Chapala.com Webboard

Auto Import from US

Mitch210

Does it make sense to import my Mexican manufactured VW Convertible Beetle from the US to Mexico if I'm moving to Mexico.  It's in excellent condition...48k original miles, Turbo 1.8L, 20 Valves...so I dont want to sell it here unless the costs are prohibited to import and license. Thanks in advance for your advice...Mitch

The process involves exporting it from the US. Having it certified to meed Mexico standards. Importing it to Mexico. Licensing it in the  state you will reside in.

For eligibility (depends on model year) and current  current costs you will need to contact a licensed import broker for an estimate. But you can expect to spent well over $2,000US for the export-import process . When you arrive at the state where you want to register it expect between $300-$500US to register it the first time. 

If you are moving to Mexico you can live with a residente temporal for 4 years and use the vehicle on a temporary import permit for that time.  

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

SNIP.....

If you are moving to Mexico you can live with a Residente Temporal for 4 years and use the vehicle on a temporary import permit (TIP) for that time.  

...and to finish that last statement:  After the four years one must either leave Mexico* or apply/get a Residente Permanente visa within Mexico. At that point the foreign plated VW would have to be removed from Mexico as a Permanente cannot own/drive a foreign plated vehicle.

* One other option to 'going Permanente' after the 4 years is to leave Mexico (with that VW), apply again for a new Temporal at any Mexican Consulate in the US (at the then current financial requirements) and bring the VW back into Mexico 'attached' to your new Temporal, good for up to another 4 years. One 'should' keep the foreign plates 'current', which might be hard to do if it wasn't for an easy 'out' by licensing the vehicle in a US state (South Dakota for example) that will let one renew by mail annually. MANY people do this and it is perfectly legal. 

There is a small annual fee for the TIP.... $50?.... and one must also give a refundable deposit of $400 once. 

13 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

The OP said it's Mexican manufactured Beetle so why would he have to pay any import fees and if it was originally exported to the US from Mexico it would already be way beyond Mexican standards?

Because the vehicle was sold in the USA using a MSO to title the vehicle. The title is from some state in the USA. There is no factura from Mexico. As far as Mexico knows the vehicle does not exist. 

Yes it will meet Mexico standards but it needs to be verified.

The process is: you sell your vehicle (on paper) to the licensed importer. He exports it from the USA. He gets an inspection. He drives the vehicle into Mexico and takes it to Aduana for the import process and pays the fees necessary. Then he sells (on paper) the vehicle to you and gives you a factura. Now the vehicle has been sold to you in Mexico. You then get a one trip permit giving you the right to drive the car to where you want to register it in Mexico.

In Mexico the state will inspect the vehicle to verify all numbers match. You will then pay a state tax and first years registration.

The importation can not be done by an individual. Only a licensed agent can complete the process.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, happyjillin said:

Wouldn't the vin #  be sufficient and on file in Mexico?

No. First in Mexico you need a factura. If no factura was ever issued a vin would be useless.

Doubtful the vin would even be registered anywhere in Mexico. The vehicle was built for export. 

The process I described is the same if the vehicle was built in USA, Canada, or Mexico.  

The reverse would be true for a vehicle manufactured in the USA and sold new in Mexico. You would need to import it to the USA following all the procedures necessary to meet US emission & safety standards. 

21 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

The process involves exporting it from the US. Having it certified to meed Mexico standards. Importing it to Mexico. Licensing it in the  state you will reside in.

For eligibility (depends on model year) and current  current costs you will need to contact a licensed import broker for an estimate. But you can expect to spent well over $2,000US for the export-import process . When you arrive at the state where you want to register it expect between $300-$500US to register it the first time. 

If you are moving to Mexico you can live with a residente temporal for 4 years and use the vehicle on a temporary import permit for that time.  

Don't they only allow certain years?  Fir example, can one import a 2015 U.S. made car?

Correct. That is why I told the OP to contact a licensed importer for the current year models allowed and estimated costs. I think 2011-2012 are eligible right now. 

Here are 3 different licensed importers in Laredo  

Quality Imports 956 727-7880       Grupo Aduanal Del Norte 956-645-8073   Hermanos Cuevas 956-508-8100

Client just pad $3500 US to nationalize a 2011 Ford Explorer. On my web site under vehicles is some info re nationalizing and the web site of one of the few honest brokers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

think 2011-2012 are eligible right now.     That is incorrect 

.So much of what read on these web boards is wrong, to get the correct information contact the relevant government department, 

My neighbor very recently imported a 2015 Jeep..  It was expensive, but it was a fully  loaded Jeep.

I said  "I think"  because the information I posted was from 2 licensed importer's websites.  I did not say it was a fact.  That is why I advised the OP to call a licensed importer, and provided numbers for 3 companies in Laredo. Things can change by the minute.  When I imported my vehicle two days later they halted importations, and many of the importers were able to get amparos. Each amparo was different and some had different years of manufacturer. 

A few years ago there were a few people here in Chapala that received their pedimentos  without ever having to go to the border. One couple went to register their car in Tonala.  They were arrested for having a false pedimento and spent a few hours in the police station before an attorney was able to get them released.. It took them more than 3 months to get their car back and they had only a few days to take the car out of Mexico

There are vehicles here in Chapala with Mexico License plates. Those vehicles were never legally imported, and those driving them risk the possibility if they are in an accident of arrest, car confiscation, and a large fine.  These people were told their car is legal. Not to worry.  

So you friend might have "imported" a 2015 Jeep. Check to see if it has the blue hologram from Aduana on the windshield. If so they are ok  If not they are illegal.  

Here is the government website  https://tramitesmexicanos.net/requisitos-para-nacionalizar-un-carro/

It says: "In order to import a car, it is usually necessary that it be 8 to 9 years before the import of a light vehicle..",  so it seems that 2011 and 2012 are the allowed years. 

Our president has indicated he  wants to change the rules for individuals who wish to import a vehicle. The dealers association is against this. As far as I am aware nothing has changed as of this date. 

• Like 1

For a 2015 take the vehicle to Aduana and show them the documents to "nationalize" but have a taxi waiting. So go ahead and have your friend prove us wrong.

• Haha 2

Go with a broker. I had 2 different local people saying they can do it, they kept saying next week, next week, finally I asked for my paperwork and money back and drove to the border ourselves. Found a broker and several days later we were driving back and just had to get Jalisco plates.  Hindsight we would have sold the car and bought one here.