Chapala.com Webboard

Ilox

8 hours ago, artsnob said:

My Ilox internet has been on and off the last two days in Ajijic centro...any one else having the same...

Now that you mention it I've had several brief periods where the bandwidth dropped below 3 mbps. Lasted maybe 5 minutes. That's in SAT.

SunFan

After one good day yesterday the recurring loss of connection returned this morning. See if your downtime is the same.

All of the normal modem lights are on. Speeds start to slide toward zero until finally every page request returns no internet connection. I power off the modem and then restart. After waiting the 30 seconds or so for the boot to finish, the lights return to normal but now there is internet.

Now the question I’ve asked ILOX many times with no response. What is the maximum download speed that can be expected when connected wifi? The best I’ve seen is on an iPad Pro sitting next to the modem and that is 50mb. Speeds generally drop rapidly every meter one moves away from the modem. 

I have the 300mb package and can get 280mb connected with cable but if I can only get 50 on wifi, would I get the same with a less expensive package?

Anyone getting better than 50 on wifi on a package at that level or higher and using the ILOX modem?

8 minutes ago, artsnob said:

My computer man is trying to download some Directvgo stuff on my new smart tv an the speeds are so low it won’t go the last two days, he is going to try again this morning...

Try powering the modem off and on again and see if that makes a difference. There is a power button on the back. Do a speed test before and after. 

I’ve had to restart the modem 4 times this morning.

We have one computer that gets 80 to 100 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up on WiFi directly through the Ilox modem. Computer is a small Acer tower and is within 10 feet of the Ilox modem.

My Lenovo laptop is 15 feet away and I am lucky to get 50 Mbps down.

We have the original 100 Mbps package; located central Ajijic down by the lake.

Is this..... terrible wifi performance.... not a from-the-git-go problem with iLOX???  Either get a mesh system or attach a 'low-cost' router w/wifi hardwired to the modem. 

Also, I'm wondering if at Lakeside all Internet speeds are not lower due to sequestration?  Surely is here in Colorado where before I got 100mbps down w/cable but now lucky to see a consistent 30. 

8 minutes ago, RickS said:

Is this..... terrible wifi performance.... not a from-the-git-go problem with iLOX???  Either get a mesh system or attach a 'low-cost' router w/wifi hardwired to the modem. 

Also, I'm wondering if at Lakeside all Internet speeds are not lower due to sequestration?  Surely is here in Colorado where before I got 100mbps down w/cable but now lucky to see a consistent 30. 

We've had no issues at all with west-side Telmex fiber optic before or during this self-isolation; I'm still getting 25% more speed than contracted for and no problems with WiFi... even on the terrace without mesh or a repeater. 

I know this is a very different experience than many have with Telmex, and I hope it gets better for all of you. 👍

4 hours ago, artsnob said:

My computer man is trying to download some Directvgo stuff on my new smart tv an the speeds are so low it won’t go the last two days, he is going to try again this morning...

If it's a new TV,  it should have an ethernet port.  I don't know how close your TV is to your modem, but if it's feasible, this would be the best solution.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:21 AM, RickS said:

I think it is simply a modem wifi problem that may be difficult to resolve but we'll see. 

After ILOX got into my modem and made some changes last week (made a report), my wifi printers no longer worked. My desktop is wired. The printers work fine with my wife's laptop on wifi so I did a fast.com test wired which returned 280mb, pulled the cable and connected the tower wireless. Amazingly the printers worked but the same fast.com test returned a blazing 20mb. The tower is almost touching the modem so distance played no role.

I disconnected the wifi, plugged in the cable and the 280mb speed returned but as expected, no printers. Still waiting on a technician to come and 'splain how this can be.

Well I have the 300 service and am using a access point connected to the ILOX modem.  On the 2.4 band 25 feet from AP I can get 75 to 80 using WIFI.  Now if I use the 5.0 band I can get 150 to 200. Pretty consistent results. Don't know if higher speed of 5.0 band is due to higher frequency or less contention for WIFI frequencies. Negative is 5.0 doesn't go thru walls. If you are line of sight from WIFI box I strongly support using 5.0 band.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:21 AM, RickS said:

And turn off the WIFI on the ILOX modem. Its a button on side of unit with a light on front.  Save the bandwidth for the mesh or access point.

On 5/18/2020 at 7:24 AM, lcscats said:

And turn off the WIFI on the ILOX modem. Its a button on side of unit with a light on front.  Save the bandwidth for the mesh or access point.

Is the wifi button the one on the side of the modem that is not labeled to the left of WPS button? Or is it the WLAN button?

3 minutes ago, RickS said:

.... and Diego González is who?

Diego Gonzalez is a young man Oregon to Chapela cited in another thread as needing work and offering a wide range of services (everything from lawn mowing to electronic solutions).

Edited by kam
typo
  • Thanks 1

Diego González Borrayo. 332 149 9217.  gonzalez10diego@hotmail.com. I have him coming tomorrow morning Friday to do a lot of other stuff, he is a wonderful find...stuff I can’t do myself, and knows tech stuff...he lives Ajijic centro..but he can go any place and speaks better English than me..

I just bought an ASUS Dual Band Gigabit Router on Amazon Mexico and set it up as a wireless access point on my ILOX network.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/gp/product/B01LXL1AR8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ILOX wireless speeds are all over the place rarely exceeding 20-30mb even next to the router. Lots of drops too. With the ASUS AP the drops seem to have disappeared and the wireless download speed is about 200mb, just a little under the wired max.

3 hours ago, artsnob said:

Where can I buy lakeside a router to work with my WiFi on Ilox modem...

Like John Shrall said, a wireless access point is your best option.  I use one and my speeds are almost identical to wired speeds and I'm about 20 feet from the router.  Just remember that this doesn't replace your Ilox modem, it plugs into it via ethernet cable.  And remember to turn off your wifi on the Ilox modem after setup, as you don't want a lot of wireless signals in your house.