Chapala.com Webboard

ASUS Dual Band router for ILox. Recommendations?

I have had ILox for some time now and bought the TV streaming app from the late Derek. It worked quite well but now has deteriorated to buffering and shutting down so that it is unwatchable. I am getting a constant 90 download and also have an Ethernet cable connection. Have tried all the tricks like shutting off the ILox router and updating the app settings. Someone here mentioned this particular router from Amazon Mexico. Looked it up but there are many versions of it. First, is this a good choice for my particular problem and second, what would be the model recommendation? I am still paying a small monthly fee for the app, and also have the free USA TV streaming that he installed on the Fire-stick and have the same problem with both although Netflix is  fine. Any help would be appreciated. Gracias

• Like 1

Unfortunately the problem is in the greater Internet beyond Ilox and/or Telmex.  The pandemic has caused a big traffic increase on the internet backbone, the free and a lot of the paid streamers don't service through content delivery networks like Netflix and Google, they depend upon the shared  bandwidth in the backbone, which isn't optimized for streaming. .  So those services choke.    Ilox has a strong backbone up through McAllen to Dallas.  I've had succes with VPN connections and streaming from there.  I've heard of a couple of new streaming services using CDN's that don't have the problem..Does cost a bit more since they have to pay for bandwidth to Ilox or Telmex boundary. 

If your connection is giving you 80 to fast.com there are probably no problems with your router.  But its good advice to make sure your apps are updated, good cables, you're not double natting, all of that. 

1 hour ago, tkessler said:

Unfortunately the problem is in the greater Internet beyond Ilox and/or Telmex.  The pandemic has caused a big traffic increase on the internet backbone, the free and a lot of the paid streamers don't service through content delivery networks like Netflix and Google, they depend upon the shared  bandwidth in the backbone, which isn't optimized for streaming. .  So those services choke.    Ilox has a strong backbone up through McAllen to Dallas.  I've had succes with VPN connections and streaming from there.  I've heard of a couple of new streaming services using CDN's that don't have the problem..Does cost a bit more since they have to pay for bandwidth to Ilox or Telmex boundary. 

If your connection is giving you 80 to fast.com there are probably no problems with your router.  But its good advice to make sure your apps are updated, good cables, you're not double natting, all of that. 

Hola (I think Tom)...You are a beam of light regarding ILox. I am a businessman who befitted greatly with my installation. I am old fashioned guy with a desktop tower and it works great for me and my online business. As far as my TV is concerned I researched and tried a few streaming services here before i settled with the Fire-stick app from Derek (a great Brit...RIP), I am sure you are right in your analysis. My modem is located about 20' from my TV (my office is in the next room) and all was good until about a week ago. I was so happy to be able to get away from my $80 a month Dish TV bill for very limited channels (Pete, make me an offer for my 12' and 4' dishes on the top of my house). I am far from being a tech person, so I would appreciate how I can get this app service that I am paying about US$12 monthly for back to what it was. My knowledge of VPN and CDN's is almost nil. Muchas Gracias.  

Hey, Gringo Hombre, when I first bought my house in 1997 there was an old 18 foot C-band satellite dish on the roof. I've down sized to a 4, 6, and 8 foot Ku band satellite dishes and an old rotator 10 foot C/KU band dish.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Hey, Gringo Hombre, when I first bought my house in 1997 there was an old 18 foot C-band satellite dish on the roof. I've down sized to a 4, 6, and 8 foot Ku band satellite dishes and an old rotator 10 foot C/KU band dish.

Don't you want to make a bid on my 12' and 4' Dish satellite dishes sitting on top of my house now? You might be surprised at what I will take. Besides the neghbores will be happy to get rid of these eyesores. Better hurry since I am sure there will be a lot of frantic bidding going on here!!!

Gringohombre; I have both Telmex and Ilox and use an Asus RT-AC86U router to distribute the internet to all my devices; I run StrongVPN on the router and stream IPTV on a Firestick 4K; no buffering problems for the IPTV service I am using at HDTV quality. 

I have tested many combinations of different VPNs with IPTV providers and Firesticks and found that most combinations are not reliable with Ilox; I believe Ilox is throttling IPTV streaming and a VPN is necessary to hide streaming at least for HDTV. In my opinion the Firesticks dont have enough computing power to run the VPN properly for decoding IPTV streaming in high definition format; you need to run the VPN on a router.

On a good day I get better than 20 mbps download with Telmex and don't need a VPN to hide the IPTV streaming of HDTV.

As Tom has stated the router won't help with your buffering. It only helps if you are distributing Ethernet connections to more devices. Testing your cables is a good idea but Tom is likely correct about the internet in general. I have terrible buffering on a free internet TV service but no buffering using kodi and real debrid [you'll need a learning curve for these; kodi is free and real debrid is 9 euros per 90 days] . I get no buffering using no VPN but sometimes it is wise to use VPN so I connect to time zones where it is least likely a lot of people are watching TV and have no buffering problems.

15 hours ago, SoxFan said:

Could be your apps need updating. I have fixed quite a few sticks that Derek sold. My advice is look up the apps on youtube. Many tutorials, it's not hard and no cost to you.

SoxFan, can you explain what you mean by fixing the sticks? I also have one purchased from Derek. Thanks. 

Thank you for the offer, gringohombre.  There used to be a service that you could pay to remove those satellite dishes. I bet it is still around.

Today, I am only using a 4 footer and my 2.4 meter or 8 footer and no, I do not have Dish network, it doesn't provide me my Seattle home town stations

I have a friend quite close to me also with the Derek app that is having the same problem. We are both getting constant great speed into the house (80 - 90 download) but the speed from the modem to the TV sucks (mine at about 0.4). I got hold of a ILox person on the tech line and he said that "they are checking the speeds in our area". I kept telling him that the speed into my house is fine, it is the speed from the modem to the TV was the problem. He kept repeating the above phrase and said it will be taken care of today or tomorrow. I kept insisting that I needed a tech person to come to check or replace the modem and he kept repeating the same thing. I finally gave up and hung up. We will see what happens in the next few days. By the way the neighbor that I mentioned above did invest in the ASUS router but it did not help. 

BINGO!!! All back to normal now. Just checked the speed on Derek's app and now over 9 download, when I was getting 0.4 (still at about 90 into my computer). Like the ILox tech on the phone said  "they are checking the speeds in our area"...beats me how they fixed it from outside, so I guess that the modem is OK. Gracias ILox, you are the best.

What you need is a dual band access point not a router.  If you buy a router to get better WIFI than the ILOX modems look in the software to turn the router off and that creates an access point.  Not doing this creates more overhead and can possibly slow down things.  When you use an access point there is no performance hit. Also turn off the WIFI on the ILOX modem. On the four port unit it is a button on the right side. WIFI light will go out on front of unit.  This cuts down on the number of WIFI channels in use. Also if you live in a WIFI crowded area which are most places here switch to the 5.0 band from the 2.4.  With ILOX 300 I only get 80 on the 2.4 band while I get over 150 on the 5.0 band. If you don't believe in overcrowded WIFI well for example I can see 24 different modems from my house. None other than my unit are using the 5.0 band.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...