Chapala.com Webboard

ER Physician Drops Multiple COVID-19 Bombshells

Jim Bowie

Here’s the other side of the story. Let’s understand that Kern county only has one major city(Bakersfield), is mostly desert-like withnsparse population. If these doctors want to learn about pandemics they should go visit New York. And you my friend should be smart enough than to paste such a one-sided story.

https://www.turnto23.com/news/coronavirus/kern-county-public-health-does-not-concur-with-statements-made-by-accelerated-urgent-care-doctors

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Well I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.... even doctors.... and post what they please.  But, I don't know why that, in their presentation, they found it necessary to try and bolster their credibility by casting doubt on the credentials of Dr. Fauci.....and basically suggest that those in power using the word 'safe' are subliminally and in reality just wheeling control over you. Additionally I did have to wonder how their stance might have something to do with whether or not these young doctor's ER businesses were being hurt by the 'orders from above'. 

YMMV

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jreboll said:

An ER doctor is basically a jack of all trades and master of none.

While I definitely don't think he's qualified to be encouraging people to stop isolating, there is one thing, at least, that ER doctors are the masters of. They are really good at stitching up wounds very speedily and in a way so as to leave the least amount of scarring. Much better at this than your GP would be, simply because they have so much more practice at it. A nurse friend clued me in on this many years ago.

3 hours ago, RickS said:

Well I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion.... even doctors.... and post what they please.  But, I don't know why that, in their presentation, they found it necessary to try and bolster their credibility by casting doubt on the credentials of Dr. Fauci.....and basically suggest that those in power using the word 'safe' are subliminally and in reality just wheeling control over you. Additionally I did have to wonder how their stance might have something to do with whether or not these young doctor's ER businesses were being hurt by the 'orders from above'. 

YMMV

He wants his 5 minutes of fame...  I have to go now and drink some bleach/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These doctors in the video are private co-owners of 5 urgent care clinics. In other words, they are not only doctors, they are private businessmen. Rich ones, no doubt. More people coming in sick sounds like more profits for them. They aren't in the public health sector. It would be pertinent to know what their politics and agenda are. And self-isolating for a few months isn't going to weaken anyone's immune system- the statement that not going out and exposing oneself to posible coronavirus infection is going to make your immune system weaker is ludicrous. And saying it's no worse than the flu is simply a lie. These guys have an agenda, and it's not about putting out important information for the public good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I see a lot of ad hom here but not much addressing the points made.  Suggesting that these professionals hold these opinions because they are trying to make money off of sick people without any factual basis is pretty sad IMO.  CV cases aren't treated in Convenient Care facilities.  They are doing testing. 

The comment about being pressured to label everything as CV is hardly new and coming from diverse sources.  

This is one of those things that illustrates the growing diversity of opinion among professionals about this situation and the great need to try and get some broader data about just what percentage of the population, not just the acute cases, is actually affected here and how.  With the help of sensation driven media CV seems to have developed a constituency of its own and it is important to avoid bias and advocacy in the analysis of this situation.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jreboll said:

There are so many suppositions and wrong conclusions in the things that they say that if you don’t see them I’m not going to go over them point by point.  Mainecoons, stop being so dumb and do some reading so you can learn something.

Reading what you post here I can pretty much guarantee I do a lot more reading than you do.  Now try and handle difference of opinion without being personally unpleasant.  BTW you seem to be assuming I agree with everything they said.  Go back and read my post until you understand I did nothing of the kind.

And while you are at it, make a feeble attempt at least to support your opinion.  I realize it is much easier to post insults than it is to post well thought out and supported rebuttal.  Take this as an opportunity to sharpen up your game.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Ad hom! Really?  

OK, IMO the points they made were couched, in a disrespectful way, to what the majority of the world doctors, epidemiologists and scientists are saying. What was their reason to come forth with the presentation? Do they think that they alone have the answer and so many others are wrong?

Everyone has a right to voice their opinion and they did theirs.  We also have that right. I find it sad that you think it's sad that we voiced those opinions without going through an exhaustive search to uncover their reason to produce this video. This is just a Forum for god's sake.

• Like 1

Bunch of people went to the beach this weekend in CA.  It will be interesting to see if a noticeable uptick in cases follows within the next two weeks.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/735979/coronavirus-california-heatwave-ignore-social-distancing-stay-home/

The video was produced by a local TV station, Rick.  It wasn't an advertisement.

I saw no disrespect in it, I did see blunt disagreement.  They are not the only ones suggesting the young and healthy have little to fear from this virus.  It is no accident that so much of the death toll has occurred in countries with big elderly populations, like Italy and Spain, and in nursing homes.  If I recall correctly something like half the deaths of CV have occurred in nursing or "care" homes.  Yes, if you google that you will see multiple stories confirming that.

I don't think any of us thought it was an 'advertisement' Bob.  

I saw plenty of disrespect.... and conspiracy statements as to how we are being manipulated.  You didn't. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

And should I understand from your comment that, if there is not a large uptick in cases/hospitalizations/deaths in the next few weeks from San Diego to Los Angeles we should deduce that it's time to call off all the precautions, open up the country and just let the old and not so healthy folks die off? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Bunch of people went to the beach this weekend in CA.  It will be interesting to see if a noticeable uptick in cases follows within the next two weeks.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/735979/coronavirus-california-heatwave-ignore-social-distancing-stay-home/

The video was produced by a local TV station, Rick.  It wasn't an advertisement.

I saw no disrespect in it, I did see blunt disagreement.  They are not the only ones suggesting the young and healthy have little to fear from this virus.  It is no accident that so much of the death toll has occurred in countries with big elderly populations, like Italy and Spain, and in nursing homes.  If I recall correctly something like half the deaths of CV have occurred in nursing or "care" homes.  Yes, if you google that you will see multiple stories confirming that.

It is a myth that young and healthy people have little to fear from covid-19. The numbers are that 55% of those hospitalized for it are under 64 and 40% are under 55. Further, a full 29% are between 20 and 44. That's almost one out of three. It is true that nursing home patients are sitting ducks and those that are older have a greater chance of dying. However, you can still get very, very sick and require hospitalization if you are young. 

https://contemporaryclinic.pharmacytimes.com/news-views/cdc-55-of-covid-19-hospitalized-patients-are-64-years-old-or-younger

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, cookj5 said:

It is a myth that young and healthy people have little to fear from covid-19. The numbers are that 55% of those hospitalized for it are under 64 and 40% are under 55. Further, a full 29% are between 20 and 44. That's almost one out of three. It is true that nursing home patients are sitting ducks and those that are older have a greater chance of dying. However, you can still get very, very sick and require hospitalization if you are young. 

https://contemporaryclinic.pharmacytimes.com/news-views/cdc-55-of-covid-19-hospitalized-patients-are-64-years-old-or-younger

This does not state anything about "young and healthy". Can't find anything about what % had underlying health problems, which was the vast majority of deaths in NY. From everything that I have read, underlying problems seems to the the major factor. Got anything to the contrary?

• Sad 1

When B cells and T cells are activated by a pathogen, memory B-cells and T- cells develop, and the primary immune response results. Throughout the lifetime of an animal, these memory cells will "remember" each specific pathogen encountered, and can mount a strong secondary response if the pathogen is detected again.

The above quote taken from the link below, directly contradicts what the original OP link is stating. Our immune systems NEVER forget what they have been exposed to so to say that staying home is weakening our immune systems is rubbish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immunity_(medical)

However, in certain situations or disease states (like immunodeficiency etc.), our ability to mount a defence is compromised. One of those can simply be age or other co morbid states of illnss. Sometimes it's just a lifetime of abuse to the body. So...

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/slideshows/ways-to-boost-your-immune-system

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-coronavirus#bottom-line

I've been taking Vitamin D for a very long time and I've had one cold in twenty years. I don't drink and I rarely eat sugar and I get more than adequate sleep. YMMV.

Furthermore, if a COPD patient or a cancer patient dies in a car accident, what was their cause of death?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

CV cases aren't treated in Convenient Care facilities.  They are doing testing. 

These guys don't run a "Convenient Care" facility. Watch the video again. They run an "Urgent Care Center" and they said that their video is based upon what they have observed with their patients.

19 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I see a lot of ad hom here but not much addressing the points made.

The points made are suspect when I follow the money. And even then, I did address the points they made- they said it's no worse than the flu, when coronavirus has about 10x the daeth rate. They insinuated that nt going out for a few months was going to weaken your immune system, which is absurd. If you have a strong immune system, it's not going to disappear in a couple of months.

18 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

They are not the only ones suggesting the young and healthy have little to fear from this virus.

That isn't the point! It's immaterial.

Let me put it really, really, simply for you, using what happened between my 15 year old granddaughter and my daughter in Toronto. Before there were official isolating orders, my daughter , her husband and 18 year old granddaghter were already isolating. My daughter had a bad bout of pneumonia several years ago, so her lungs are compromised, and my son-in-law has some medical issues, too. The 15 year old was still sneaking out to hang with her friends, who were also sneaking out. My daughter sat her down and said "Look, if you get this virus, you probably won't get very sick, you might not even have any noticeable symtoms. But your father and I could die if you brought this virus into our home."

• Like 2

That's all fine and good but the numbers show very clearly this disease is not about the young and healthy.  Let me put it really simply for you.  Personal anecdotes do not negate large scale data and we have a ton of that and piling up rapidly.  

My personal anecdote is I have COPD and asthma and am 75 years old.  That puts me in the 10-20 percent or higher fatality bracket if I get this.  Am I being careful?  You bet.  Do I think that they should shut the world down for the young and healthy to try and protect me?

No.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mudgirl said:

These guys don't run a "Convenient Care" facility. Watch the video again. They run an "Urgent Care Center" and they said that their video is based upon what they have observed with their patients.

The points made are suspect when I follow the money. And even then, I did address the points they made- they said it's no worse than the flu, when coronavirus has about 10x the daeth rate. They insinuated that nt going out for a few months was going to weaken your immune system, which is absurd. If you have a strong immune system, it's not going to disappear in a couple of months.

We all use private for profit health care here.  Do you question their integrity as well, or is this more about they don't agree with your views.  They said for the young and healthy it is like the flu.  They did not apply that comment to everyone.

These guys, unlike Fauci who hasn't practiced medicine for a long time, are actually seeing and observing real patients.

As I said I don't agree with them entirely but I do agree it is time to shift the approach here to focus on as best as possible minimizing the impact on the vulnerable while recognizing that people gotta eat, work and live.

Maybe each of us should disclose whether they have an independent income or actually have to work in order to live.  I'll wager there isn't a one here in that latter category.