Chapala.com Webboard

Clumbsy gringo helpful Mexicans

Yesterday my car a/c went out so I went to EuroFreeze next to Gossips to get it repaired . As I got out of my car I tripped over a broken curb and fell HARD . Before I hit the concrete , Manuel and one of his helpers were there to help me up . Lots of blood , cuts and bruises but nothing broken . Sore as hell today . As soon as I was up and while I was trying to stop the bleeding which is no easy task since I am on blood thinners , Manuel went to the Farmacia next door and came back with bandages and other stuff to treat my wounds . He never hesitated to do this and would not take a single peso although I offered him a nice amount . Needless to say there were a lot of tacos and cokes for Manuel and his men today .  Don't feel sorry for my accident because I know I need to be careful when walking in the village but rather concentrate on the great kindness shown by these guys . I am not looking for reviews of their work because that wasn't the important thing in this case .Please give them your business should the need arise . Their phone number is 331 584 5209 .

• Like 18

These are the real Mexicans. I had a similar incident a few years ago. Went to "The Ranch" on my ATV and got stuck in some mud. No way could I get out.

A pickup truck w/two Mexicans saw me; they jumped out of the truck, waded into the mud and muscled my ATV out. When I pulled out my wallet to thank them they the older one, probably the father, just waved me off and said in Spanish, "Have a nice day," and left.

This is so different than the places that will short change you and cheat you in so many other ways.

The real Mexicans are IMO, great people, hard working and honest. May the Fates treat them well.

• Like 3

On the other hand, our exlandlady, Mexican, always impeccably dressed and " ladylike"( meaning her style of wardrobe) fell in front of Superlake, broke her wrist, no one would help her. She had to call her son from his work. Another time, parked my truck in front of Paz Licores, another lady, obviously Mexicana, well dressed but casual, tripped on the nasty cobblestones there, no one would help her. I got out of my truck but admit I was nervous as well. I was strong enough, at that time, to lift her off the ground with a bear hug lift, but thought she or someone else might think this was an impropriety. So I told her to use the bull bars of my truck to lift herself up, they would easily hold her weight. She did that, shuffled off under her own power, thanking me, her dignity damaged more than anything else.

8 minutes ago, CHILLIN said:

On the other hand, our exlandlady, Mexican, always impeccably dressed and " ladylike"( meaning her style of wardrobe) fell in front of Superlake, broke her wrist, no one would help her. She had to call her son from his work. Another time, parked my truck in front of Paz Licores, another lady, obviously Mexicana, well dressed but casual, tripped on the nasty cobblestones there, no one would help her. I got out of my truck but admit I was nervous as well. I was strong enough, at that time, to lift her off the ground with a bear hug lift, but thought she or someone else might think this was an impropriety. So I told her to use the bull bars of my truck to lift herself up, they would easily hold her weight. She did that, shuffled off under her own power, thanking me, her dignity damaged more than anything else.

Not a good examples about "Mexicans" helping people as the 2 places you mention are frequented mainly by foreigners. Cudos to you as a foreigner helping like "most" Mexicans would. I fell on my head,leg and arm[lots of blood], 2 weeks ago and 2 neighbours who were near rushed to my assistance as well as a stranger Mexican lady on a bike stopping too making sure that I could get into my house.

2 hours ago, Upfront said:

what the hell are non real mexicans then?

I was speaking of real Mexican culture, his sincere honest friendly hard-working people that make up the majority of this country to me, they are the real Mexicans. The Mexicans that look to rip people off, especially Gringos, do not reflect what I believe to be the true culture of the Mexican people.

7 minutes ago, Upfront said:

i think you are overthinking

... or not thinking enough. Mexican people are people. There are sincere, honest, and hard-working PEOPLE in all countries and cultures. There are also PEOPLE everywhere who are out to rip off the unsuspecting, especially those from other countries.  Both kinds are real people, real parts of the countries in which they live. 

• Thanks 2