Chapala.com Webboard

WalMart Baggers

On 7/4/2020 at 9:24 AM, Upfront said:

i have yet to meet a bagger here who knows how. you dont put 8 bottles of pop in one bag. you distirubte the weights evenly. they dont understand this. i a still happy to tip them tho

That is my biggest complaint.  Some bags are too heavy for me to lift.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

I keep track of what and how they are putting stuff in the bag.  And ask them to double bag or move things if my bananas are being squished by a cantaloupe.

Since the baggers have been pushed out by the "environmental police", you are on your own...in other words you are your bagger, so you can do it your way.

17 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

Since the baggers have been pushed out by the "environmental police", you are on your own...in other words you are your bagger, so you can do it your way.

Please tell us which stores no longer have baggers because of the “environmental police.” The only stores I shop at that don’t have baggers are ones that never did have baggers because the cashiers also bag. This is true whether I bring my own bag(s) or not. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Xena said:

Please tell us which stores no longer have baggers because of the “environmental police.” The only stores I shop at that don’t have baggers are ones that never did have baggers because the cashiers also bag. This is true whether I bring my own bag(s) or not. 

Like thingie.

• Thanks 1

As I said before, pre virus, and post anti plastic bags, the baggers were leaving because many people were just  themselves loading the carts or their own bags (and the checkers were helping)...thus no or minimal tips. If you believe this or not, the fact is, that the banning of plastic bags is insane when the amount of plastic leaving Walmart (and other markets) in the form of packaging and bottling is HUGE compared to that, and IN MY OPINION was contributing to some wonderful folks losing what little income they were deriving there. I know that there will be many shouts of "This has to happen because it is a start". As a longtime businessman I always consider COST vs BENEFIT, something that is sorely missing in all the "social justice and environmentalist warrior" babble that is going on nowadays.    

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

gringohombre we are just catching up with the US and Canada where they banned plastic bags several years ago. Apparently the amount of plastic used up north has dropped by a large %. Sadly, I do not remember what the percentages were/are.

These days the stores up north are using paper bags which are recyclable. In Seattle, should you not bring you paper bag back to the grocery store, you are usually charged a whole 25 cents for a new one.  And evil thought :)  I wonder what would happen if I brought back an old plastic bag to use, when filling it with groceries at the checkout line at the local grocery stores in Seattle where I am at the moment. (Trouble is the only plastic bags I have are in Ajijic)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, johanson said:

gringohombre we are just catching up with the US and Canada where they banned plastic bags several years ago. Apparently the amount of plastic used up north has dropped by a large %. Sadly, I do not remember what the percentages were/are.

8 states (out of 50) have banned single use plastic bags in the US. Don't get me started on the insanity of what is going on regarding the plastic recycling fiasco here. When I came here 12 years ago and for years after, I was saving all my plastic and taking it to a guy just up the street who had a small recycling BUSINESS. He paid me a few pesos, I was helping the ecology and he had a nice little BUSINESS. Then the GOVERNMENT got involved, and he was OUT OF BUSINESS (as are all the other small PRIVATE recycling BUSINESSES). The GOVERNMENT enticed Gringos (and others) to "volunteer" with the project to pay for and put out special barrels (and donated $$$) and then, like most "do good" government schemes it all fell flat. So now everybody just puts it out with all the other trash and it gets to go to the same landfill. They have some sort of "facility" out on the west side, and of course do not pay for plastic, although this IS a BUSINESS, as plastic is recycled into beautiful, colorful hand bags and other products that people PAY for. Where is that money going? can you say "CORRUPTION". I now have a small extra room in my house here in SAT with a HUGE amount of clean plastic (about 5 years worth) that I am surely not going to take (and spend my time and gas) to the GOVERNMENT "facility" to help line some politicians pocket. I am now willing to GIVE it to anybody who wants it for anything OTHER THAN taking it to the GOVERNMENT "facility". PM me!!!  

• Sad 1

gringohombre, why don't you go visit Mr. Google. He will update what you are posting. Here is a short quote on the subject:

"More than 300 municipalities across the United States now ban or charge fees for single-use plastic bags. California, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and American Samoa have banned them, as have 55 countries. Thirty-one more have imposed a fee."

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, johanson said:

gringohombre, why don't you go visit Mr. Google. He will update what you are posting. Here is a short quote on the subject:

"More than 300 municipalities across the United States now ban or charge fees for single-use plastic bags. California, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and American Samoa have banned them, as have 55 countries. Thirty-one more have imposed a fee."

Direct from Mr. Google:

People also ask

What US states have banned plastic bags?

Eight states—California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Maine, New York, Oregon and Vermont—have banned single-use plastic bags. In August 2014, California became the first state to enact legislation imposing a statewide ban on single-use plastic bags at large retail stores.Jan 24, 2020

I said (check my post):
8 states (out of 50) have banned single use plastic bags in the US.
So what is your problem???? I am in fact very good at research, so i suggest that you do yours before criticizing others. 
  • Sad 1

I am so sad to have to tell you this greengo, but the US is planning the following. Just check it out with your friend and mine, Mr. Google.  Oh and Mexico will also slowly be doing this.

Phase-out of lightweight plastic bags in the United States

Oh and there are other posts found on Google that there are 10 states. But the number of states at the moment is not important. It is what is happening in the US what is imprtant. We are phasing out  ………………………………………………….

My quote "8 states (out of 50) have banned single use plastic bags in the US". was direct from where you asked me to check (Master Google). I am not disputing the phase-out of light plastic bags in the US, as I could care less about this and all the other nonsense and craziness going on up there...just read the headlines!!! I care about what is going on here and improving THIS environment, and it certainly does not start with the GOVERNMENT. Private enterprise is always the better answer. The Wright Brothers, Henry Ford, Bill Gates and all the other great businessmen, entrepreneurs and thinkers did not work for the government. Get them out of our lives and those small recycling operations will start popping up again. Now that is a start!!! 

3 hours ago, gringohombre said:

As I said before, pre virus, and post anti plastic bags, the baggers were leaving because many people were just  themselves loading the carts or their own bags (and the checkers were helping)...thus no or minimal tips. If you believe this or not, the fact is, that the banning of plastic bags is insane when the amount of plastic leaving Walmart (and other markets) in the form of packaging and bottling is HUGE compared to that, and IN MY OPINION was contributing to some wonderful folks losing what little income they were deriving there. I know that there will be many shouts of "This has to happen because it is a start". As a longtime businessman I always consider COST vs BENEFIT, something that is sorely missing in all the "social justice and environmentalist warrior" babble that is going on nowadays.    

So, you can not name even one store where the environmental police have forced baggers out of work. Instead of answering a question about one of your fact-free rants, you respond with another one. I suppose you can not name the stores where pre-virus baggers were leaving because we were all loading up our own carts with checkers helping. In what stores did this occur? 

4 minutes ago, Upfront said:

and yet you brought it up. i cant even.

I do not even know why I bother. I brought it up since another person here (name beginning with a J) said, "gringohombre we are just catching up with the US and Canada where they banned plastic bags several years ago". and I responded by correcting him direct from Sn. Google: "8 states (out of 50) have banned single use plastic bags in the US". Jeeeze.

2 minutes ago, Xena said:

So, you can not name even one store where the environmental police have forced baggers out of work. Instead of answering a question about one of your fact-free rants, you respond with another one. I suppose you can not name the stores where pre-virus baggers were leaving because we were all loading up our own carts with checkers helping. In what stores did this occur? 

This thread is about Walmart baggers, and as I have said 3 times now, I saw it with my own eyes THERE...many times. You are entitled to your own opinions, but facts are facts!!!

4 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

This thread is about Walmart baggers, and as I have said 3 times now, I saw it with my own eyes THERE...many times. You are entitled to your own opinions, but facts are facts!!!

So, at Walmart you saw baggers quitting their jobs because of environmental laws against reusable plastic bags and you saw this many times? Sorry GH, but this still is not “a fact.” I can say I saw monkeys riding goats stocking shelves in Walmart. I could say I saw it with my own eyes many times. Still, even if I add,  “Facts are facts” it would not mean that Walmart has goat-riding monkeys stocking shelves.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Xena said:

So, at Walmart you saw baggers quitting their jobs because of environmental laws against reusable plastic bags and you saw this many times? Sorry GH, but this still is not “a fact.” I can say I saw monkeys riding goats stocking shelves in Walmart. I could say I saw it with my own eyes many times. Still, even if I add,  “Facts are facts” it would not mean that Walmart has goat-riding monkeys stocking shelves.  

Pleeeze!!! This is so stupid, but somewhat entertaining. No, I did not see baggers quitting...just less and less of them with checkers having to help put the groceries, in most cases, into the carts and also the cloth bags that some customers provided. No, I saw no monkeys or goats...just less and less baggers...WITH MY OWN EYES!!! Am I being clear enough??? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, gringohombre said:

Pleeeze!!! This is so stupid, but somewhat entertaining. No, I did not see baggers quitting...just less and less of them with checkers having to help put the groceries, in most cases, into the carts and also the cloth bags that some customers provided. No, I saw no monkeys or goats...just less and less baggers...WITH MY OWN EYES!!! Am I being clear enough??? 

What you just said here is not what you were saying. Go back and reread your posts in this thread. Had you said further back what you just said here we would not be having this discussion. Now that I know you really have no idea what you are saying there is no point in these discussions. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Xena said:

What you just said here is not what you were saying. Go back and reread your posts in this thread. Had you said further back what you just said here we would not be having this discussion. Now that I know you really have no idea what you are saying there is no point in these discussions. 

I'm done with this...Adios!!!!

• Thanks 1