Chapala.com Webboard

New Phone scam from 331-085-7693

55 minutes ago, Out1 said:

331 is also the exchange for local Telcel phone numbers.

Actually the area code be it on Telmex or Telcel for Guadalajara was 331 then when they ran out of numbers it went to 332 then 333.

Finally like in Mexico City they took the first two numbers and 33 which is now the area code for Guadalajara and unlike us lakeside where we have a private number of  say 766-1234 in Guadalajara, their local numbers are one number larger because their area code is smaller, you know 1234-1234 instead of 766-1234 or showing both your area code and your number, in Guad it might be 12,1234,1234 while lakeside it could be 123,123,1234.

I hope this isn't too confusing but either way we both dial or press10 numbers on our phones

None of that matters...If someone claims to be a "long lost friend or relative" ..."do you know who this is?"...or seems be fishing for you to recognize him/her, just tell them to F---OFF and hang up. I have gotten a couple of these calls and who cares what phone # it originates from? The bottom line is that they are looking for a soft hart to send money through OXXO for some sort of "emergency" they have have run into trying to make a "surprise" visit to you, or some other concocted reason. This is their "JOB".   

receiveed same call last year and he asked me do remember who he is said he was my nephew, i answered are you my nephew Joe, he said yes. i do not have a nephew name joe

whats up,  he said i needed to go to oxo and send him $5000 pesos he lost his wallet, i said well joe i remember i owed you  1 million pesos, what oxo do you want to send it too.

he hung up

12 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I find it's much more fun to string them along for 10 minutes. Agree to do it. Then when they call for the code number I can't find it..where did I put it....oh no I lost it. 10 more minutes. Better than TV

Here's a classic 3 minutes:

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

I find it's much more fun to string them along for 10 minutes. Agree to do it. Then when they call for the code number I can't find it..where did I put it....oh no I lost it. 10 more minutes. Better than TV

Best response. Something to kill 10 or more minutes when isolated.

Decades ago there was a scam when I put an item on Craigslist, I got an email saying the person wanted to buy my "item." Only thing is, he was going to have a company that owed him money, make the check to me. The check would be more than the cost of my "item" and asked me to send him the difference when the check cleared. I said fine, and got the checks (I did this about 4 times). Of course, the check would have cleared in 4 days as per federal regs. But what would have happened is when the fake company saw the check come in, they would have the bank reverse it to my account. I still have 3-4 of the checks. Very authentic from real companies, but of course fake.

On 5/21/2020 at 8:29 PM, Mostlylost said:

I like how you think and agree...…... can you hold please? 

• Haha 1