Chapala.com Webboard

Corruption Increasing

Mainecoons

According to this:

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/agency-reports-significant-increase-in-corruption/

The federal government’s anti-corruption agenda has succeeded in reducing people’s perceptions of the scourge but has not actually curtailed it, according to a study by the federal statistics agency Inegi.

Published on Thursday, the biennial National Survey on Governmental Quality and Impact shows that 87% of those polled in 2019 believe that corruption occurs frequently in government institutions, a 4.1% decline compared to 2017, the second last year of the corruption-plagued administration led by former president Enrique Peña Nieto.

However, the Inegi study found that there was in fact “a statistically significant increase” in corruption in 2019 – the first full year of President López Obrador’s administration – compared to two years earlier.

Inegi found that 15,732 people per 100,000 inhabitants were victims of corruption in 2019, a 7.5% increase compared to the 14,635 victims in 2017.

The statistics agency also found that the incidence of corruption increased from 25,541 acts of corruption per 100,000 residents in 2017 to 30,456 in 2019, a spike of 19.2%.

• Thanks 1

References to OT political post removed.

Perhaps some here don't remember when shakedowns of expat motorists by the Transitos and other cops were very common here.  The rising corruption reported by Mexican authorities is of concern to us all.

Carry on.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Jreboll said:

You want to use this forum as your bully pulpit to critizise the Mexican government. Wait until word gets around and see how far that gets you. 

Uh amigo, the reports are from the Mexican government.  I am simply repeating what they are reporting.  You didn't appear on this board until 2015, perhaps you missed a lot of the mordida issues around here.  If you have issue with the reports I suggest you take it up with the issuing agency (INEGI) and publications (Mexico News Daily and El Informador).

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Fred Habacht said:

How about something positive about Mexico for a change...like very light virus problems in our area, like everything is opening up again ....?

From the eyewitness reports I've received your municipio has not succumbed to the excesses of some others for which you should be grateful.  I note, for example, on my last trip out that Joco was not running Constitutionally illegal checkpoints that are turning people away because of their address.  (https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/coronavirus/municipalities-dont-have-authority-to-restrict-access-feds/)

And despite this, there's no CV reported there.

Something very positive about Jocotepec municipality IMO.

I don't know about  that, I do know that most of us who have lived in this country have been hit with these shakedowns and don't care to have them come back.  I never encountered this anywhere in the U.S. Canada or Europe so I would have to question your unsupported ubiquitous assertion.

Again, as it seems you are having trouble understanding I am not the source of these reports, they are from a Mexican government agency as reported by two local publications.  There's not politicizing going on here except in your imagination. 

Believe me, there's nothing political about being pulled over and shaken down for mordida buy a crooked cop wearing a gun.  I posted this as a heads up that the Mexican government is alerting us the old shakedown problems are on the upsurge.

From the source:

Just under 60% of those acts were related to interactions between citizens and police, Inegi found. An example is a police officer asking for a bribe – the famous mordida – from a person who committed, or allegedly committed, a crime in exchange for not proceeding with a formal charge.

As for your second sentence, if you have something to address to me personally, use PM.  We do not get into personal discussions here.  

• Like 2

Around 2004-2008 I could not go to Gdl without being stopped and asked for mordida. There was one motorcycle cop in particular that I got to "know" better than I wanted to. He spoke perfect English and you couldn't get away with claiming no espanol. We finally agreeed to a monthly plan that let me go without being stopped every time. We owned Casa Flores BnB at the time so  constantly had to go into Costco, Sam's etc. as well as the flower market. When we moved to PV in 2008 I was never stopped once in 10 years and I have never been asked for a bribe in the US or Canada.

• Like 2

I could tell you a similar story   I used to visit Monterrey and I would pass through a small town where a cop would be in the same corner always.  If someone would pass by with Texas plates he would blow his whistle and if you stopped he would walk on over and extract a mordida from you. Regular visitors would keep on driving. He didn’t have a car so he couldn’t follow you.  If you ever told locals that a cop stopped you they would just laugh at you.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Of course I could talk of corruption elsewhere but I’m not supposed to so we’ll make believe it only happens here.

You really seem to have a problem that probably could be better served by complaining about your treatment here with your like minded friends  on another venue of which you are a member in good standing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

38 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

Of course I could talk of corruption elsewhere but I’m not supposed to so we’ll make believe it only happens here.

We are all adults. We all understand that corruption takes place in many countries. This board is about Mexico.  This forum  is:  Any and all questions about Mexico not specific to Lake Chapala area.

If anyone wants to discuss politicians, or politics in say... France,  Italy, USA, etc. It would make sense to join a discussion board in the appropriate country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What you call corruption is not even on the radar for many Mexicans. In fact many, including myself, have used this system to my advantage, especially for semi govermental functions without much oversight. It is the same all over the world. When I worked, after graduation, for a prominent, extremely conservative and politically connected law firm, I chose not to pursue a legal degree because I could see all the limitations that would be imposed on me. To become a lawyer, especially at the international level, involves activities which would get you disbarred in most jurisdictions. Run by those hypocritical, non voted for experts, who have had their kick at the can, and now want everyone else to follow their solemn mandates. Sound familiar?

• Sad 2

There’s an old story that when Texas rangers would capture Mexicans they would just dig a hole in the ground and put them in there. Someone asked, “what happens if they try to climb out? And the answer was, the others will just pull him down”. And that’s where we’re at.  The real corruption is at the top “we just don’t want them Mxcans taking advantage of us.”

1 hour ago, Jreboll said:

Oh, now we have another complainer of Mexican corruption.

If you're referring to me, nowhere did I say anything about that but I did suggest in great detail that you practice your moaning about your treatment on this board somewhere else with your cyber friends.-SNORK!

pedro kertesz

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I quickly learned that if a cop blows a whistle do a quick scan to see if he has access to a vehicle. If not keep going. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

If you're referring to me, nowhere did I say anything about that but I did suggest in great detail that you practice your moaning about your treatment on this board somewhere else with your cyber friends.-SNORK!

Yeah, Pedro, I'd have that SNORK! looked at, it appears to be chronic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

What you call corruption is not even on the radar for many Mexicans. In fact many, including myself, have used this system to my advantage, especially for semi govermental functions without much oversight. It is the same all over the world. When I worked, after graduation, for a prominent, extremely conservative and politically connected law firm, I chose not to pursue a legal degree because I could see all the limitations that would be imposed on me. To become a lawyer, especially at the international level, involves activities which would get you disbarred in most jurisdictions. Run by those hypocritical, non voted for experts, who have had their kick at the can, and now want everyone else to follow their solemn mandates. Sound familiar?

"You" isn't calling it corruption, the Mexican government and press is.  And I seriously doubt there were a lot of expats in their survey.

But this "you" certainly agrees with how they label it.

To me it is a positive sign an influential national agency is raising the warning flag here.