Chapala.com Webboard

Stanford Doctors Calls for Ending Full-Blown Lockdowns

Jim Bowie

48 minutes ago, 4fingersfreddy said:

Yet people are getting sick all over Texas. 874 new cases yesterday.

New cases mean nothing. Death is the concern, and Texas is a LONG way from the 11,000 deaths from The Flu in 2018-2019. There was no alarm about that much loss of life to keep the economy up and running, so I would think that same number (or more) would be acceptable this go around. We are 4 months in on this and the Flu was for a total time of 8 months. Many hospitals in Texas basically shut down in anticipation of many serious cases from this virus and people gave up appointments of other health concerns and procedures. Those numbers of serious cases never manifested themselves.Now, some of those people need to have those procedures, or they might become one of those dead stats. Texas was/is ready and can handle the situation. so now they are getting back to opening up the state. Whether you agree with that , makes no difference. Texas was settled by people who faced danger and death most days of their lives and fought for and won their independence. Texans are strong, not weak. Weak people can stay home. No one will be forced to get out of their comfort zone. 

• Sad 1

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...uh...don't get fooled again." --George W. Bush

Shame on you Jim Bowie, you've been fooled again. Texas sits in fourth place among states with the fewest number of covid tests per capita, so you can't see what's coming your way. The death rate is climbing and the spillover of infections into Mexico is creating havoc along the border.

• Like 2

Don't get political and those of us with those checks coming in and not having to worry where their next meal is coming from might want to think about this:

https://www.vallartadaily.com/un-warns-that-the-coronavirus-pandemic-will-generate-a-global-famine/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+VallartaDaily+(Headline+News+from+Puerto+Vallarta)

There is no free lunch and there is no lunch at all for far more people than the relatively few that MIGHT be killed by this virus.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jim Bowie said:

.......................... Texas was/is ready and can handle the situation. so now they are getting back to opening up the state. Whether you agree with that , makes no difference. Texas was settled by people who faced danger and death most days of their lives and fought for and won their independence. Texans are strong, not weak. Weak people can stay home. No one will be forced to get out of their comfort zone. 

Well, that pretty much says it all....

• Haha 3

I posted this video in the Ajijic/Chapala section but it was deleted almost immediately.  So, here is the full video.  Please watch both parts.  I know you if you watch part 1 you will immediately watch part 2 because it his an intelligent and logical response debate.  These two guys are just smart!

• Sad 3

No, they are not.  You don't achieve what they have in life and be done.

What they have is a strong opinion based on a very limited anecdotal experience.  It would take far more reports of this kind to achieve any sort of statistical significance.  That is the nature of anecdotal experience, it has to be very broad and widespread to show a definite trend or happening.

One of the contributions these and others in CA and Germany reporting similar anecdotal results is that it is spurring more rigorous investigations into the possibility they are raising.

The idea the virus is much more widespread in the population would have a profound impact on containment strategies going forward.  Another important determinant is the durability of the virus.  If in fact it is widespread and durable, lockdowns of everyone is doomed to failure.  As soon as people get out and start moving and interacting it would come back.

In fact that is what is starting to be reported.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/759445/coronavirus-cases-spike-germany-japan-china-lockdown/

Fine. If you want to be politically correct, what they are stating in the videos is based on their own limited knowledge and experience. That's dumb. Especially to extrapolate their limited knowledge and experience to the whole world.

One of the purposes of social isolation and lockdowns is to prevent the virus from overwhelming the existing medical infrastructure and to provide time to devise a treatment and possible cure. Another purpose is to protect the frontline workers from constant, repeated exposure to infection. Wanna just let it run wild through the general population? Then let the New York example be your guide.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, alex45920 said:

One of the purposes of social isolation and lockdowns is to prevent the virus from overwhelming the existing medical infrastructure and to provide time to devise a treatment and possible cure. Another purpose is to protect the frontline workers from constant, repeated exposure to infection. Wanna just let it run wild through the general population? Then let the New York example be your guide.

Do you honestly believe the world can stand a crashed economy for the time it will take to do this?

Do you have any idea how much suffering there is among just the people of this country already?  Do you think the U.N. is kidding when they predict an explosion of poverty if this goes on much longer?  Do you understand that poverty already kills far more than this virus ever would?

50 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Do you honestly believe the world can stand a crashed economy for the time it will take to do this?

Do you have any idea how much suffering there is among just the people of this country already?  Do you think the U.N. is kidding when they predict an explosion of poverty if this goes on much longer?  Do you understand that poverty already kills far more than this virus ever would?

[crickets]

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

No answer.  No surprise.  :D 

Well MC, if you asked me a series of "Do you honestly believe.....Do you have any idea....  Do you think the ....... and Do you understand that....   I probably would not jump back into that conversation either. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, RickS said:

Well MC, if you asked me a series of "Do you honestly believe.....Do you have any idea....  Do you think the ....... and Do you understand that....   I probably would not jump back into that conversation either. 

Off to band camp!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, RickS said:

Yeah especially if I couldn't address them.  They are all fair questions if someone is following the reports of the many months it will take to find, test, make and distribute a vaccine.  They are fair questions to ask given the many reports of how the use of respirators is actually killing many and the fact there really is no treatment other than palliative.  They are fair questions if one is following the reports of the cases going back up as soon as lockdowns are eased.  They are fair questions to ask in view of the many reports of how the destruction of the economy is costing lives and exploding poverty.

They are fair questions to ask of people who have the security of an independent income if they really understand what it is like to be out of a work and unable to feed yourself or your family without handouts.  There's a letter to the editor in this weeks GDL Reporter from the Tepehua group about what is happening there.  It is pretty sad.  I suggest everyone read it.  This is happening here where many are helping with feeding the now hungry thanks to this endless lockdown.  Imagine what it is like in places that don't have this resource.

I do understand that the world is trying to grapple with these questions.

The lock down is not endless. Authorities everywhere are trying to save lives based on the best information they can get at the moment. https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-lockdowns-successful-evidence-from-around-the-world-2020-4?r=MX&IR=T

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Excellent article Sea! This line in it stood out to me... "The strategy assumes that citizens will exercise personal responsibility — something that has been harder to enforce in other, larger countries."

Personal responsibility. That is a "WE" approach as opposed to an "I" approach. Those who are considerate of others and how their behaviour affects others will win this race. It would also appear that the pain is short term as opposed to a long painful dragging out of the infection rate.

Stay the course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

It doesn't appear that way at all or else the cases wouldn't be going up in Europe and China when restrictions are eased.  This virus and the many asymptomatic carriers of it will not go away with a few months lockdown.  What goes away with these policies are the ability of millions maybe billions to support themselves.   Come May 17 Covid-19 is going to be with us still.   Ditto for June 1.  Ditto for July 1. And so on.  

Americans and Europeans have had enough of this failed policy and they are walking away from it.  Mexicans are walking away by operating more and more under the table.  People cannot be expected to just sit there and lose everything and maybe starve.  More will get it and most will survive but they are going back to work regardless of what the government says.

At some point it needs to be realized we don't control nature.  We've made this a recurring problem with over population combined with massive tourism and travel.  Something starts anywhere it spreads quickly.  Sometimes we get caught flatfooted without either a treatment or vaccine, hence the word "novel" which is attached to this particular CV.  Sometimes, the less healthy and older are going to get killed when something like this happens.  We need the healthy taken care of first to provide the resources to sustain the very costly response.  Sending everyone home and then paying for "the solution" by massively printing money is replacing one disaster with another.  

There are going to be more of these pandemics, count on it.  Being members of the highly vulnerable population we are doing what we can to limit our personal exposure.  Until vaccines or effective treatments are developed, that is all we can do.  These policies aren't going to save us.