Chapala.com Webboard

Governor's Speech on reopening

Just now, jojana said:

How about we take this seriously and stop posting jokes as this is part of the problem why no one is taking it seriously.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with actual funny jokes relating to the virus- we all need a good laugh once in awhile. But making light of it, or equating staying informed and taking whatever precautions one feels is necessary with being "fearful" or "paranoid" is condescending and ignorant.

• Like 4

On 5/14/2020 at 6:41 PM, Rick Sanchez said:

All that is needed is one person to start the spread of the virus within a group. 

Think of it like an STD... 🤔

Every time I see STD in a post it reminds me of a BBQ I had in Texas a few years back with a young couple from California.  They loved the brisket and asked where I bought it so I said HEB.  The woman freaked out and asked "Is HEB a STD?"  I just lost it.  I know off topic, pero ni modo.

If you are from Texas you get it, if not just move on.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, jojana said:

How about we take this seriously and stop posting jokes as this is part of the problem why no one is taking it seriously.

Not meant as a joke.  Meant to keep things in perspective. something that seems quite lacking with this situation.

On his FB page the Governor is comparing Mexico statistics to those from China as a justification for creating 30 percent plus unemployment.  Seems everyone but he knows the Chinese numbers are blatantly false.

• Thanks 1

I guess you forgot all the "XX is going to kill us all" from the media that accompanied much if not most of that list.

I'd be glad to help you remember with a long list of credible citations but no doubt you'd find being shown incorrect once again as condescending and ignorant.  So I'll skip it.  Pointing out at those times that the reaction was over the top and putting things in perspective didn't change the minds then either. 

(edited so as not to add to the upset over my little history reminder.)

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I read scores of news articles every day from the USA, Mexico, and around the world via news.google.com to get the broadest information and perspective available, especially as CV is a worldwide problem.  It's smart to look at the countries who have already been down the worst roads before CV hit so hard in the USA so we could plan accordingly.  Here is an update on what they have learned in Spain:

https://www.vox.com/2020/5/16/21259492/covid-antibodies-spain-serology-study-coronavirus-immunity

About those other "prophecies" which didn't come true, some of those were simply dumb rumors started by people who like to appear smarter than they really are, as if they have some real inside info - like the conspiracy theorists.  The 1999 Y2K "scare" was no joke.  It was based on the fact that nearly all computer systems and programs (which were work and business oriented before computers became toys for kids) had time/date info deeply embedded into nearly all their programs.  Having been recently developed in a fast changing environment in the 80s and 90s, no one thought anything of formatting dates as mm/dd/yy .  However, the brighter bulbs, looking forward to the future, were genuinely concerned about what would happen when the yy of 99 would roll over to 00.  "0" could have a lot of meaning in older computer programming.   Seriously no one knew what would happen.  Would the computer systems crash?  Keep in mind that business systems were still new and nearly all businesses made some use of time/date but especially accounting systems, airlines, bus lines, trucking companies - which haul most of the consumer goods in the country.  It was thought possible that if all these systems crashed on the same day -New Year's Day - that there could be a lot of resulting chaos.  Not paranoia, a reality based fear.  The brighter bulbs fixed most of this before it happened, hence, there was no big Y2K crash.  That is why we need to heed the advice of the forward looking people, not those who cling to the past in all matters.

I'm deeply into multi-dimensional Mayan Cosmology, the most important thing I have encountered while living in Mexico.  The Maya NEVER said the world was going to end in 2012.  That was just stupid fear mongering to create paranoia and make a blockbuster movie playing on those fears.  Others poo-poohed the whole thing.  The Mayan truth, which they have known for thousands of years, was that on Dec. 21, 2012, there were very strong and rare planetary and galactic alignments which greatly affected Planet Earth.  That day was the end of a  5, 125 year old calendar, but also the beginning of a new one.  We are moving into a new era of higher consciousness on this planet, although it doesn't look that way now.  These changes do not happen overnight, the human race couldn't absorb that.  Change takes time, but that is exactly why there is so  much chaos in the world right now.  It us up to us humans to create a better world for ourselves as the old tired dense energy dies off or is destroyed.  It is both an individual and collective effort.  BTW, the Maya also knew that 2012 was also the end of a 10,000 yr. and a 26,000 yr. cycle at the same time.  3 Major intergalactic cycles.  How did they know all that?  Stargazing?  I'll leave that up to you to ponder.

• Like 3

It was meant as a reminder that things are never as bad as they appear at the time and in due course we can expect some of the dire predictions here will prove to be groundless just as many other dire predictions have before.  History does repeat.  That was the only point I was making here. 

Here's a fun read on that as well:

https://www.relativelyinteresting.com/13-failed-predictions-couldnt-wrong/?utm_source=org

Can we move on?

Hi there, 
I have read this over, and am unable to see anything about whether cleaning / gardening staff could return to work. If anyone sees a clear guideline in this or another report, please let me know!

Also, there is no mention about whether people can go out again for reasons other than "essential".  Is this something brought up in another report? 

Thanks so much.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Pretty much everyone is approaching this on an individual basis.  Some have their gardeners working but maids still on furlough.  Some have both working and some have none working but they are paying them since there is no unemployment insurance in this country.  People need to work to live.

We have both working.  We maintain safe distance from gardeners and maid, maid wears mask and gloves when working.  We transport maid so she doesn't use public transport.

Make your own call on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, ibarra said:

Mexico is mentioned in this article. Most deaths in a single day world wide.  

https://www.foxnews.com/world/brazil-coronavirus-cases-surge-latin-american-pass-italy-spain

I don't think anyone has read the part about MX in this article as there have been no replies.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/brazil-coronavirus-cases-surge-latin-american-pass-italy-spain

8 hours ago, ibarra said:

I don't think anyone has read the part about MX in this article as there have been no replies.

Your paraphrasing is inaccurate--the article says "on that day" not "in a single day." The stats also appears not to be accurate: Mexico had 278 deaths,, USA 865, Brazil 485, France 483. It's also very important to understand where each country is in the curve of the epidemic, which heavily factors into the death toll as well as to draw false comparisons between countries based on a death toll on a given date--that's likely where the similarity ends--the date. The European countries that peaked well (up to five weeks) before us are now descending the curve; we in Jalisco have nearly a month to go before we hit the apex. General health and nutrition, population counts, population density, and even type of housing are all factors for contagion and spread of SARS-C0V-2. We are not through this by a long shot, but Mexico's imposition of Sana Distancia and ¡Quédate en casa! will significantly reduce the "what could have been."

Here's perhaps a more reliable source than the one you posted: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/?utm_campaign=homeAdvegas1?" \l "countries

• Like 1