Chapala.com Webboard

Set up new laptop

kosika

I can offer some help, but I have to tell you it is not possible to change a Spanish keyboard to English. Not physically. You can tell Windows to think the keyboard is in English, but you will have to deal with learning where certain keys are actually located, such as the plus and minus, the dash and underscore, the question mark and exclamation point, and most likely the @ symbol.

Alternatively, you can plug in a USb-enabled standalone English keyboard, if you can find one here (sometimes yes, sometimes no), but then of course that changes the whole reason for having a laptop.

Now, a question: is Windows itself in English or Spanish? Cause that's a whole different story.

Contact me at 765-4156 if you would like more information.

• Thanks 1

I would like to suggest Mike, the Computer Guy. He knows what he is talking about and has been working in this trade for as long as I can remember. His contact information can be found in his post found above this post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kosika said:

A friend of mine has purchased a new Lenovo laptop and needs help setting it up and changing the keyboard from Spanish to English.
Any suggestions on a good computer person?
Thank you

Logitech K120 Ergonomic Desktop USB Wired Keyboard

I use an external keyboard with any laptop, since it makes typing so much easier. Laptop keyboards are frustrating to use, just don't have the key travel and tactile feel.

It's up to the individual to make the choices about their keyboard comfort and their operating system comfort. imho, computers are sufficiently complicated without throwing in a different language and different keyboard into the mix.

I have used an English extra keyboard with a usb connection on an ENGLISH laptop where the keyboard failed. That didn't require jumping through any extra steps. You need Mike the ComputerGuy to tell you what is possible to achieve in your personal situation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kosika said:

A friend of mine has purchased a new Lenovo laptop and needs help setting it up and changing the keyboard from Spanish to English.
Any suggestions on a good computer person?
Thank you

Through EBay you can order an English language Lenovo and have it sent here in about a week.  As Mike pointed out, changing a Spanish computer to English is not so easy.

If your friend decides to sell this Spanish computer, PM me with contact information.  I am needing another laptop for our incoming Oaxaca student #4.

If it is a popular laptop you can get an english keyboard. Its a little bit of work but they can be purchased from the maker of the laptop and an experienced tech can open it and swap out the keyboard out with an english one.  However you also need to switch the laptop configurations  to tell it where the new keys are.  I imagine computer guy could do that. Person said the laptop is already here so he may want to try to do this. Most techy folks suggest buying an english laptop and have it shipped here.  HP for example has a language code with the model number that indicates the language and keyboard layout.  English use to be option ABA for HP units.  I worked for HP for 23 years as an engineer but my knowledge may be a little bit out of date as time does pass. I still believe it can be done but not the kinda thing most folks can do without lots of help.  Taking apart a laptop can be easy or hard depending on make and model.  Agree or disagree computer guy?

If an auxiliary USB wired keyboard is under consideration, go Bluetooth or similar and select a model with a built-in touch pad.  Models like the Logitech K400+ or its' successors are cheap, light and easy on the batteries.  Using similar but better models I control multiple HDTVs connected to networked laptops with HDMI ports running Windows 10 from across a room or around the house.  It's easy in English, though for all I know there might be a Spaniard in the works....