Chapala.com Webboard

Walmart - Ground beef?

Carnivore

For a number of years we have purchased ground beef from Walmart.  We buy 80/20 grind for both burgers and pasta sauces.  We've always been very satisfied. Yesterday we bought two packages identified as 80/20. Approx. 500 to 600 gm prepackaged.  We formed the contents into our normal 5 oz. burger patties but noticed that there was virtually no texture to the meat and it seemed to be quite "wet".  We barbecued two patties for burgers last night.  The burgers were totally tasteless,  mushy and wouldn't stay formed.  After a single bite of each burger,  we gave up and ended up adding the "burgers" to the food that we make for our dogs this morning.  If it doesn't affect them adversely they'll likely be fed the remainder of the whatever it was that we purchased.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem lately?  This was only our second visit to Walmart in the last month. As a result of our experience yesterday we probably wouldn't risk another visit to buy meat!

Tony's son Caesar always has far superior meat but yesterday we had other items we needed from Walmart and simply wanted to avoid visiting an additional store.

7 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

For a number of years we have purchased ground beef from Walmart.  We buy 80/20 grind for both burgers and pasta sauces.  We've always been very satisfied. Yesterday we bought two packages identified as 80/20. Approx. 500 to 600 gm prepackaged.  We formed the contents into our normal 5 oz. burger patties but noticed that there was virtually no texture to the meat and it seemed to be quite "wet".  We barbecued two patties for burgers last night.  The burgers were totally tasteless,  mushy and wouldn't stay formed.  After a single bite of each burger,  we gave up and ended up adding the "burgers" to the food that we make for our dogs this morning.  If it doesn't affect them adversely they'll likely be fed the remainder of the whatever it was that we purchased.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem lately?  This was only our second visit to Walmart in the last month. As a result of our experience yesterday we probably wouldn't risk another visit to buy meat!

Tony's son Caesar always has far superior meat but yesterday we had other items we needed from Walmart and simply wanted to avoid visiting an additional store.

That 80/20 Walmart ground beef used to be wonderful; like you, I purchased it and praised it for years. 

About 6 months ago (or more) I stopped buying 80/20 ground beef from Walmart for exactly the reasons you described.  It was (and continues to be, from your description) disgusting--about a half step up from "pink slime".   I started buying 90/10, and it was equally gross.  I have bitched and moaned to in-store management and to on-line customer service, but to no avail.  I have no idea what the heck they're selling, but it is NOT ground beef.  <shudder>

I still occasionally buy ground beef from Walmart, but only the Sonora or the Angus.  It's far too expensive, but at least up until now it is actual ground beef that one might want to eat.

18 minutes ago, More Liana said:

That 80/20 Walmart ground beef used to be wonderful; like you, I purchased it and praised it for years. 

About 6 months ago (or more) I stopped buying 80/20 ground beef from Walmart for exactly the reasons you described.  It was (and continues to be, from your description) disgusting--about a half step up from "pink slime".   I started buying 90/10, and it was equally gross.  I have bitched and moaned to in-store management and to on-line customer service, but to no avail.  I have no idea what the heck they're selling, but it is NOT ground beef.  <shudder>

I still occasionally buy ground beef from Walmart, but only the Sonora or the Angus.  It's far too expensive, but at least up until now it is actual ground beef that one might want to eat.

We go to the butchers at the Chapala Mercado where they grind it to our specs.My wife does it now and Being the fussy meat guy I am she gets it done to perfection . lots of fat for doing burgers less so for other things and you know its fresh. Never bought it at Walmart, Tony's and no more at Soriana.

I think they are adding fillers and extenders. Have you ever tried those frozen patties, arrachera, deluxe etc. They suffer the same problem. Once in a neighborhood cookout, in our yard, someone asked for burger, they said scorched. So that is what they got, don't forget this is on a 700 degree Thai Bucket stove. The patties were cooked but still gooey at the core.

I don' t know about the legality of this, they save about 30% with these additives. I guess if they label it " hamburger meat" rather than "100% beef" maybe they are O.K. Someone should let Walmart know we are onto this dirty trick. Maybe it is just some rogue meat department manager looking for a bonus or promotion.

• 2 months later...

WE found the same thing with Walmart -- the 80/20 is disgusting !  We could not buy it anymore.  Tried to form patties and it stuck to my hand like glue.

We now go to Tony's butcher shop in SAT and much happier and worth a few pesos more.  Even get the sirloin ground up in front of us there and about 140 per kg.   

• Like 1

You'd think they'd catch on that people are refusing to buy and they're losing out.. Ground beef is a staple for many so they must have done a high volume business and surely notice that it's declining... It's infuriating that their meats are all becoming suspect; have heard unpleasant things about the chicken as well.

The best ground beef for my world famous Pedroburger,we buy from the out door butcher at the north west corner of the Chapala Mercado. She double grinds what appears to be beef suet as requested with the red meat. I don't go by %'S and probably have her add a touch more than 20% for juicyness[sic], cooked thoroughly not any redness showing because that's a dangerous thing. It matters not what cut of meat that you use,the fat is the thing. Same for meatloaf. Less fat ground in  for other dishes.