Chapala.com Webboard

Mauricio - El pato has passed RIP

Yesterday the poison alcohol claimed another victim; Mauricio, who many knew by 'duck' - 'el pato'. He cared for the LCS gardens for a number of years up until last year. Some of you may have turned compost with him. I did not know him well but what I did, revealed a gentle and happy soul.

He loved to hike the mountains in search of herbs and roots [and occasional artifacts]. He is gone much too young and I will miss the friendship which was in the making.

• Sad 1

He was also known in the 6th esquinas  as Huicho(sell) He lived on Francisco Villa. and was helping many dogs...It is sad to hear how many people died and otehrs are in the hospital 2muy grae".. A woman made punch and  one person died and another is in the hospital because of the bad alcohol as well..

Thanks for posting this sad news, Tim. I loved Mauricio, getting to know him over the four years I worked with him in the garden. He made working there a treat and an education in the uses of plants. We've lost a real fun-loving, people-loving, gentle, always helpful and enlightened soul. Descansa en paz, Mauricio, amigo...

57 minutes ago, carmelbaloney said:

I knew Pato for many years. He was so gentle and sweet.  He always had a good sense of humour and a twinkle in his eyes.  Rest in Peace dear sweet Pato.  

6C884AF8-B838-4CFE-920B-B85C031D1341.jpeg

Thanks for the great photo. Mauricio's nephew, [a close friend] and I are thinking of doing some sort of memorial plaque. We are looking over some photos. Is it okay to consider this one? 

• Like 1

People are buying this alcohol because they have always bought it not because of the ban but soething went wrong. My maid who grew up on Francisco Villa where EL Pato lived told me that a lot of alcohol is being sold and many use it for pain, they use it as a balm and not to drink but I guess something went wrong and the bad stuff was sold for drinking.. It is a real sad story...

• Like 1

Everyday I walk to Ajijic from SAT and most days somewhere along the route I would see him. We would smile and say a few words.  Always a kind look. I could tell when he was late and I would gesture get moving and we would both laugh. He knew everybody. Always seeing him talking to someone new. He was a people person.

I first knew him at LCS. I was the cat wrangler and he would bury my cats that died. A tough job but he saved me many additional tears. Now my tears are for him.  My walk into town won't be the same anymore.

HAPPY to report (for those like me who don't use FB) that ALL of Mauricio's dogs are adopted or else in shelters. This was achieved by a caring of a group of foreigners who knew and loved him, and resolved that NONE of his animals would be put down. The cat is at a local vet office to be spayed and then her future to be determined also.

Mods:  This might be more appropriate in Furry Friends but int his case, hope you will agree is more likely to be viewed by more on this page.  Gracias.

• Like 4

So sorry to read this sad news, R.I.P. Mauricio.  Thinking of his family during this difficult time.  :(

Val Jones

On 5/14/2020 at 3:04 PM, timjwilson said:

Thanks for the great photo. Mauricio's nephew, [a close friend] and I are thinking of doing some sort of memorial plaque. We are looking over some photos. Is it okay to consider this one? 

As you did, Tim, I also worked with Mauricio and always looked forward to seeing him at the garden, and after a while, all over town. Have you checked out Dionico Morales's facebook page or La Peña de Santos Rico's? There are some good pictures there of Mauricio, including in his role as a village shaman hosting events at the gallery on Constitución. I sent an email to Sandy B at LCS promoting the idea of a bench there, and/or plaque, tree planting, photo, etc. Another thought would be to commission Dionicio to make his friend's portrait to have hung at LCS.

What do you think?

Tom

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2020 at 9:58 AM, tombo said:

As you did, Tim, I also worked with Mauricio and always looked forward to seeing him at the garden, and after a while, all over town. Have you checked out Dionico Morales's facebook page or La Peña de Santos Rico's? There are some good pictures there of Mauricio, including in his role as a village shaman hosting events at the gallery on Constitución. I sent an email to Sandy B at LCS promoting the idea of a bench there, and/or plaque, tree planting, photo, etc. Another thought would be to commission Dionicio to make his friend's portrait to have hung at LCS.

What do you think?

Tom

sent PM