Chapala.com Webboard

Used car site

What is the best used car site in the Guadalajara area. I have a friend whon is moving to the Lake Chapala area and I know there is a website that lists different cars for sale because I used it when determining how much to ask for my car..Any help would be appreciated.

40 minutes ago, elevator said:

I bought my used Nissan Rogue at the Alamo. It is a large area that has hundreds of cars to view and you can bargain over the price.

You're lucky if you didn't get scammed there.  Friend of mine bought a car with Jalisco plates and supposedly valid docs.  Jalisco renewed the plates but when he went to sell it a couple years later, it was found to be an illegal chocalate and he was stuck good.

• Like 1

I bought my current car through Soloautos and am very happy with it and the transaction. I looked at many before I thought I found one I thought was OK. Three times I asked different owners to bring their car to my mechanic and three times they said no The fourth one was approved and I bought it. I did check the vin or licence plate at the government site.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

And very expensive..

I bought my used Mexican car there and was very satisfied. Often, in Mexico, you do get what you pay for. Taking a chance on some of the other options may end up with big problems down the line. S&S checks everything very carefully and you can count on them. They will also take you over to Guadalajara to look for a car, no charge, and keep looking until you find what you want. They make sure all paperwork is in order and the car is properly registered and plated before they deliver it to their lot in Riberas for you to pick up. They also offer the service to re-register your car when needed. Saves a lot of standing in lines and going to different offices and I found it worth every penny of their fee.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cookj5 said:

I bought my used Mexican car there and was very satisfied. Often, in Mexico, you do get what you pay for. Taking a chance on some of the other options may end up with big problems down the line. S&S checks everything very carefully and you can count on them. They will also take you over to Guadalajara to look for a car, no charge, and keep looking until you find what you want. They make sure all paperwork is in order and the car is properly registered and plated before they deliver it to their lot in Riberas for you to pick up. They also offer the service to re-register your car when needed. Saves a lot of standing in lines and going to different offices and I found it worth every penny of their fee.

So they do all this free of charge. ?

As I said “Very Expensive”.
 I prefer to do as I did last January spend 10 mins of my own time and get my own sticker...  I do understand many people are intimidated trying to deal with Mexican business’s so they pay someone like S&S to do it for them..Myself I prefer to do things myself..

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

They don't charge when you buy a new car. They get paid by the dealership. I don't know their used car policy. But you get what you pay for. Just saying.

On 6/29/2020 at 7:29 PM, judybrick said:

What is the best used car site in the Guadalajara area. I have a friend whon is moving to the Lake Chapala area and I know there is a website that lists different cars for sale because I used it when determining how much to ask for my car..Any help would be appreciated.

Since your friends seem to be new to Mexico, and yes,   you have to be REALLY careful here with ANY used vehicles, another option is to visit some of the new car dealerships in Guad.  All have "semi-nuevos" (sort of new) of several makes and models and do not offer really old cars.  Advantage is the title has been vetted, the car has been gone over by the dealership mechanics, and  I THINK they offer a few months of warranty.  They will also help with the ownership transfer.

I've bought and sold 4 vehicles via soloautos over the years, but (1) am fluent in Spanish, and (2) even then, we got scammed once and lost money on selling the pick-up truck as a result. Overall I still have a lot of confidence in the site, BUT it's the other technical things that can trip you up.

I've also tried used car lots, but think the NEW car dealerships are a little more reliable IMO.  And as for El Alamo.... NOT for the inexperienced altho' can be an interesting and eye-opening experience!!!

19 hours ago, gogirl said:

S&S sells used cars. Very reliable. They're in Riberas not Guadalajara. Highly recommend.

i used all three Mexican used car websites,  went to see by owners  2 out of three mileage seemed off

3 price to to high by owner,  was sent post by three people who had bought stolen cars on these web sites

went to dealers to check used cars,  cars were priced 50,000 pesos over used car website price, they were not flexible, did, car not treat us with respect we deserved. car also looked like mileage incorrect at dealer.

called s&S auto to look, settled on kia, they set up appointment to kia in guadalajara, to see new and used niros hybrid, did test drive did not like car.

They had a nice 2016 sorento used ex v6 white, liked it, good price on it. fair mileage, that was real.     the kia  dealer treated us like royalty, since we were referred by S&S auto, said they would put new tires on car. for free. three days later brought used car to S&S auto for test drive,

we wanted it , they gave an extra 2 years on the warranty since we were with S&S auto 3 years warranty, updating all software in car, checking all re calls were done 

wow! smart move going through S&S auto,

But I first had to learn and do it my own way to realize that i was so vulnerable buying car by yourself can be

car now be detailed and fully updated, best of all when car needs work S&S wil drive into to the dealer for us for  fee

picking up car next week.

Karen owner of S&S auto test drove car with me and my wife, made list of items needed fixed that were under warranty.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When you are on sites like "Soloautos" your search can be narrowed by price, location, transmission type, car type or make, and then you can specify dealer instead of individual.  Even the small dealers will give you some kind of warranty and the cars less than five years old usually don't need much anyway.  Mexicans don't normally drive as much as us NoBers are used to driving so mileage is almost always lower for the year model.  They all do the paperwork and some charge a little to do that service but you can discover any unpaid tickets for instance.  They will dicker a little on price and will fix small things and detail the car for you.

I found S&S less than helpful in looking for a used car but anxious to sell me a new one...which I didn't want.  If you go to a new car dealer that has used inventory there is probably somebody there who speaks English.  Their prices will probably be a little higher than a place that sells only used vehicles.  I'd wait a while before venturing into Guad if you have to do any face to face stuff.  Very few folks wearing masks except in retail stores.  Not even close to flattening the curve.

Alan

My office can verify legal car documents but also you can call the dealer and with the VIN they can check service records and they do record mileage which helps you tell if the rolled back the odometer 

• Like 1

One can get scammed anywhere. I went to the Alamo with a guy who bought several vehicles there. We took the car before we bought it to a good mechanic and he checked it out. I paid 8700 dollars fora 2013 Nissan Rogue with 37, 000 kl. I've had it for a year and a half with zero problems.

If you are thinking about buying a vehicle the Alamo is an interesting day out, if you go on a Saturday or a Sunday there are hundreds of vehicles there for sale in every price range,  I would be very careful about about buying from there, but it does give you an idea of the prices. 
Even if you buy from a reputable dealer it is no guarantee that the vehicle hasn’t been stolen, the paper work moves so slowly that the vehicle can be stolen and resold before the paper work gets circulated. This happened to friend’s of mine.