Chapala.com Webboard

I am not understanding about beer sale at Walmart

I went to Walmart and they had at the end of an aisle a 5-foot tall stack of six packs of beer. There was no tape blocking them off so I took one six pack. At checkout, the girl said that it could not be sold because it had too much alcohol in it.

I was surprised because it was not blocked off with tape and I didn't know that there were different levels of alcohol in beer. I am not a Beer Drinker but I was going to give this to some workers on a hot day.

I would appreciate if somebody could educate me on this point.

1 hour ago, donenrique said:

Also, what time did you try to buy?  Was behind a woman in Walmart last week who wanted to buy a couple of bottles of wine and she was told no alcohol sales before 10am.   

Interestedly, I went by Paz this morning a bit before 10 AM and noticed it was closed. It may have always been the case but for some reason I thought it strange and I think that’s the only reason I noted it. Maybe a new law or temporary rule during the pandemic.

4 hours ago, JRPJR said:

Interestedly, I went by Paz this morning a bit before 10 AM and noticed it was closed. It may have always been the case but for some reason I thought it strange and I think that’s the only reason I noted it. Maybe a new law or temporary rule during the pandemic.

I bought a bottle of wine at Paz this morning about 10. It is all so arbitrary.

14 minutes ago, RickS said:

Just an FYI..... beer is never 12% alcohol.

Never speak in absolutes. There are many more at 12%.

Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail

Imperial IPA, 13%
Gypsy/Stratford, CT

5 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Never speak in absolutes. There are many more at 12%.

Evil Twin Molotov Cocktail

Imperial IPA, 13%
Gypsy/Stratford, CT

Right!  I know better.  So I'll say 'most of the beer consumed is between 4-7%.

12 hours ago, RickS said:

Just an FYI..... beer is never 12% alcohol.  Generally runs between 4-7%.  If beer can't be sold then NOTHING can be sold as everything else is nor alcohol content.

You have obviously never heard of Barleywine. You should read this article.

https://www.foodandwine.com/drinks/what-barleywine

One can always find an exception to the norm. Angus is one who IS going to find it post it.

This Post started out talking about beer in Walmart at Lakeside. The beer there and probably the beer that 99% of the folks Lakeside are drinking is between 3.9% and 7% alcohol. Corona light is 3.9%, Dos Equis is 4.2%, Modelo Especial is 4.4%, your Molson is 5%, Stella and Negra Modelo are 5.2%.

18 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Is there an aceptable exception to the use of an absolute statement starting in, "beer is never"

I've already Posted one mia culpa to that Mr. Angus.  Do you require another?