Chapala.com Webboard

Can Mexican driver cross into Laredo w/Mexican car?

kimanjome

Title says it all.

I understand there is a 'buffer zone' into US where Mexicans with Mexican plated cars can travel as far as Laredo without needing Visa, etc. At least it was that way a few years ago.  

I need a driver to take me and my 2 cats (in plastic kennel carriers) across the border into Laredo, where I can catch a taxi to the Laredo airport and pick up a rental car to continue my journey.  

Doable?

1 hour ago, kimanjome said:

Title says it all.

I understand there is a 'buffer zone' into US where Mexicans with Mexican plated cars can travel as far as Laredo without needing Visa, etc. At least it was that way a few years ago.  

I need a driver to take me and my 2 cats (in plastic kennel carriers) across the border into Laredo, where I can catch a taxi to the Laredo airport and pick up a rental car to continue my journey.  

Doable?

Miguel Zamora 333-808-8038 does this; did it with me and my two dogs.

Mexican nationals are being turned back on the bridge in to the US. This weekend an American with a Mexican wife had his wife denied entry.

The question is when do you intend to travel? ... as Sonia says unless your driver has a valid reason to enter the USA at this time they most likely would be denied entry.  Currently September 21 is the last day of the border closure ... Will it be extended again?   

You could walk across at bridge number 1 in Laredo, but the question is are you allowed to cross on foot with dogs?  At this time the wait to cross by foot is between 45 minutes from noon to 4pm  and at 6pm or so up to 2 hours.

12 hours ago, Sonia said:

Mexican nationals are being turned back on the bridge in to the US. This weekend an American with a Mexican wife had his wife denied entry.

Did she have papers to cross, as just being married is not required papers?

"Officially, technically, legally, however you want to phrase it, any Mexican citizen crossing the border into the United States needs a visa. Anyone from the U.S. who wants to spend more than 72 hours in Mexico or plans to travel beyond the 16-mile border zone, regardless of length of stay, needs to get a visa to do that, too."

On 8/31/2020 at 8:48 PM, kimanjome said:

Title says it all.

Doable?

Maybe I can take you.  When do you want to go?  email me at toyhauler4u@gmail.com to connect with me

12 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

Did she have papers to cross, as just being married is not required papers?

"Officially, technically, legally, however you want to phrase it, any Mexican citizen crossing the border into the United States needs a visa. Anyone from the U.S. who wants to spend more than 72 hours in Mexico or plans to travel beyond the 16-mile border zone, regardless of length of stay, needs to get a visa to do that, too."

She wasn't denied entry for lack of visa. She was denied entry because of the travel restrictions applying to non permanent residents entering for a non valid reason.

Could be solved with a doctor's appointment in a no border zone city ie: San Antonio.

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

She wasn't denied entry for lack of visa. She was denied entry because of the travel restrictions applying to non permanent residents entering for a non valid reason.

Could be solved with a doctor's appointment in a no border zone city ie: San Antonio.

Really had that paper work?I didn't read that in the post, so I guess you know the people?

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

No I don't know the couple Sonia referenced.

It just seems complete obvious that an American heading north with his Mexican wife, that she would have a tourist visa. Especially if they are clients of Sonia. 

You need more than a tourist visa. You need a valid reason under the regulations in force right now

Most, you ASSUME a lot. Sonia never said they were clients of hers, nor that they had ANY paper work.  I'd bet a taco that if they had marriage certificates and she had a visa and he had his pp, they both could ave passed. I think this is a "they said", without all the details. Of course, Sonia could have given all the details,;maybe she gave all she "heard". Let her fill in the blanks, then we may know 'the rest of the story". :D

• 2 weeks later...

Can't a Mexican national cross the border at Nuevo Laredo into Laredo, as long as they don't go any further than Laredo? I thought there was some kind of international 'trade zone" between the 2 countries. Also, I thought there were Mexicans who had decals/paperwork that allowed them to cross daily from one country to another.

Aren't there professional drivers who are allowed to do so? 

I am trying to think of a way to get 2 large cats, each weighing about 20 pounds and in big plastic carriers, across the border from Mexico to the USA.  If the Mexican car driver has to leave me at the bridge, that would work (wouldn't like it, but right now beggars can't be choosers), as long as I have some way to wheel the 2 cats, in their kennels, across the bridge. Seriously, I am thinking of buying a dolly/hand truck or a kid's red wagon.

Ideas, anyone? 

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier in the thread I  suggested...

You could walk across at bridge number 1 in Laredo, but the question is are you allowed to cross on foot with cats?   At this time the wait to cross by foot seems to be about 1 hour wait.        Did you check with  customs & border protection in Laredo as to the ability to walk into the USA on bridge 1 with your  pets?      (956) 523-7300

Did you check with the bus companies that cross into Laredo?    

You could also call a Laredo Taxi company and ask if they do pickups in Nuevo Laredo.  

4 minutes ago, telcoman said:

they are a lot stricter at the Canada/Us border, they wont let anyone cross period without an american passport, you can't even transit to mexico if you have a resident card

The rules say you can cross into the USA for a doctors appointment.  Why not make an appointment with a GP and get a flu shot then continue on?

1 hour ago, telcoman said:

heck try that in canada and you would get a $4000 fine, max is set at $750,000 but normally they have been fining $4000.

No one from the US would enter Canada for a Medical appointment unless they were Canadian citizens. Entering the US for a medical appointment in the US is a valid reason under the closure scenario.