Chapala.com Webboard

36 Activities ranked by experts for covid-19 safety level

This link is to a story that ran on Michigan Live. They got four experts on infectious disease to rank 36 different activities as to the level of safety from covid-19 and some things you might consider before engaging in them. The experts didn't always agree on their threat rankings, so the rankings were averaged and disagreements noted. I found it very useful, since most of the activities are similar to what expats might consider here at Lakeside.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/06/from-hair-salons-to-gyms-experts-rank-36-activities-by-coronavirus-risk-level.html?fbclid=IwAR05qyKn9vrwze-laHSHO1Nb93wHH1OanQUW2oZhDjXlnGh66dReIGCG5nM

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

From the WHO:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html?fbclid=IwAR1cCgxFwqOizlXJ8bLNn_LToyFT2UqMYYh8Zc_-huZKG85VONO2NnDA7mA

Coronavirus patients without symptoms aren’t driving the spread of the virus, World Health Organization officials said Monday, casting doubt on concerns by some researchers that the disease could be difficult to contain due to asymptomatic infections. 

Some people, particularly young and otherwise healthy individuals, who are infected by the coronavirus never develop symptoms or only develop mild symptoms. Others might not develop symptoms until days after they were actually infected.

Preliminary evidence from the earliest outbreaks indicated that the virus could spread from person-to-person contact, even if the carrier didn’t have symptoms. But WHO officials now say that while asymptomatic spread can occur, it is not the main way it’s being transmitted. 

“From the data we have, it still seems to be rare that an asymptomatic person actually transmits onward to a secondary individual,” Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove, head of WHO’s emerging diseases and zoonosis unit, said at a news briefing from the United Nations agency’s Geneva headquarters. “It’s very rare.”

Government responses should focus on detecting and isolating infected people with symptoms, and tracking anyone who might have come into contact with them, Van Kerkhove said. She acknowledged that some studies have indicated asymptomatic or presymptomatic spread in nursing homes and in household settings. 

More research and data are needed to “truly answer” the question of whether the coronavirus can spread widely through asymptomatic carriers, Van Kerkhove added.

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing,” she said. “They’re following asymptomatic cases. They’re following contacts. And they’re not finding secondary transmission onward. It’s very rare.”

If asymptomatic spread proves to not be a main driver of coronavirus transmission, the policy implications could be tremendous. A report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published on April 1 cited the “potential for presymptomatic transmission” as a reason for the importance of social distancing. 

On 6/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, cookj5 said:

This link is to a story that ran on Michigan Live. They got four experts on infectious disease to rank 36 different activities as to the level of safety from covid-19 and some things you might consider before engaging in them. The experts didn't always agree on their threat rankings, so the rankings were averaged and disagreements noted. I found it very useful, since most of the activities are similar to what expats might consider here at Lakeside.

https://www.mlive.com/public-interest/2020/06/from-hair-salons-to-gyms-experts-rank-36-activities-by-coronavirus-risk-level.html?fbclid=IwAR05qyKn9vrwze-laHSHO1Nb93wHH1OanQUW2oZhDjXlnGh66dReIGCG5nM

Excellent resource for evaluating risk. Thanks for posting.

The WHO has walked back that quote above from Monday that asymptomatic carriers don't spread Covid 19. There's a big breaking article in WaPo, and I get a lovely paywall there so that's out as a source. . KTLA.com:

“What I was referring to yesterday in the press conference were very few studies — some two or three studies that had been published that actually try to follow asymptomatic cases, so people who are infected, over time, and then look at all of their contacts and see how many additional people were infected,” Van Kerkhove said.

“And that’s a very small subset of studies. So I was responding to a question at the press conference. I wasn’t stating a policy of WHO or anything like that,” she said. “Because this is a major unknown, because there are so many unknowns around this, some modeling groups have tried to estimate what is the proportion of asymptomatic people that may transmit.”

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/who-walks-back-comments-about-rare-asymptomatic-transmission-of-coronavirus-calling-it-misunderstanding/

• Like 1

On 6/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, cookj5 said:

This great article does not address risk for arson or rioting, wonder where that falls.

thanks for posting

19 hours ago, Sea said:

The WHO has walked back that quote above from Monday that asymptomatic carriers don't spread Covid 19. There's a big breaking article in WaPo, and I get a lovely paywall there so that's out as a source. . KTLA.com:

“What I was referring to yesterday in the press conference were very few studies — some two or three studies that had been published that actually try to follow asymptomatic cases, so people who are infected, over time, and then look at all of their contacts and see how many additional people were infected,” Van Kerkhove said.

“And that’s a very small subset of studies. So I was responding to a question at the press conference. I wasn’t stating a policy of WHO or anything like that,” she said. “Because this is a major unknown, because there are so many unknowns around this, some modeling groups have tried to estimate what is the proportion of asymptomatic people that may transmit.”

https://ktla.com/news/nationworld/who-walks-back-comments-about-rare-asymptomatic-transmission-of-coronavirus-calling-it-misunderstanding/

Question is, was the walk back political or medical?  :D