restaurant.  Who would be more aware of the shortcomings of the food and/or service than the owner? The lack of awareness would only be believable if the owner were not directly involved with the day to day operation of his/her business. The owner's post was unconvincing, at least to me.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Having owned several restaurants, I agree with the restaurant owner, comments can  be helpful and I always welcomed them whether I agreed or not.  Some are frivolous but often I gained useful information.  When I leave a restaurant and they ask me how the meal was, I will tell them whether they like it or not.  In Ajijic, I have complimented many and a few I have told them my opinion.  One or two I don't think I am welcome back anymore, just as well since I had no intention of going back any way.   

Uptight... on several other food / restaurant blogs Robertos  Cuban pork dishes have been  well liked ,not to mention rick ,Heidi and myself . You post  on almost every blog on  most of the forums ...the vast majority of which are  negative. ..” A bit ago “ ...” wold “....” affect “ ...was this  post  perhaps written during   ..happy hour...again .".....                                                   Gringal....” unconvincing at least “ sounds like he’s on trial....for his pork .                  Rafter.....I sometimes miss throwing obnoxious customers and amateur food critics out of my restaurants...it can become quite addictive.

• Like 9

This entire post has become so ridiculous that it's now only best described as bad or drunken humour.  In case some of the more self-aggrandizing posters have forgotten....the whole purpose of the forum it to allow restaurant clients to honestly report their good OR bad experiences so that anyone who happens to read the post can make their own decision about patronizing the eatery, OR not.  Some of the most recent posts can only be described as drivel and an incredible waste of time for both the poster and reader!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Carnivore said:

This entire post has become so ridiculous that it's now only best described as bad or drunken humour.  In case some of the more self-aggrandizing posters have forgotten....the whole purpose of the forum it to allow restaurant clients to honestly report their good OR bad experiences so that anyone who happens to read the post can make their own decision about patronizing the eatery, OR not.  Some of the most recent posts can only be described as drivel and an incredible waste of time for both the poster and reader!

...and THAT'S the truth!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Caribe should be congratulated for responding to this criticism in a thoughtful way.  We have not had a chance to sample the food as we are still in Oklahoma.  Our casa is in Riberas so I hope the restaurant will prove to be enjoyable.  I have not been to Cuba but my wife has.  It will be nice to have several good restaurants in walking distance of Riberas.  We usually eat out at least one meal a day.  A variety of choices will be nice.  Everyone is talking about the Cuban sandwich, surely they serve something else!  

• Like 1