Chapala.com Webboard

Driver's License

Most importantly, your insurance will not cover you if you drive with an expired license.... if closed in Chapala, go to Guad... 

We take people into Guadalajara for new and renewals

7 hours ago, mudgirl said:

And you know for a fact, do you, that if licensing offices were all closed in an area, that a transito, who would be well aware of that, would fine you anyway?

And you would trust them to not or just shake you down? 

Just go get the renewal and use a service like Spencer's or a number of others if one doesn't feel comfortable doing it on their own.  The cost spread out over the four years of the license is nominal and the people who provide this service really know how to make it fast, safe and easy.

3 hours ago, HoneyBee said:

I would not recommend travelling to Guadalajara for the moment. Suggest you check the video posted on the Informador website today and you will understand why.

And that would be why exactly?  If you are referring to the demo/riot in front of the Government Building last night, that was to protest the death of a young man taken into police custody in Ixtlahuacan for not wearing a mask (his brother got away)  and then (apparently) beaten up in police custody.  News says he was supposed to be released next day, but when family tried to find him they learned he had been transferred to Hospital Civil where he died from massive trauma.

So as long as you stay away from downtown core, and are in the city on the daytime, you  should not be affected at all.  Get your renewal at Plaza Torres near Hospital 46 right off Lopez Mateos.

Meanwhile HUGE investigation under way.... Alfaro has intervened, the mayor of Ixtlahuacan is under scrutiny (as he should be), and cops are suspended. Shades of Minneapolis???

I agree.

If someone has a need to go to renew a drivers license in GDL security is the same as always.  As to Covid  the govt offices are sanitized nightly, social distancing is required as are masks. Most have been modified with plastic barriers. 

Driving without a license can cause big problems if you  are in an accident. A big fine if stopped by police. 

It is easy for someone to recommend that you drive with an expired license.  Will they pay your fine, pay the cost of an accident, or bail you out of jail if needed? 

Just now, Natasha said:

And that would be why exactly?  If you are referring to the demo/riot in front of the Government Building last night, that was to protest the death of a young man taken into police custody in Ixtlahuacan for not wearing a mask (his brother got away)  and then (apparently) beaten up in police custody.  News says he was supposed to be released next day, but when family tried to find him they learned he had been transferred to Hospital Civil where he died from massive trauma.

So as long as you stay away from downtown core, and are in the city on the daytime, you  should not be affected at all.  Get your renewal at Plaza Torres near Hospital 46 right off Lopez Mateos.

Meanwhile HUGE investigation under way.... Alfaro has intervened, the mayor of Ixtlahuacan is under scrutiny (as he should be), and cops are suspended. Shades of Minneapolis???

https://www.facebook.com/142847552399153/posts/3570495299634344/

sure go as a group  and put yourselves at risk.  i think Spenser could maybe see if conditions could be met just to renew licenses in Chapala. I am sure it could be easily monitored here for safety rather than full crowds in Guadalajara and full carloads.

Happy are you talking about renewing your drivers license not your plates??? we called yesterday and in guad . It is a month wait

On 6/5/2020 at 10:28 AM, happyjillin said:

I paid for my renewals at the office on Degollado where you also pay for and get your plates and carry the receipt in the car.

for an appointment, drove over to the new Chapala office not open why not ???. I have lived in  Chapala for many years and the government services are not user friendly to say the least sorry just ranting

49 minutes ago, phil in mexico said:

Happy are you talking about renewing your drivers license not your plates??? we called yesterday and in guad . It is a month wait

for an appointment, drove over to the new Chapala office not open why not ???. I have lived in  Chapala for many years and the government services are not user friendly to say the least sorry just ranting

Paid for renewing my 2 drivers licenses only,then went to the office here that does the issue procedure after payment, to find it closed.

Okay I just need confirmation from Phil who paid for renewing drivers license at the office at degollado actually got an official receipt and what paperwork did you need to get this receipt. I also do not know if this would cover any problems if transisto police stopped you anywhere.

Paying for a drivers license renewal and getting a drivers license renewal are two distinct actions.  Having a receipt might work ....might ..... 

Call your insurance agent and get a written opinion from them...... will your insurance be valid if you simply have a receipt for payment of DL. 

Logically you could go deposit the proper amount in an account for a residente permanente. Never fill out an application. Would your  receipt protect you from being deported? 

2 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Paying for a drivers license renewal and getting a drivers license renewal are two distinct actions.  Having a receipt might work ....might ..... 

Call your insurance agent and get a written opinion from them...... will your insurance be valid if you simply have a receipt for payment of DL. 

Logically you could go deposit the proper amount in an account for a residente permanente. Never fill out an application. Would your  receipt protect you from being deported? 

The two you mention in your analogy  are not even close in function.

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

The two you mention in your analogy  are not even close in function.

Mr Spock would disagree with you....

Ok try this.      Pay for your license and have a receipt.   You go to get the license and can't pass the vision test.    Are you driving legally because you have a receipt?    

17 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

Mr Spock would disagree with you....

Ok try this.      Pay for your license and have a receipt.   You go to get the license and can't pass the vision test.    Are you driving legally because you have a receipt?    

Another irrelevant analogy because a renewal which is what is being discussed does not require an eye test. Just your payment and receipt,your old license and a bunch of documents, numerous copies thereof, to prove who you are.

Just now, happyjillin said:

Another irrelevant analogy because a renewal which is what is being discussed does not require an eye test. Just your payment and receipt,your old license and a bunch of documents, numerous copies thereof, to prove who you are.

Ok so you don't have all the documents necessary when you apply ........ Will your receipt serve as a drivers license?   Logically the receipt is not any proof you have the ability to re-new your license.  

Sorry. Usually I agree with  you, but with this one your receipt idea is just not logical.   You need a current license in hand to drive and as far as I know to have valid insurance in Mexico.

Going to GDL to re-new (as we needed to do for many years) isn't a death sentence.  The govt offices are sanitized nightly. Everyone is wearing masks. There is social distancing.   Plexiglas panels separate applicants and workers. Probably a lot safer than going to Walmart. 

• Thanks 1