Chapala.com Webboard

Shutdowns prevented Millions of Infections

RickS

I think it was pretty obvious to most intelligent people that staying home and maintaining distancing in public, when there is a highly contagious deadly pandemic out there, was going to save a lot of lives. But I guess a lot of other people need to have studies to prove that to them. Which they probably still won't believe, because it doesn't fit their agenda.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 5:27 PM, mudgirl said:

I think it was pretty obvious to most intelligent people that staying home and maintaining distancing in public, when there is a highly contagious deadly pandemic out there, was going to save a lot of lives. But I guess a lot of other people need to have studies to prove that to them. Which they probably still won't believe, because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Excellent response, Mudgirl.  Once again you are a voice for common sense.  People who have their own agendas also tend to be intolerant of other views.

• Haha 1

And, of course those who will die because they cannot work to feed and take care of health needs of their families. I believe they are called poor people. We seem to have lots here in Mexico.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Hud said:

And, of course those who will die because they cannot work to feed and take care of health needs of their families. I believe they are called poor people. We seem to have lots here in Mexico.

If they die of coronavirus, who will work and feed their families?

If people want things to get back to normal, they have to stop pretending that things are normal.

Wear a mask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pure speculation and what was accomplished besides delaying the inevitable and inflicting massive economic damage on the most vulnerable people?

Case in point:  A young lady from a poor family we helped sponsor at Iteso law school graduated #1 in her class, had a job lined up and that job has now been canceled so she is scrambling to find work.

Another case in point:  Food lines all over the place with formerly employed people in them.

It is so very easy for retired people with a check coming in every month to advocate these shutdowns and be in denial about the collateral economic and health damage they have caused and, quite predictably, as soon as even a portion of it is lifted the virus just resumes its natural course.  The Mexican economy contracted 20 percent in ONE MONTH, April, and that represents a helluva lot of suffering.  Try not to forget that in your zeal to control that which you cannot control.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 4

No one is denying that there has been and will continue to be economic hardship cause by the decisions to address the pandemic with the shutdown of the economy. And you are right in saying that the lucky ones are those of us who no longer have to work to sustain our lives. BUT this is a pandemic! If 'we' just went along with life as usual with no precautions being taken, your young lady might be having an entirely different set of problems to worry about... assuming she and/or her family actually survived.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Upfront said:

no speculation at all

It's a study based on assumptions and conjecture as to the degree something of unknown total magnitude did not happen.  That is speculation, "the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence." 

An infection isn't real until it actually happens.  That is firm evidence.  There is no firm evidence that millions of infections have been prevented for good as the disease is still running its course all over the planet.  Since there is no way to know what percentage of the population will ultimately be infected there is no way to determine how many, if any, infections would be prevented until the disease has fully run its course.  

Prevention means not happening at all, not just delayed.  Delayed is not prevention.  Looking at the numbers piling upon as the quarantines are lifted or just break down I would suggest that delayed is all that has occurred.  The quarantines have done nothing to boost immunity and may have actually lowered immunity to other illnesses.  The virus is still here, we still do not have general immunity or a vaccine and as soon as people start interacting in a more normal manner, the infection rate starts to rise to natural levels.

There is no precedent for a planet wide quarantine lasting a year or more until a vaccine could be developed and applied widely.  It is pretty unrealistic to believe the lock down could have lasted much longer without mass rebellion or just general non compliance.  The passive resistance and ignoring of the "rules" is growing exponentially.  The news is full of reports on same.  Maybe a few police states could lock people down that long but for most of the world that is pretty unlikely.

You either chose to ignore the pandemic or you chose to personally quarantine and take extraordinary measures to limit your personal exposure.  With the latter you might be able to hold out long enough for a vaccine to be available.  Until that happens, or so many people get infected and recover there is herd immunity, the virus will be waiting for you if and whenever you end your quarantine.

I''ll speculate that if you intend to hold out until the end you're looking at about a year from now.

Those are your two choices.  Anyone who thinks there is a third option, government will protect me by effectively enforcing their rules, is living in a dream world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just realized that I have not had any KoolAide since I was an impressionable child. Anyone else?  I never even saw any of it available in Mexico, but it is obvious that it can be guzzled there without difficulty.  It can be hazardous to one's health, considering its contents. 

So, tell me, what is in Kool Aid? I bet a lot of sugar.  I remember the name, but I'm guessing because it has a lot of sugar, I chose not to have any. I was lucky. My parents taught me to hate sugar.         Don't bother to  tell me,

I just asked my friend, Mr. Google. He said that each cup of Kool-Aid includes 5 teaspoons of sugar and 5 artificial  dyes that could be bad for you.

No Kool-Aid for me. :) 

Pete  Drinking the Kool Aid is a reference to Jim Jones and Jonestown where all his followers drank a grape flavored drink that contained cyanide and died. Since then the expression is that people who "drink the Kool Aid" are stupid followers who will believe what they are told by someone who is not necessarily honest. Or are blind followers of an idea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2020 at 10:26 AM, RickS said:

assuming she and/or her family actually survived.

Stats are about 98%  positive that they will. If they take some precautions., even better.