Chapala.com Webboard

WalMart Baggers

Wish they would bring the baggers back.  After bagging my own groceries I have much more appreciation for their skill in bagging groceries , it is an art!  Plus the lines would move much faster.  When they return, hopefully soon, my tip will be larger.  I am sure they want to be back at work

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• moderator5 changed the title to WalMart Baggers

This is because of the stupidity of the "do good" crowd! Get rid of ALL plastic...first the plastic bags that we all depended upon at the check-out! This is where those wonderful "older" ladies (and a few men) made a few pesos by getting your tips for this basic service. Now they have banned the bags so you are on your own and those poor, hard working folks are left to fend for themselves in other ways. In the meantime there are PLENTY of plastic bags on the shelves, PLENTY of plastic bottles of milk, soda and other packaging throughout the store!!! The plastic at the checkout stands account for a MINUSCULE % of the total plastic going out of Walmart. This is SICK and just the tip of the iceberg of the INSANITY of the "Social Justice" and "Environmental Wackos" who are very quickly taking over our hard won and precious Democracy. Just my opinion.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

They did not get rid of the baggers because of no plastic bag they were bagging when we brought our bags.  They got rid of them be a use of Covid.   But I would like to see them brought back.  They need the work and our tips and I liked having them.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

They did not get rid of the baggers because of no plastic bag they were bagging when we brought our bags.  They got rid of them be a use of Covid.   But I would like to see them brought back.  They need the work and our tips and I liked having them.

You want to see them back at work even though they are high risk for COVID? Did you ever consider that perhaps they don't want to be out among crowds of people during a pandemic? maybe their health and staying alive is more important to them than tips?

• Like 1

I have a medium sized cardboard box in the trunk of my car. I put everything into the shopping cart, except things that need to be bagged such as individual mushrooms or grapes. When I get to the car, I transfer them choose a cardboard box and that gets carried into the house, emptied and then return to the trunk.

10 hours ago, gringohombre said:

This is because of the stupidity of the "do good" crowd! Get rid of ALL plastic...first the plastic bags that we all depended upon at the check-out! This is where those wonderful "older" ladies (and a few men) made a few pesos by getting your tips for this basic service. Now they have banned the bags so you are on your own and those poor, hard working folks are left to fend for themselves in other ways. In the meantime there are PLENTY of plastic bags on the shelves, PLENTY of plastic bottles of milk, soda and other packaging throughout the store!!! The plastic at the checkout stands account for a MINUSCULE % of the total plastic going out of Walmart. This is SICK and just the tip of the iceberg of the INSANITY of the "Social Justice" and "Environmental Wackos" who are very quickly taking over our hard won and precious Democracy. Just my opinion.   

As Kyle pointed out, the baggers are gone because of Covid.  However although this is somewhat of rant, a valid point is made here.  This tokenism of banning some plastic bags and straws misses the larger problem of just too damn much plastic packaging of every kind and the use of damaging and non biodegradable plastic for single uses such as takeaway food.  It is impossible now not to contribute to this deluge of plastic crap since virtually everything comes inside of it.  To focus on just several items while missing or ignoring the far larger problem that plastic packaging in general has become is magical thinking that does nothing for the environment.   On top of that a lot of this plastic packaging is user unfriendly, you literally have to fight your way into what you bought.  I'm damned tired of the plastic and this throw away society in general, we had quite a decent standard of living when I was young without almost any of it.  Both of us are very frustrated by it as we can't seem to make more than token reductions in the plastic garbage we are putting out every week.

Interesting article from 1984 about the growth of the grocery store paper to plastic bag conversion that began in 1979. This was the period where the "paper or plastic" question was prevalent. Of course it was about short term cost savings the stores could realize.

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/11/17/style/battle-of-the-grocery-bags-plastic-versus-paper.html

The paper bag had a base and 4 walls allowing the baggers to flick cans using one hand and catch them in the bottom of the bag with the other. On top went lighter items followed by items that would crush. Can't really do that with plastic even if the bagger has good intentions.  I suspect that bagging training isn't as rigorous as it was in the mid-60's when I had that job making close to nothing and giving back 10% of my meager monthly pay to union dues.

There is an interesting documentary on youtube about a grocery store in London that experimenting with a zero plastic policy for all their products.  When plastic is required they use only natural plant fibre packaging that slightly resembles plastic but is 100% biodegradable.  Sure, prices are a little higher but it is a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

As Kyle pointed out, the baggers are gone because of Covid.  However although this is somewhat of rant, a valid point is made here.  This tokenism of banning some plastic bags and straws misses the larger problem of just too damn much plastic packaging of every kind and the use of damaging and non biodegradable plastic for single uses such as takeaway food.  It is impossible now not to contribute to this deluge of plastic crap since virtually everything comes inside of it.  To focus on just several items while missing or ignoring the far larger problem that plastic packaging in general has become is magical thinking that does nothing for the environment.   On top of that a lot of this plastic packaging is user unfriendly, you literally have to fight your way into what you bought.  I'm damned tired of the plastic and this throw away society in general, we had quite a decent standard of living when I was young without almost any of it.  Both of us are very frustrated by it as we can't seem to make more than token reductions in the plastic garbage we are putting out every week.

Way before Covid, the plastic bag ban was in effect and you either had to bring your own bag or load everything in the cart to your vehicle. This drastically cut into the "baggers" income since most people were either helping load their own bag or the cart, so the tips were either eliminated or reduced.  I saw a drastic reduction of the number of  "baggers" and then as you say, now a complete elimination of them. Throwing the "baggers" under the bus now is another question, but this was happening before the virus situation because of the plastic bag ban which is insanity personified as outlined in my post above on this thread.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

What you are saying is 100% 100-percent right on.

It's easy to point out a problem however I believe that people who Point them out should at least have some solution in mind and share that.

Of course the easiest way would be to go back to paper bags, but then it would be a great Hue and cry how about the number trees that are being cut down.

in my opinion another no-win situation.

11 hours ago, Upfront said:

i have yet to meet a bagger here who knows how. you dont put 8 bottles of pop in one bag. you distirubte the weights evenly. they dont understand this. i a still happy to tip them tho

I agree. They don't bag my groceries here the way I'd like them to at all. They'll put the paper towels and a couple of virtually weightless things in one bag, and load up another with all the heavy stuff. Plus I like all the stuff that needs to be kept cold in one bag, so I can transfer it to my cooler bag with ice in it when I get it out to the car. I usually bag myself, but I still tip them.

And rather than point out the hypocrisy of banning plastic grocery bags when so much else comes overpackaged, talk with your wallet. Don't buy things which are overpackaged. Send the companies an email voicing your objections. Companies change the way they do things when they see that it's affecting their profits. Nothing that's entrenched changes all at once. It may not seem like it, but if everyone does their part, which is all you really have control over, it does make a difference.

1 hour ago, El Toro Furioso said:

Is that $100 pesos tip a typo?

No, it's not a typo. There is a box for them on the service counter. Soriana laid them off because  at there age they are in jeopardy doing bagging so kudos to Soriana for coming up with the idea. We give a normal tip to the teens that do the bagging now.

18 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

No, it's not a typo. There is a box for them on the service counter. Soriana laid them off because  at there age they are in jeopardy doing bagging so kudos to Soriana for coming up with the idea. We give a normal tip to the teens that do the bagging now.

Just hope the baggers get the money. 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Mainecoons, I couldn't agree with you more about the tidal wave of plastic waste that is overwhelming our world. There are rafts of plastic junk floating in the Pacific that are bigger than whole states in the US. Various kinds of plastic are ingested by wildlife, which ends up killing them. This mindless, wasteful destruction has got to come to an end. I know that banning plastic bags and a handful of other items won't solve this, but we've got to start somewhere. 

• Like 3

Up north in BC and I believe the rest of Canada, plastic is being replaced by recyclable  products. The same in much if not all of the US, And it would appear also beginning in all of Mexico.