Chapala.com Webboard

Monessen

I ate lunch at a new Indian Restaurant at # 226 Hidalgo near the Santander Bank. Simple and clean atmosphere--nothing fancy. The chef is really from India and both he and his Mexican wife are very friendly. The menu and more information can be found on their Facebook page. Magnolia's Restaurant. They served the Indian food at 2 pm. Open from 9 am to 7:30 pm. Soft drinks and alcohol was also available. I really enjoyed the spicy (not super spicy) food with an iced beverage on the side. 

I walked by during breakfast hours a couple days ago. The place smelled great and looked very clean. Seemed like standard breakfast fare (i.e., not Indian) at that time. I'd have given it a shot if I hadn't been on errands. Interesting location just short of where the Chapala traffic begins to get bad and the parking sparse.

I've been PMing with him on FB. They are closed Tuesdays and they have take out for the Indian food but no menu as he changes the dishes everyday. Some things he listed to me: butter chicken kadahi, biryana, palak paneer, chole masala,mutter paneer, chicken handi, manu and  closed his answer with "many more things".

• 2 weeks later...

I had this delivered to mi casa last night at 6:30 for 210p+20p delivery charge. It's the real deal and best I've had since leaving Canada. No other place here even comes close and I asked for the same heat that the chef from India would personally eat.  Yum!!!!!!!!!!! except the portions were too large so I am having the left overs again tonight.

magnolias menu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

They're a lovely young couple who are operating on a "shoestring".  Their menu is limited and changes by the day.  I ordered food for pick-up 30 minutes later and it was ready right on time.  By the time I had returned home to Ajijic it had cooled slightly but it  was very easy to reheat.   I doubt that there was any measurable loss of flavour as a result.  The food was excellent and, authentic.  We would love to see them make a go of it.  Give them an honest try!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

They're a lovely young couple who are operating on a "shoestring".  Their menu is limited and changes by the day.  I ordered food for pick-up 30 minutes later and it was ready right on time.  By the time I had returned home to Ajijic it had cooled slightly but it  was very easy to reheat.   I doubt that there was any measurable loss of flavour as a result.  The food was excellent and, authentic.  We would love to see them make a go of it.  Give them an honest try!

For sure! I have had it delivered  Friday 3 times in a row now and if I like what's available I will make it my regular Friday dinner.

We've had delivery last week and this week and everything we've ordered has been FANTASTIC!  Pleased to have them in Chapala and willing to deliver to Ajijic.  YUM!

Salud,

Val  :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
40 minutes ago, jrod said:

Magnolia is really good. And they deliver. Hits the mark on those cravings for Indian.

Food deliveries from Chapala to Ajijic take about 20 minutes (more in high season); foods in containers don't carry well for that long.  Really looking forward to the new Indian/Pakistani place in Ajijic.  It's Guadalajara location gets very good reviews.  

Just now, Bisbee Gal said:

Food deliveries from Chapala to Ajijic take about 20 minutes (more in high season); foods in containers don't carry well for that long.  Really looking forward to the new Indian/Pakistani place in Ajijic.  It's Guadalajara location get very good reviews.  

Actually, the delivery time was expected to be--and was--a good bit longer than 20 minutes, but I doubt I could pick food up and bring it home in any less time than it took them. I rewarmed gently, popped the naan (generous portion, but never enough for us) in the toaster oven in the foil for a minute or two and we were very happy with our meals. Clearly, not like table service in a restaurant, but we are thrilled for the option to satisfy our regular cravings. As difficult as the pandemic has been on numerous restaurants, some small businesses that never would have had a chance, like Magnolia, are adapting to our needs and bringing welcome additions to the dining scene. I'm also open to trying the upcoming new place as well.

2 minutes ago, jrod said:

Actually, the delivery time was expected to be--and was--a good bit longer than 20 minutes, but I doubt I could pick food up and bring it home in any less time than it took them.

From Buganvilias Plaza where the new Indian/Pakistani restaurant will be, is a 5 minute drive to my house. 

I hope BOTH restaurants prosper!  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Where do people park who wish to try Magnolia, I look every time I drive by and think I would like to visit..But parking nada

30 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Where do people park who wish to try Magnolia, I look every time I drive by and think I would like to visit..But parking nada

West of the old post office on Hidalgo.