Chapala.com Webboard

Wifi coverage to remote part of property

We've tried a wireless range extender with no luck , so I want to run a 30 meter ethernet cable to the remote area and then have a device which broadcasts wifi from there.  What kind of device is available locally or Mercadolibre ? Thanks

3 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

We've tried a wireless range extender with no luck , so I want to run a 30 meter ethernet cable to the remote area and then have a device which broadcasts wifi from there.  What kind of device is available locally or Mercadolibre ? Thanks

A regular WiFi router.

8 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Hundreds on Mercado Libre.  Many on Amazon.mx.  Many on Amazon.us that ship to Mexico.   Stick with reputable brands like Netgear, Linksys, Asus, TP-Link.  

PC Mag Best Routers 2020

16 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

A regular WiFi router.

I found a TP-Link router also on ML, will there be any compatibility issues connecting to the Telmex router ?. Do I simply program in the Telmex password  ?

11 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

I found a TP-Link router also on ML, will there be any compatibility issues connecting to the Telmex router ?. Do I simply program in the Telmex password  ?

First of all, the place you're running the cable to:  How much area do you have to cover with your wireless signals?

56 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

You would use the password of the secondary router to log on through it.

It is better if you buy a dual band WiFi, the 5 MHz band is less used, reduced interference, and is data transfer faster.

It is no big deal to add routers.

22 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

It's a separate casita so not huge

OK, you'll have no problem.  That's a very small coverage area.  You'll plug the cable into your modem at the house and run it to the wifi router in the casita.  The wifi router will have it's own separate network/password from the house modem.  I would look at these: Best Wifi routers under $100

Ubiquiti Unifi system is your best option.   Run cables from your switch to a couple of remote points and install dual band Unifi access points at each.  You run a management program to configure them   They can mesh connect too and your devices can seamlessly roam.  Very popular in the Raquet Club. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

It is better if you buy a dual band WiFi, the 5 MHz band is less used, reduced interference, and is data transfer faster.

Unfortunately the 5MHz band is less useful in Mexico since it does not penetrate our steel/cement walls as well as 2.4MHz.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

Unfortunately the 5MHz band is less useful in Mexico since it does not penetrate our steel/cement walls as well as 2.4MHz.

Well I guess my walls are inferior to yours, I get faster bandwidth with it.