Chapala.com Webboard

Opinion curiosity on Vets

Who do you use for a Vet?  How long have you used that Vet? Have you used more than one and have a preference one over another?  

I have used a few and trying to decide who I wish to use for a new arrival dog. 

Thanks in advance for input.

Close to home is NOT a good judgment factor. Who made you feel confident in their ability, professional approach, and knowledge?  Good bedside manner does not always equate to actual ability when it counts. Some are fine for everyday problems, but not so much for trickier situations. You should talk to people you know personally, and get some reactions from them rather than on this open forum where prejudices and other things could lead to poor information.  And any good vet will provide you with SOME means of emergency after-hours contact. If they will not, take them off your list!

Thank you, those who did respond.  I was just trying to get some opinions as stated.  Everyone has differing opinions and I wanted such. 

11 hours ago, Natasha said:

Close to home is NOT a good judgment factor. Who made you feel confident in their ability, professional approach, and knowledge?  Good bedside manner does not always equate to actual ability when it counts. Some are fine for everyday problems, but not so much for trickier situations. You should talk to people you know personally, and get some reactions from them rather than on this open forum where prejudices and other things could lead to poor information.  And any good vet will provide you with SOME means of emergency after-hours contact. If they will not, take them off your list!

I agree but I have already heard the personal friends opinions. I think everyone has prejudices and such that influence their opinions which is fine. Bedside manner means very little to me, Competence, ability to provide care at reasonable cost and obviously an ER contact. 

Money grabs are not what I want, I want good care.  Knowledge of large breed dogs. Thanks.  

We use Pepe in Riberas for the serious stough. We have a whack job perrita that has never left the house and needs frequent tooth work so he comes to the house,knocks her out and then takes her to his clinic. Also because of her, he comes to our house for all 3 dog's shots . When it's their time he does it most comfortably for them in our house and then takes the body away.