Chapala.com Webboard

Quedate en Casa Extended to May 17

14 hours ago, bedbug said:

Everyone in a panic about this should read Edgar Allen Poe's The Masque of the Red Death.

Written in 1919, it predicts what the "experts" are trying to, and the ultimate outcome, quite well.

Not to be overly pedantic, but Masque of the Red Death was published in 1842.  Poe's writing career ended when he died seven years later.  Any similarities to the Spanish flu of 1919 are coincidental.  It still might be a worthwhile read.

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 8:09 AM, Paco Loco said:

The Governor must be unaware of there being no COVID 19 cases Lakeside? The draconian Dr. Fauci must be advising him. They have to stop moving the goal posts as they are killing what’s left of the Mexican economy.

No "reported" cases.  This may be because there has been almost no testing.  Best to be safe.  

My Doctor mentioned to me at least a month ago that he knew of three or four (I don't remember which) cases of Corona Virus lakeside. None of these cases were in the greater Chapala, Ajijic, Joco area.

On 5/1/2020 at 10:00 AM, Mainecoons said:

What I see happening is when lockdowns are lifted it just flares up again.  Sooner or later it is going to have to run its course.  The overall average death rate will be in the 2-3 percent range.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/759445/coronavirus-cases-spike-germany-japan-china-lockdown/

It is impossible to eradicate a virus with lockdowns IMO.  There is always a reservoir.  Most people can survive it and the rest will either need to quarantine until a vaccine is available or take their chances.

Meanwhile, the economic damage and explosion of poverty among the general population is happening exponentially.  The first world is trying to cover it by printing money, the second and third worlds are simply letting people starve.

I've come to the conclusion lockdown is not a viable strategy.  We don't have it now locally (we think but don't know) but as soon as the barriers come down, in two weeks or two months or longer, the tourists will bring it here because it is not going to be eradicated by this tactic.

Just my 2 pesos.

MC, this is so much what I've been saying since "this" all began...but you put it so much more eloquently than I ever could.

I continued to shop, get a massage, etc, and had others call me selfish, stupid, and/or other choice words, but my point was that if you feel unsafe, then YOU can wear the mask and gloves, hose yourself down in gel, etc. Of course, that's now OBE, but when it was optional, it was MY option. I didn't spit on food, cough on others, etc, and tried my best to respect distances. Meanwhile, I took (and still take) the normal sanitary precautions and haven't had so much as a light sneeze. I honestly think that the worst thing we can do is hide indoors unless we have compromised immune systems because the healthier you are, the better your chances. I realize that it's not an option for everyone, but you can still go out to your garden and move around in the glorious sunshine. Do whatever you can to get moving. And why ANTIBACTERIAL gel when it's a virus? I know there are many who will disagree with me, but I still wish everyone good health and hope this soon ends.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Walmart was selling beer yesterday (Saturday) but not wine.  Yesterday the yellow tapes were removed from wine shelves but you could not buy wine, only beer.

Does anyone know if wine is available at Walmarts today (Sunday)?

Lexy

10 minutes ago, Tingting said:

MC, this is so much what I've been saying since "this" all began...but you put it so much more eloquently than I ever could.

I continued to shop, get a massage, etc, and had others call me selfish, stupid, and/or other choice words, but my point was that if you feel unsafe, then YOU can wear the mask and gloves, hose yourself down in gel, etc. Of course, that's now OBE, but when it was optional, it was MY option. I didn't spit on food, cough on others, etc, and tried my best to respect distances. Meanwhile, I took (and still take) the normal sanitary precautions and haven't had so much as a light sneeze. I honestly think that the worst thing we can do is hide indoors unless we have compromised immune systems because the healthier you are, the better your chances. I realize that it's not an option for everyone, but you can still go out to your garden and move around in the glorious sunshine. Do whatever you can to get moving. And why ANTIBACTERIAL gel when it's a virus? I know there are many who will disagree with me, but I still wish everyone good health and hope this soon ends.

I was jumped on here big time for having massage therapist,hairdresser,housekeeper and a bunch of construction workers still come to MY home too. We take precautions but we don't obsess. I have many medical issues that if I do get covid-19, I would probably be dead in 24 hours or less and yes I know it's painful drowning in your own juices.

• Like 2

On 5/1/2020 at 8:09 AM, Paco Loco said:

The Governor must be unaware of there being no COVID 19 cases Lakeside? The draconian Dr. Fauci must be advising him. They have to stop moving the goal posts as they are killing what’s left of the Mexican economy.

It's about people, not money. What good is money if many are dead? People should be priorities, not money.

I posted this on another thread but I think maybe it is better here.  

I just can't visualize things getting anywhere near normal by September/October.  All that is going on now is the disease is being temporarily suppressed by draconian lock downs which really can't continue near long enough for a vaccine to be developed, tested, manufactured and widely used.  The news I saw this morning is the best case scenario for having a vaccine is the end of the year/early next year.  Then it has to be applied in massive numbers to provide the required herd immunity.  Realistically we're looking at 10 months and that is best case.

When the lock downs come off long before then the disease will become more active again.  We're beginning to see reports of that. 

There are only two ways to run the course:  herd immunity via infection and for most all, recovery.  Or a vaccine that produces same without near the loss of life that mother nature's approach has.    

I can't believe anyone seriously thinks the economic damage just a couple months of this policy has created can be tolerated for another 10  months.  That is just not logical.  Even the countries with a serious safety net are going to run out of money and borrowing capacity.  In a country like this that has none to speak of, people are going to starve in large numbers unless they take matters into their own hands. 

It wouldn't be the first time for that in Mexico, not by a long shot.

30 minutes ago, Alli said:

people live through this, economy rebuilds, money returns. it's gonna hurt, though. our parents survived the great depression.

Empathy does not appear to be your forte. The reality is that many more people will die from economic world wide disaster in 3rd world  and developing countries. Mexico is a developing country and has a large population of vulnerable FAMILIES.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, happyjillin said:

Empathy does not appear to be your forte. The reality is that many more people will die from economic world wide disaster in 3rd world  and developing countries. Mexico is a developing country and has a large population of vulnerable FAMILIES.

Time will tell. I've always thought that people should come first. Whose economies are people REALLY worried about -- others or their own?

• Sad 1

Around here it is the little people getting burned.  WalMart is still open, Soriana is still open but many of our mom and pops who might have 1-2 customers are closed.  There is no justice or logic in this.  Those aren't the rich folks standing in the food line across the street from my house.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Around here it is the little people getting burned.  WalMart is still open, Soriana is still open but many of our mom and pops who might have 1-2 customers are closed.  There is no justice or logic in this.  Those aren't the rich folks standing in the food line across the street from my house.

I hear you! I sometimes shop at Soriana, not WALMART,  but most of my buying is from mom and pop shops where I live, along with shopping at the local butcher, tortilleria, polleria. I'm certainly not in favor of big box stores. Before we moved south, I hadn't darkened the doors of a WalMart in almost 25 years. Long time local buyer -- always have been.