Chapala.com Webboard

Reasons for Relocation . USA vis CAD

Having lived in both countries, and was a citizen of both at one time, definitely the climate and cost of living.  You can travel so much cheaper from Mexico to Europe from  either Canada or the USA.  I  once bought a ticket to NYC and paid 225 dollars bought in Mexico the person next to me bought it in the USA and paid 725. 
the culture here is amazing  so much to do living near the capital of Jalisco

cannot complain 

Someone told me several years ago that living here with a comfortable amount of retirement money was probably like living on a plantation prior to the civil war. I could see her point.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

I am a dual citizen of Canada and the USA and a Residente Permanente of Mexico. The main reason I now live in Mexico is because I like adventure.  Oh, and my current wife lives here.☺ Possibly a better reason.

I don't  know if I really planned any move ahead of time. Getting out of "Dodge" for me was getting onto the next adventure. 

39 minutes ago, Jim Bowie said:

Someone told me several years ago that living here with a comfortable amount of retirement money was probably like living on a plantation prior to the civil war. I could see her point.

Totally disgusting and I won't comment further to keep politics out of here except to suggest googling "cartoon of slavery on the plantation" and whilst you're doing that, enjoy a mint julip.😬😬🤮🤮🤢

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, liquipure said:

Do you live here? And if so, that's okay with you? I guess.

What did you expect me to do about her comment? Beat her up? Call the police? Turn her in to Immigration? She was entitled to her opinion, the last time I checked, just like you are. No one has to agree with what you think about anything, and there isn't anything you can do about it. That is the way it is in life, get used to it, or look for a safe place where you can cry about it.

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

What did you mean by your comment?

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

My opinion and only mine. We are the white folk on the plantation and the mexicans are our slaves doing everything for us.  Maybe we will buy them a new dress for a reward.   Now I don't see it that way at all but I could understand how some folks could see it that way and some folks do think they are better than others.   Maybe you should comment on what you think it says. Or does political correctness say we can't even discuss this.  Needless to say I am not very politically correct. Please note in his comment that he was quoting someone else before you hang him.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, lcscats said:

My opinion and only mine. We are the white folk on the plantation and the mexicans are our slaves doing everything for us.  Maybe we will buy them a new dress for a reward.   Now I don't see it that way at all but I could understand how some folks could see it that way and some folks do think they are better than others.   Maybe you should comment on what you think it says. Or does political correctness say we can't even discuss this.  Needless to say I am not very politically correct. Please note in his comment that he was quoting someone else before you hang him.

What part of his "I could see her point " escapes you? I am far from being PC but I am not a bigot nor racist and have told people to budger off and never darken my doorstep again who are.

• Thanks 1

We came primarily for the weather and walk everywhere life style.  We view our presence here as a win win given the obvious higher standard of living most everyone in this community enjoys.  To some degree that benefit is also a byproduct of the popularity of this area with middle and upper class Tapatios, whose presence also creates business opportunities and jobs for locals.  I don't think our Mexican workers or businesses view themselves as being on a plantation any more that we do.

I've visited enough places in Mexico that doesn't have the economic benefits of this area to see what things are like without them.  We are grateful to our Mexican hosts for the great life style we live here and I believe they are in turn grateful for the opportunity brought by expats and visitors alike.  Everyone should be working together to preserve the appeal of this place.  It is too bad that too often the Chapala government approves development that is clearly bad for that appeal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

One of my friends also mentioned The Proximity to an International Airport

That's a very good reason for moving to THIS part of MEX (I interpreted your original q. as MEX v. US or CDN).  

We seriously considered SMA before we visited here; there are pluses and minuses to both, but being nearer a major airport was a huge factor for us.  We also looked at Mazatlan but the summer humidity was a killer. 

If we were snowbirds and looking for best winter weather, we would consider a host of MXN beaches.  And if we were sunbirds looking for nice summers, we'd consider SMA.  But for year-round residents, the weather here reigns supreme.  

5 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Why do you want to know? Plan on being my "judge"? People are entitled to their own comments, get used to it or go cry about it.

1 minute ago, Jim Bowie said:

Why do you want to know? Plan on being my "judge"? People are entitled to their own comments, get used to it or go cry about it.

Your are indeed entitled to your comment as ridiculous and hurtful as it may be.  Others are entitled to question you for equating slavery to the local Mexican economy.   Your friend and you, since you 'see her point,' have no idea (or refuse to recognize) what an abomination slavery truly was.  Please share your tales of local Mexicans being shackled, beaten or sold by expats.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Your are indeed entitled to your comment as ridiculous and hurtful as it may be.  Others are entitled to question you for equating slavery to the local Mexican economy.   Your friend and you, since you 'see her point,' have no idea (or refuse to recognize) what an abomination slavery truly was.  Please share your tales of local Mexicans being shackled, beaten or sold by expats.  

You are pathetic, Judge and jury. Others are not entitled to squat. I am not on trial, except in your perverted mind. You dream. You imagine. You make up things. I did not equate anything. I reported someone (I don't even know who they were) giving a reason for moving here, I thought that was the purpose of this post. See, you don't even know what you are talking about here. I suggest you may need professional help. Get it together. I saw her point means I understood what she was saying, I did not need a translator. It does not show agreement, but if it did, it is still none of your business, as I am entitled to my own personal opinion. Tough, if you don't agree with it !!! The more you hound me here the more silly you are looking. I will express my own opinion and you can cry all you want about it, but I will never allow you to take away my right to express my opinion.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Boo-hoo.  We all know what you meant.  If you would read a book about slavery, you would change your cavalier attitude and see the point.  But if you're going to lie, deflect and deny your views, then there is no reason to try to have a reasonable discussion with you.  Adios. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Boo-hoo.  We all know what you meant.  If you would read a book about slavery, you would change your cavalier attitude and see the point.  But if you're going to lie, deflect and deny your views, then there is no reason to try to have a reasonable discussion with you.  Adios. 

Adios, watch that door !!! :D